Battery maintenance question: okay to use the charger converter to maintain a battery for a month?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JHFox

Howdy. My travel trailer has a charger converter, something my previous trailer from the 1970s did not. The trailer will be sitting for one month before our next trip. Is it OK to leave the trailer plugged in to shore power and let the charger converter maintain the battery? Is that too much wear (if that’s the right word) on the converter? I do have a battery maintenance device, new fangled “smart” trickle charger; would it be advisable to pull the battery and use that instead, vs the charger converter? Thank you!

I have the same converter charger on my trailer, and I've kept it plugged in for a couple months to shore power with no problems for the on board battery.

No need to pull the battery, simply connect the maintainer to the battery and disconnect your trailer from power. Many small chargers come with a pigtail that you connect to the battery making it very convenient.

My coach, with converter/chatger is plugged in nearly all the time that we are not traveling. Does a great job of maintaining the batteries.

Welcome to the forum. I see you’ve been a member for a long time but this is your first post. Don’t be a stranger

The answer depends on the converter/charger I will list two
Progressive dynamics wizard controlled NO PROBLEM in fact I recommend plugging in. Check fluid level in flooded wet cells before and after but Do not anticipate need to add DISTILLED water after (Before perhaps you may need to)

Magnetek 6300.. Absolutly NOT it will boil your battery dry.

Others.. Most modern converters are closer to the Progressive dynamics Wizard if your rig is a 2xxx odds are you have a good converter. 19xxx you need to know for sure.

JH,

You have gotten lots of similar answers, and none of them should be counted on until we know the make and model of the current converter/charger. It might be no issue at all as said above, or you might have a know battery killer.

So, please come back with the make and model and we will give you an answer you can count on.

Matt

Thank you everyone! I turned on the watch feature but was not notified of any replies. Sorry for the delay!!

It’s a 2015 Forest River. From what everyone has said, I take that to mean the charger converter is modern enough to not cook the battery 🤞. If that’s incorrect, unfortunately I cannot find anything pertaining to the make of the converter in the manuals that came with it, so I would have to remove a panel to see the brand. Let me know if that’s necessary.

I did plug it in to shore power and heard the converter kick on. It sounded like a small fan, which I expected. My next question is, is it OK to let run if it’s very hot here? It probably gets up to 95 in the trailer during the day. 😞. I’m wary of burning it out.

thank you! I will be sure to check back for replies.

The only issue is the trailer’s in the driveway and I would need to run an extension cord out to the battery. That’s perfectly doable, but unfortunately I do worry about someone stealing it. 😔

Back
Top Bottom