Battery Replacement Advice Request

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I mainly just want something to know i haven't drained it below that magical 50%.

I've met Mr. Sawzall, but haven't had much time with Buzz. Today might be the day.

In my article on RV Battery choices I try to explain in simple terms the tradeoffs among RV battery types.
You didn't say anything about how you use your RV, e.g. always with RV park hook-ups, occasional boondocking off-grid, etc., so we cannot even guess what the optimal choice may be. Nor can we guess whether you actually need 460 amp-hours of battery capacity. Many owners do not need that much, but some need even more.

Your present batteries are GC2 6V deep cycles and are a cost-effective solution for the usual RV battery needs, so the #1 option is a very reasonable choice. Properly used and maintained, those batteries should last 6-10 years. AGM deep cycles (option #2) of similar capacity (12v or 6v) would work well too and eliminate most of the owner battery maintenance requirements, but they cost somewhat more. Given that you are new and maybe not a battery expert, the extra cost of the AGM might end up being money well spent.

The lithium option is technically the best solution if you can afford the upfront cost, but maybe more than a new Rver wants to tackle at this stage.

You can get 6v GC2 batteries in the AGM type and they will drop tight into your existing battery box and wiring. Maybe not at a price comparable to the Renogy, though.

Last edited:
I mainly just want something to know i haven't drained it below that magical 50%.
Any particular reason? (there's both founded and unfounded reasons for maintaining an arbitrary state of charge)

Just to throw a data point out there, you can move "up" in capacity without changing the base dimensions. You can bump up to a 240Ah battery in the exact same battery case (T125, US125). If you have some room vertically you can go with 250Ah T145's (US145). More lead, more cost but more capacity without having to modify the enclosure/frame.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

In my article on RV Battery choices I try to explain in simple terms the tradeoffs among RV battery types.
You didn't say anything about how you use your RV, e.g. always with RV park hook-ups, occasional boondocking off-grid, etc., so we cannot even guess what the optimal choice may be. Nor can we guess whether you actually need 460 amp-hours of battery capacity. Many owners do not need that much, but some need even more.

Your present batteries are GC2 6V deep cycles and are a cost-effective solution for the usual RV battery needs, so the #1 option is a very reasonable choice. Properly used and maintained, those batteries should last 6-10 years. AGM deep cycles (option #2) of similar capacity (12v or 6v) would work well too and eliminate most of the owner battery maintenance requirements, but they cost somewhat more. Given that you are new and maybe not a battery expert, the extra cost of the AGM might end up being money well spent.

The lithium option is technically the best solution if you can afford the upfront cost, but maybe more than a new Rver wants to tackle at this stage.

You can get 6v GC2 batteries in the AGM type and they will drop tight into your existing battery box and wiring. Maybe not at a price comparable to the Renogy, though.
That article was super helpful. Thank you! Making me rethink everything....

In a nutshell, if cost weren't of any concern, would you 100% go with lithium ion?

And this might be a super dumb question, but if I'm willing/able to run the generator when boondocking, my capacity constraints wouldn't be as great right?

My main use would be running acs while driving from campground to campground.

Great idea to take a look at agms with same form factor.

Thanks again!

Any particular reason? (there's both founded and unfounded reasons for maintaining an arbitrary state of charge)

Just to throw a data point out there, you can move "up" in capacity without changing the base dimensions. You can bump up to a 240Ah battery in the exact same battery case (T125, US125). If you have some room vertically you can go with 250Ah T145's (US145). More lead, more cost but more capacity without having to modify the enclosure/frame.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
I was thinking maintain 50% so as not to damage the batteries. I keep reading that everywhere and I'm pretty sure that's what screwed up my current batteries. Left it at an rv shop for renovation and he let it sit for 10 months unplugged saying he would get to it.... (He never got to it...)

I do have vertical room, great idea! Thanks!!

