Beaver patriot- help carging batteries.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Germanahome

Hi everyone,
I recently purchased a 1997 Beaver Patriot. Up until today everything ran perfectly. This morning, I had to use the motor battery to start the generator. Then I noticed you batteries don't seem to be charging. At all. I have run the generator for hours. I even ran the motor for at least an hour with little to no effect on the batteries. I have unplugged everything not part of the coach itself. The fridge is on gas. I checked every breaker, and switch, still no charge. Can I charge the batteries like you would a car battery with cables and a charger? I need to get the batteries above 10% to get the system to work. I think...
Any thoughts?

Yes, you can charge the batteries with a car battery charger. I had to do that for a few days while I was chasing down an electrical problem. However, if the batteries are too low, they may not take a charge. Try charging and see what happens. If you can get them charged, then you'll need to find out why they went dead. Please keep us posted.

A basic voltmeter will tell you if you're charging or not. Then you don't have to go around guessing while turning things on and off. It will also tell you if you're above the threshold required for an inverter/charger if that's inhibiting charging. Some RV's have a "boost" switch that will combine the chassis and house batteries which may allow some power from the alternator to give the batteries a shot if that's all you need. Otherwise yes, a mains powered charger will work fine as well.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Be aware that the generator doesn't directly charge any batteries. It supplies 120v power to the coach onboard charger, which in turn charges the house (auxiliary) batteries. There may also be a device that lets the onboard charger top up the chassis (engine) batteries once the house batteries reach full charge.

The engine alternator should always be able to directly charge the chassis batteries, though. And also the house batteries via a relay that is normally closed when the engine is running (and open when the engine is NOT running).

It sounds as though your onboard charger isn't working OR it has lost its connection to the house batteries. Most coaches have a battery disconnect relay that may be simply turned off or possibly has failed. There is probably also a major fuse in the charging circuit.

Not sure if this is related but I got a generator, my old gas one it has 3000 running watts and 3500 total. I plugged in my rig and I still have no power. Is the power dependent on thier being charge in the batteries? Anyway there is still no power i am not sure what to do. I got a centech 6/12 volt automatic charger for the batteries. I am somehow not level so I cant open the battery compartment. I have to work on that my hydraulics are not working right now. Any ideas?

Is it safe to assume that you do get 120V power to your outlets and such? The converter when working properly will take 120V power from either the shore power cord or an on-board generator and convert that into 12V power to supply the lights, RV appliances, and to charge the coach batteries. As previously stated, the chassis engine should be able to charge the coach batteries when running in addition to the chassis battery that it uses to start with.

Have you considered that it could be the problem is your coach batteries? Did you check them for proper electrolyte levels? You may want to pull them out and take them to a shop that sells batteries and ask them to load test your coach batteries.

I have no power at all.
But I finally see a light on the charge side of my controller. Could mean I'm finally getting some juice into my batteries. Finalo6 opened the compartment. Luckily we were able to release the hydraulics by just dropping them, that untweeked the door and we got in.

Usually when folks say "no power". they are not being totally accurate. You really need to inventory the 120v outlets, appliances that use 120v some or all the time, 12v power like lights and thermostats, lights on display panels, etc. and be very precise about what works or not. Rarely is it true that absolutely nothing has power.

It's entirely possible your shore power cord isn't delivering 120v power from an external source; that could be a faulty cord or a problem with the auto-transfer switch. But the coach should still have battery 12v power, unless the batteries are also bad.

I agree with Gary - you need to be more specific with "no-power". If you have a light on then you don't have "no-power"

It's like the difference between your uncle Ed being sick or dead. If he's still breathing he's not dead.

Sorry but I repair electronics and this is an annoyance, I get customers all the time saying there is "no-power" but when questioned they say "yes, the red light is on".

Is there a head slap emoji? Or a face in palm emoji?

Sorry, not trying to be mean but the help you receive will be as detailed as the information you provide.

🤪 at the time of writing that last message, we were completely without power. We kept changing the car batteries and finally hey wen out from reconditioning to charging. We were able to get the engine started and the power slowly came back on. Fixed? No. We are not able to sustain or keep a charge for even an hour, after running 30amps of a power almost all day. We need new batteries.
I need 4. 9x7x10"
I currently have 4 GC2-ECL-UTL interstate batteries deep cycle extreme. I want something a bit better. Is there a difference when it comes to solar?
Any suggestions?

Those Interstates are as good as any other 6v golf car battery brand and the GC2 case size is standardized. Interstate doesn't make that battery (they are a private label brand), so those batteries come from one of the big 4 US battery makers anyway, and likely identical to another brand with the same specs. The premium 6v battery makers are Trojan, Rolls-Surette, and Lifeline. You could choose standard flooded cell or AGM.

I'd buy a brand on the basis of dollars per amp-hour ($/AH), though I do favor the premium brands if the price is within reason.

I've written an RV magazine article on RV Battery choices. There is a copy in this sites RESOURCES section at https://www.rvforum.net/resources/choosing-a-battery-for-your-rv-v4-01.65/

Back
Top Bottom