Battery charger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jerrygroah

Hello all, I have been thinking of changing my batteries to the new deep cycle AGM types. The thing that is bugging me now is my built in battery charger. From what I have read about the AGM's you must have the "right" charger or you may ruin the battery(s).
We have a '94 Damon with a built in converter charger. It is a Magatech- Power Plus. The stated battery charge rate is 0.5 amps. It is a series 6300A, model #6345. The language on it states that it will taper off to a maintenance charge once the battery has been fully charged.
Does anyone have any first hand knowledge as to whether this charger will do the job?

Thanks, Jerry

Jerry,

>>Does anyone have any first hand knowledge as to whether this charger will do the job?

NO, it is not even good for golf cart batteries.  There is an upgrade, 7345?, for it but it only changes the charging current.  It is a linear charger and is not what you need.

I recommend a 3 stage charger for your use especially with the AGM batteries.  Check with your RV dealers or battery shops for a good charger.  You will also need a converter so that the RV lights etc. can be powered.  There are combination units of various sizes so you should be able to get one adequate for your needs.

Good Luck,

FWIW, I just added an inverter and 3-stage battery charger to my old Bounder when I added more 6V batteries.  I could have (and probably should have) purchased a combined inverter/charger unit, but I didn't.  I did leave my original converter in the RV but wired it so it only works when I use Gen or Shore power (not the inverter).  I mention all this, to say this:

I have unplugged my factory installed converter, and used my battery charger as a converter, with great results.  The battery charger has the smarts to provide the AMPS needed on demand and yet trickle charge the batteries when demand is low or removed. I have done this as a test only.  I haven't decided yet if this will be normal operation or not.  It's just nice to know that I have a backup plan available should I need it.  I'm thinking this is exactly what the more expensive composite units do.

This was a very 'round-a-bout' way of saying you need a "smart" charger for the newer technology batteries and integrated systems.

Thanks guys for all the info. I have come to the conclusion that I will go with what I have due to the extra expense of new chargers and converters. I was just wistfully thinking that I could avoid some work. Also that I would have a much better system than I have now, but the finicial aspects over-ride the desire to change.
In other words, I don't have the extra cash to switch.

Thanks again, Jerry

We have a '94 Damon with a built in converter charger. It is a Magatech- Power Plus. The stated battery charge rate is 0.5 amps. It is a series 6300A, model #6345. The language on it states that it will taper off to a maintenance charge once the battery has been fully charged.
Does anyone have any first hand knowledge as to whether this charger will do the job?

That's a crappy converter/charger no matter what type of batteries you have. It will boil any wet cell dry by consistently overcharging. I strongly suggest you find some $$ to upgrade in some fashion or you are wasting your battery money instead.  Magnatech used to have a plug in replacement for the innards of a 6345, which essentially made it into the somewhat better 7345.  They have since dropped that whole line of chargers, so don't know if the upgrade kit is still available. Best choice would be a replacement from Progressive Dynamics or Iota, with the SmartCharger feature added or (on some models) built in.  Probably around $180-$200.  Sometimes you can find a used one one on Ebay, for sale by someone who upgraded to a larger size or replaced their converter/charger with an inverter/charger system. There is little risk in buying these used - they last forever.

Just a thought...... One thing you might want to consider is instalation of an inverter/charger combination.

I did that with my MH.  Here are the advantages  (NOTE: I have a very good one, Xantrex Prosine 2.0, others I'm not necessarly suggesting this specific unit, but I'm surely not recommending against it either)

The major advantage of the inverter/charger is that you can generate 120 volts silently for running things like Televisions or Satallite receivers even when going down the road, or parked in the middle of the dessert next to other members of this forum. 

The major disadvantages are COST and the fact that watching TV etc burns up a lot of enegery (Runs the batteries down quickly) 

A good inverter will often have a configurable 3-step (level) charger as part of the package,  The Xantrex I have has presets for GEL, AGM Flooded and more.  it has over 2 dozen presets, and you can custom set it if you wish.

To be honest, for my flooded wet cells (Interstate Work-a-holic U220 golf cart batteries) I prefer the Progressive Dynamic Intellacharger with charge wizard... However I would not recommend it for AGM's

The Xantrex is ideal for AGM's however... And I suspect most of their competitors would be as well

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom