Battery Issue??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grashley

Well-known member
Joined
May 7, 2015
Posts
6,586
Location
Western Kentucky
I unplug the camper from shore power when I cut grass.  When I do, I lose ALL power in the camper, even 12V lights.  When I plug back in, all is good.  Using the battery disconnect to isolate the battery when plugged in, I get good voltage measured at the battery terminals.  Any thoughts??
 

Alfa38User

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 4, 2007
Posts
6,678
When you unplug, your converter ceases to produce 12V and it is no longer supplying 12V to your trailer. You will have to investigate the 12V distribution system and try to determine why the batteries alone are not supplying as expected. Starting info needed includes the make/model of converter and a wiring diagram of the system if possible. There may be relays in the converter that should be doing that.

The battery disconnect operated does not stop the converter operating (120V A/C) when plugged in, and thus you will still find that 12V (more like 13.5V) at the battery terminals. It simply disconnects the distribution of 12V to the trailer a little further down the chain. There are some items like the propane detector and perhaps, the break-away brake system that will likely still be powered as they may bypass the cutoff switch in many cases.
 

Howard R

Well-known member
Joined
May 3, 2005
Posts
567
Location
Minnesota
Connect the batteries using the "disconnect" switch and I think you will find all DC functions, lights,etc working. (except any AC  lights if you have them.)

When you are on shore power (or generator if you have one) the AC power powers the CONVERTER, which supplies DC power for lights, control voltage for frig, water heater, ect. and charging your house batteries.  If you have a good/smart multi stage converter, such as a Progressive Dynamics 92xx, it will not overcharge or boil batteries dry if left connected all the time.

Battery disconnect switches are only needed for longer term storage.

Let us know what you find.

Howard
 

grashley

Well-known member
Joined
May 7, 2015
Posts
6,586
Location
Western Kentucky
Update:

I understand how the converter et al work.

Today, after 24 hours off shore power, the battery measured 12.6V.

The disconnect is on the battery NEG, and disconnects EVERYTHING.  It is closed.  I installed it.

I have a WFCO 8930/50 power center and a WFCO 9875 converter.

Is there another disconnect associated with the Gen Prep option I should be looking for?
 

lynnmor

Well-known member
Joined
May 14, 2013
Posts
1,586
If you have a cheap disconnect switch, check the voltage on each side of the switch with the converter running.  The cheap red key type switches are junk.
 

kdbgoat

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 16, 2014
Posts
6,313
lynnmor said:
If you have a cheap disconnect switch, check the voltage on each side of the switch with the converter running.  The cheap red key type switches are junk.

I agree. One came on the last trailer I had. Only worked a couple of times, then I had to bypass it.
 

grashley

Well-known member
Joined
May 7, 2015
Posts
6,586
Location
Western Kentucky
The switch near the gen prep is an ON OFF switch, in the ON position.  When I turn off the 50A main breaker, no 12V power.  Gen Prep switch makes no difference.

My disconnect is similar to this.  Are these a problem?  Seems pretty simple.

https://smile.amazon.com/NOCO-ID220S-6V-24V-Battery-Disconnect/dp/B006EH9WUC/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1532391188&sr=8-7&keywords=battery+disconnect
 

grashley

Well-known member
Joined
May 7, 2015
Posts
6,586
Location
Western Kentucky
To close the loop...

I went out tonite.  With power on, good voltage at battery.  Dropped the MAIN breaker, lost 12V power.  Battery voltage still good.  Opened disconnect on the battery.  Battery good when measured at terminals, no good at disconnect.  Closed disconnect.

Went inside, and did not notice the light I had on (step light) was now working.

Pulled cover off the main panel.  12.7V at top of fuse panel.  12,7V from fuse out to ground.  Turned on an interior light and all is good.  Put panel cover back on.

It seems the disconnect, though closed, was not passing power.  When I opened it and closed it, all connections were good.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
120,587
Posts
1,211,525
Members
125,688
Latest member
TZARTOMJR
Top Bottom