50%, or any other percentage of discharge does not cause "damage". I get that it's a widely held belief among the RV community but especially in RV use, you will not "damage" your battery at any depth of discharge including 100% - per manufacturer specification. By the numbers it's very difficult to wear a properly cared for storage battery out - they die of other causes first. Many base their storage capacity at this arbitrary 50% point which for RV use amounts to having to buy twice as much battery or get half as much power. Now, if you need a "cushion" of operating time because you know you need to run something between charges, then great. You know how much power that needs and can budget accordingly by state of charge. But the notion that somehow you're preserving battery life or that being nice to them will net you something down the road, you're only denying yourself use of your battery. A subject soundly beaten here if you care to search on my name and "50% Rule". It's not the discharge that causes most "damage", it's improper charging and storage that does.

Death by neglect is a common cause of battricide. No brand of battery is immune, treat them badly and they all reach that certain fate. Lithium would probably ride through that better as the BMS they have would preserve them to some degree but even those if left dead long enough will not recover. The answer to that is often as simple as a disconnect switch, or lifting a cable. It takes months for a lead acid battery to appreciably self discharge, put a maintainer or solar panel on it and even that minor issue is resolved.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Last edited:
I was thinking maintain 50% so as not to damage the batteries. I
You need to understand that with any battery, the voltage changes depending upon the battery's state of charge. Looking at lead-acid batteries such as most RVs come with, a fully charged battery that has had time to rest (no remaining surface charge) will typically read about 12.6V if ambient temperatures are in the 60° to 90°F range. As the battery is discharged that voltage will fall to about 12V at 50% charge level and 11.7V at 25%. Those numbers will be less as the battery ages and they also mean that the electrolyte is at proper level and has been maintained there. In the real world, most batteries experience a varying electrolyte level and frequently are allowed to fall below the optimum level and that is hard on your batteries. Very heavy charging is also and higher charge rates will evaporate the water out of the electrolyte much more rapidly. Discharging lead-acid batteries below 50% charge will increase a chemical reaction called suffocation and damage the battery. Because of this, the battery really should never put out more than half of its rated capacity, or life will be reduced.

Most RV appliances will operate properly at voltages between 14V and 11V with many becoming unreliable by 10.5V.

Flag on the field:

Discharging lead-acid batteries below 50% charge will increase a chemical reaction called suffocation and damage the battery. Because of this, the battery really should never put out more than half of its rated capacity, or life will be reduced.
It's not damage, it's wear. There's a difference. Damage is an impact that reduces performance or life in some way. Depth of discharge does not appreciably affect service life - energy stored and delivered - what they're designed to do and what you're paying for. RV'ers always cite cycle life but cycles don't run things, amp hours do. Few RV'ers ever come close to cycling out a battery much less wearing one out, so the 50% Rule has no real significance.

Sulfation is a consequence of the discharge reaction but the recharge reaction reverses that. It *can* be considered damage if left in a discharged state for an extended time but overall is not the only contributor to service lifespan. You can take a brand new battery, keep it 100% charged, maintain the electrolyte levels and it will still go bad without one discharge cycle. Batteries are spec'd to a number of Ah for a number of times, at all DOD's, to include 100%. The battery Ah rating is based on the 100% discharge point and yes, you can have all of it. There is no precipitous change in lifetime delivered Ah beyond 50% DOD (or any other point). Yes, cycles go down as DOD goes up - but the net power delivered is about the same. So it comes down to half as many or twice as often but the net output is the same. In the RV context it matters little if you use a battery in such a way it will only net 500 cycles, when over the course of it's installation you only use it 125 times. The average RV user camps 25 days a year so even at 100% discharge, that battery will die of causes other than DOD. So, why operate a battery to achieve 1200 cycles (50% DOD) when you'll only use 125 cycles? All that nets is reduced operating convenience, lots of genset time and you're taking 90% of that battery to the recycler. Not that you have to intentionally thrash them dead all the time but the bottom half of the battery works just as well as the top half, so why not use it. After 6 years or so they're going to the recycler no matter how well you take care of them.

