Battery cut off switch install ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rider10099

My old travel trailer didn't have a cut off switch and when I stored it I would just disconnect the batteries.  I will get my new Raptor 3612 tomorrow and would like to install a cut off switch.  I have read conflicting reports about installing on + or -  Is there a right or wrong - link to a photo of one done would be great.
Cheers
John

Well,,, It's kind of like this,  Install the cut off switch on ANY battery terminal with just one wire hooked to it,  That might be the plus, it might be the minus and if you have a pair of six volt golf cart batteries it maight be the in-between lead,  Any place you break the circuit, it's broken, it is that simple, don't matter.

Now, from a service viewpoint normally they tell you as a first step "REmove the battery negative lead" there is a reason for this and that is if your wrench should bridge the gap between the battery post and the frame while you are removing the ground lead, no harm is done.  However if you were to remove the HOT lead that way.... Very impressive

Glad I made it easy.. Had some fun today, Shortly after I got my class A I had an inverter installed (Xantrex Prosine 2.0) Well, it lost it's mind (Prosine memory error) so I had to box it up and ship it cross country.  The replacement arrived last week.

I spent today installing it.  Got it all hooked up and finally turned it no, No smoke, No sparks and no 120vac output (12vdc worked fine, charged the batteries and everything)  Found one of the AC-Out wires was not properly gripped by the twist on wire nut, had to re-connect it.  Worked great when I did that.

The old one would complain when we switched from "other power" to xantrex power,  So I tripped the breaker to OFF just to see how this one did (Lovely)  At Xantrex's suggestion I did some re-routing of wires

I've still got some work to do (It was after dark when I finished) Stuff like putting tools away and installing a switch for the other battery bank, but all in all, it's working as designed and as desired

rider10099 said:
My old travel trailer didn't have a cut off switch and when I stored it I would just disconnect the batteries.? I will get my new Raptor 3612 tomorrow and would like to install a cut off switch.? I have read conflicting reports about installing on + or -? Is there a right or wrong - link to a photo of one done would be great.
Cheers
John

On my boat and later on my TT I installed the battey switch on the positiive  line on the theory that both have grounded negative -- boat to water, trailer to frame.  Breaking the positive side eliminates all possible stray voltages and current flows.  Breaking on the negative side allow a circuit to still be made via metal contacting earth. 

I avoid sparking by using USCG approved sealed marine switches by Perko.  Worked like a charm in both cases over a 10 year span with each unit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom