Battery case question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kulczge

My TT has a single battery that is inside a plastic case and when I opened it to remove the battery for winter storage I found it had almost filled up with water! This is a new 2013 Aerolite TT and I have used it about 3 outings in the past few months. Of course we had quite a bit of rain but I wouldn't think it should fill up with water. The top part of the case has 2 vents (little slits) and the larger main body part has no drain holes or vents. My though would be that it should have some sort of drain holes but I want to know what others have.
Hope to hear from others soon!

The battery case on the tongue of our 2012 Grey Wolf is identical to all 3 of them in our boats.  There are no drain holes or vent holes at all.  But being that your case is on the tongue of the camper and not in the hull of a boat, just drill a couple holes in the bottom of the case and call it a day. Since on the camper the water will drain out through the holes in the bottom, but if in a boat they would let some water in.

Kulczge,
Our 5th Wheel Battery Box is vented top and bottom. I think the idea is to vent and hydrogen gas that might build up in the box. There is a 1.5? flexible tube running into the cover and a hole in the bottom right through to the roadway.
I think you may have been driving in the rain and accumulated road spray.
A pinch of baking soda in that water will tell you if it is battery acid.
Kamper Dave

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chaderic
Back
Top Bottom