Most RV appliances will operate properly at voltages between 14V and 11V with many becoming unreliable by 10.5V.
That's a system problem, not a battery problem. Can't speak to all RV's but in my itasca, everything is spec'd for and I've tested to operate at 10.5V. Even my generator will start from my discharged house batteries (something I wanted to find out before I needed to). One can accommodate a narrower range spec through state of charge and that works if the capacity is still sufficient to run what you need. If not you're either buying more battery (to throw away later) or come up with a different device. Just depends on what ends up being more practical.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Thanks so much for the the great information! I feel like I'm starting to get it. How do you feel about lithium ion replacements if cost weren't important?

In a nutshell, if cost weren't of any concern, would you 100% go with lithium ion?
I would; it's a superior battery for RV use in terms of weight and performance, and none of the shortcomings of lithium are of importance to me, e.g. charging in sub-freezing weather. It's fairly easy to justify the battery cost alone based on cost/year of use. However, the potential cost of retrofitting a system designed for lead-acid batteries to lithium use raises the question of "how much better" vs the extra cost. That's where the upgrade question can get difficult.

The cost of retrofitting is itself a fairly complex subject that depends on what your existing equipment is like and how close to optimum performance you want to get. Battery gurus will debate fine points at length, but most RV owners would rather be camping than fiddling with batteries and charging systems.

Last edited:
I was thinking maintain 50% so as not to damage the batteries. I keep reading that everywhere and I'm pretty sure that's what screwed up my current batteries. Left it at an rv shop for renovation and he let it sit for 10 months unplugged saying he would get to it.... (He never got to it...)
Whether you call it damage or premature wear seems academic; the batteries can no longer function and need to be replaced. The probably cause is leaving the batteries discharged for a lengthy period, a condition that lead-acid batteries seldom recover from. That's a somewhat different ill than merely discharging below 50% once or twice.

As Mark says, there is nothing magic about the 50% number; 51% is not materially different than 49% or even 40% If you think of battery life as xxx full cycles where a "full cycle" is discharge to 10.5v followed by re-charge, then the more often you deep discharge, the sooner you use up its life. The details get messy because voltage and amps and hours follow a bit of a curve rather than a nice straight line, but that doesn't have much practical importance. See the attached discharge cycle chart, which is typical (each battery type, size and brand will differ). Note that once it goes below about 90%, the line is pretty much straight, meaning you don't lose much in the way of life cycles.

You don't need battery capacity for that. In fact, it's an ideal use of the onboard generator. You probably don't have enough inverter capability to run two a/c units from an inverter while driving anyway, but if you do the size of your battery bank would need to double or triple even with the engine alternator helping.

Attachments

• Cycle-life-versus-DOD-curve-for-a-lead-acid-battery.png
    Cycle-life-versus-DOD-curve-for-a-lead-acid-battery.png
    11.6 KB · Views: 1
It's easy to say cost is no object, but the battery cost isn't the only consideration. If the system is set up for lead acid then there's a bit of reconfiguring to integrate lithium to maximize the benefit. So there's some refit effort in the RV which is all doable provided there are sufficient funds and motivation. Rather than decide the solution up front, it's usually better to quantify the problem first then pick the best solution. In terms of operation it's hard to beat lithium but there's literally millions of applications today where lead is working just fine. Using myself as an example, if I had lithium in my RV it wouldn't make any difference - the GC2's run my stuff as long as I need them to. Factor in the acquisition and refit costs of lithium and it becomes a non starter for me. So the application matters and cost does factor for most, so it becomes a cost/benefit study to see what the best compromise is.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Rather than decide the solution up front, it's usually better to quantify the problem first then pick the best solution. In terms of operation it's hard to beat lithium but there's literally millions of applications today where lead is working just fine. Using myself as an example, if I had lithium in my RV it wouldn't make any difference - the GC2's run my stuff as long as I need them to
In simple terms, if it ain't broke there is no need to fix it. ;)

Nothing williamrver has said so far indicates he needs more or different battery capacity than his OEM system provided.

