Bear!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, I heard about the wolves- I don't like it either, and it makes no sense to me, especially if the law doesn't allow a rancher to protect his property.
If they kill cattle, then the rancher gets paid something. However, wolves are smart and so they have killed the working cattle dogs, then the cattle. No payment for the rancher's highly skilled working dogs.

Thankfully we only have little black bears around here. We catch them on our cameras every now and then. I've also seen them in our backyard in broad daylight.

My best bear story yet was when I walked into our shop building one afternoon and the door closed behind me. My other half had gone inside the house. I heard something make noise outside the door, so I was confused. I opened the door to find a black bear looking back at me, so I slammed it closed. Bear!

Second best story was I was mountain biking some single-track, fairly quickly. I came around a corner to find a black bear in the middle of the trail. I freaked and wiped out because I thought I was going to hit it. Bear and I were terrified of each other. Bear went down the trail the way I was going..I got back on my bike and went the other way. Thankfully no injuries, except I did land in a patch of nettles.

Third best... a friend from the midwest came to visit. We were sitting on the couch in the living room, and I was telling him we occasionally get bears, little ones. He said to me, "bear!" and I was like, ya, bears, we get them. He said no, ....bear! and pointed out the window. One went waltzing by the sliding glass door just then. Right on queue!

Last year I had been sitting on the steps of my motor home working with a Dremel tool. I got done and put my tools away. Sat down to read in the recliner that's right opposite the door of the RV. Not 5 minutes after I sat down a pretty good sized bear walked around the front corner of the coach, paused right outside the screen door, looked right at me for a couple of seconds and then continued on his way. I was overjoyed that he decided not to come in for a visit. That ranked right up there with the thrill of getting caught in a buffalo jam in Yellowstone in a Jeep Wrangler with the top and doors off.

Deer hunting one morning when I was about 15. Sitting with my back against a huge boulder in the middle of an open sloped meadow watching a game trail about 50 yards below me. I heard a noise behind me on the other side of the boulder and I thought, "Oh man, I let a deer sneak up on me." So I eased myself around, got into a squat, and jumped up with my rifle over the top of the rock. There was Boo-boo, just snuffling along with his head down about 20 feet the other side. He snapped his head up, both our eyeballs bugged out, we both yelled "Oh sh*t!, and he tried to stand up and turn around at the same time and fell over on his back with his feet waving in the air like a turtle. There wasn't anywhere for me to go, so I just stared at him for a few seconds until he got his act together, then he sprinted off to my left and disappeared. Looking back on it afterward I had to laugh because it was like a cartoon.

My nephew had a bear open his garage door at his place in Tahoe. Then got into the refrigerator he had in his garage and raided it for food. Pretty smart bear if you ask me.

This is the only bear I hope I ever have to encounter:
W0YtiMB.jpg

My nephew had a bear open his garage door at his place in Tahoe. Then got into the refrigerator he had in his garage and raided it for food. Pretty smart bear if you ask me.
Last summer at Chemin a Haut (pronounced - sha man uh haw) St. Pk. in N. La. a couple of raccoons got into my open tackle box, and managed to remove the screwtop off a jar of crappie bites. They ate the entire lot of them. I heard the racket about midnight and went outside with a flashlight, they just looked at me like "you talkin' to me!" . I left them alone, I shoulda put the stuff up, and I was on their turf.

Can your son build a bear-proof container or small structure to hold the chicken feed? Like something out of cement with a steel door that the bear cannot open? They would discourage him from coming for a free meal. And are the chickens in a bear-proof structure? A bag of chicken feed sounds like an invitation for a Yogi Bear "pic-a-nic."

Can your son build a bear-proof container or small structure to hold the chicken feed? Like something out of cement with a steel door that the bear cannot open? They would discourage him from coming for a free meal. And are the chickens in a bear-proof structure? A bag of chicken feed sounds like an invitation for a Yogi Bear "pic-a-nic."
He’s going to have to come up with something. A bear proof box. The bear hasn’t been back in a few days. Folks in the area say bear sittings are pretty rare.

He’s going to have to come up with something. A bear proof box. The bear hasn’t been back in a few days. Folks in the area say bear sittings are pretty rare.
Here's the place we get ours.

Yeah, I heard about the wolves- I don't like it either, and it makes no sense to me, especially if the law doesn't allow a rancher to protect his property.

Update...Too much mistrust with wolves being reintroduced in other western states that they won't be sending any of their's to our area in Western Colorado. That's good news for our Huskies. Something less to have to worry about for awhile. Bears and Mountain Lions are enough.

Last year I had been sitting on the steps of my motor home working with a Dremel tool. I got done and put my tools away. Sat down to read in the recliner that's right opposite the door of the RV. Not 5 minutes after I sat down a pretty good sized bear walked around the front corner of the coach, paused right outside the screen door, looked right at me for a couple of seconds and then continued on his way. I was overjoyed that he decided not to come in for a visit. That ranked right up there with the thrill of getting caught in a buffalo jam in Yellowstone in a Jeep Wrangler with the top and doors off.
You were suppose to take a selfie with it...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom