Battery Disconnect

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SoldRV

Hello everyone, I recently removed my battery disconnect switch and when I plugged it back in there is no power. Seemed to work perfectly fine before unplugging. Not sure where to start diagnosing this. I’ve checked for blown fuses but haven’t found any. Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• 6A276E1A-69D7-46E7-8E1E-1CC865303C40.jpeg
    6A276E1A-69D7-46E7-8E1E-1CC865303C40.jpeg
    300.6 KB · Views: 3
There very well might be an inline fuse between the battery and this devise. Might look something like this
1659638234387.png

I removed because I am remodeling and decided to have it completely out of the way so I didn’t mess anything up accidentally, little did I know… haha.

Thanks SpencerPJ, I’ve never encountered a fuse like that, is there a way to test if it’s bad? Do I just hook a multimeter up to both sides and see if there’s current?

73718600-EBE8-4512-BB18-B079D4FCC5A9.jpeg
Looks like there’s some of those inline fuses here. No idea on how to see which one though or if it’s the right area.

Thanks SpencerPJ, I’ve never encountered a fuse like that, is there a way to test if it’s bad? Do I just hook a multimeter up to both sides and see if there’s current?
Yes, it is a simple break in the circuit. Mine, albeit a Travel Trailer, is about 5 feet downwind of where my positive connects to the battery. Keep in mind often RV 12vdc wiring, black is +, and white is -, so assume nothing. A meter will be your friend here, even just checking continuity.

Thanks for all of the replies, I finally found a manual online and was able to determine there are two 5amp fuses connected to/around the relay (in a very not so easy to see/reach area) and both were blown. After replacing, all is back to normal and switch is operational again.

For reference for others, this is the same relay as the one in the pic above, if you click on the pic and enlarge it, you can see the two fuses (blue arrows) peeking out from behind the gas tube (I need to make a better pic next time I am in that area.)

I have since sheathed the gas line in plastic split wire loom material (Harbor Freight or auto parts stores)

Charles

Attachments

• Battery relay and fuses.jpg
    Battery relay and fuses.jpg
    369.6 KB · Views: 8
there are two 5amp fuses connected to/around the relay (in a very not so easy to see/reach area) and both were blown.
Probably touched a wire to ground while the switch was out. Happens to all of us at times. That means that the fuses did their job and it is better to replace a couple of fuses than what they protect.

Back
Top Bottom