In simple terms, if it ain't broke there is no need to fix it. ;)

Nothing williamrver has said so far indicates he needs more or different battery capacity than his OEM system provided.
Yea, mine is broke, so just trying to fix it right! :D

I did have a bit of a wild thought to add another wrinkle. I might be building an off grid home in the next year, so I might look into some sort of dual use set up. I could lug a battery to the rv for trips! Haha

Reconfiguring the rv would require a battery management system, alternator protection, and some form factor adjustments for the batteries right? My hope is my Xantrex inverter/charger would not need to be replaced.

Last edited:
That article was super helpful. Thank you! Making me rethink everything....

And this might be a super dumb question, but if I'm willing/able to run the generator when boondocking, my capacity constraints wouldn't be as great right?

Great idea to take a look at agms with same form factor.

Thanks again!
Lead acid batteries have a certain set of traits, and Lithium Ion, in this case most likely LiFePo4 batteries have a different set of traits. A number of the traits LiFePo4 Lithium have are very nice for typical RV use, they can last for 5,000+ charge / discharge cycles, think a full charge discharge cycle every day for nearly 14 years, they are happy to being stored for prolonged periods of time at partial state of charge, in fact they will last longer doing so unlike lead acid that needs to be topped up and float charged to maximize life. The downside of Lithium is that they like to operate in the same general temperature ranges that people like (35-85F), and can't be charged at below freezing temperatures. This is why when I switched to LiFePo4 I relocated my battery bank to a cabinet inside the RV from its exposed to the weather located under the entry steps. In addition to this you can treat LiFePo4 much more like a bucket you pour electricity into and out of as they have far less charge and discharge losses, ie they are both buckets that leak, but LiFePo4 leaks much much less. On an economics point Lithium is looking more and more favorable every year.

Lead acid batteries have a certain set of traits, and Lithium Ion, in this case most likely LiFePo4 batteries have a different set of traits. A number of the traits LiFePo4 Lithium have are very nice for typical RV use, they can last for 5,000+ charge / discharge cycles, think a full charge discharge cycle every day for nearly 14 years, they are happy to being stored for prolonged periods of time at partial state of charge, in fact they will last longer doing so unlike lead acid that needs to be topped up and float charged to maximize life. The downside of Lithium is that they like to operate in the same general temperature ranges that people like (35-85F), and can't be charged at below freezing temperatures. This is why when I switched to LiFePo4 I relocated my battery bank to a cabinet inside the RV from its exposed to the weather located under the entry steps. In addition to this you can treat LiFePo4 much more like a bucket you pour electricity into and out of as they have far less charge and discharge losses, ie they are both buckets that leak, but LiFePo4 leaks much much less. On an economics point Lithium is looking more and more favorable every year.
In Florida, we spend a lot of time north of 90 degrees. The battery bay is in the rear left of the rv, near the diesel engine. I was concerned about charging when we were traveling in cold climates, but is high temp also going to be an issue?

Storing LiFePo4 batteries in hot environments will shorten their life, by how much depends on a number of factors, though in this case we may be talking about them lasting on the order of 12-15 years instead of 20 years

I was referring to the system design and component selection as "ain't broke", not the worn out component. The worn out batteries could be replaced with an identical component and be fully functional again, and it appears it would meet your needs.
Gotcha! I might be overthinking this. I'm prone to do so.:ROFLMAO:

I do have vertical room, great idea! Thanks!!
If you've got a lot of vertical room you can go with a pair of L-16 batteries and get close to 400aH out of the pair. Of course they're about double the price of the GC-2's.
I was going to do that, but balked at the price and went back with GC-2s. I got almost 7 years of my normal usage out of the last pair, so I figured that was good enough.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom