Been looking at class c motorhomes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
W

Wolflake60

Been looking at small class c motorhomes. So far a freedom elite 23h and a Sunseeker 2290s. Seems like the Sunseeker is built better. Anybody have any experience with either brand.
Thanks
Tim

We recently bought our Class C after much research.  We looked at both you reviewed but really liked the layout of the Coachmen 2200 FS.  The TV in the middle makes it feel more roomy, and we really like the closet against the back wall.  TV spins also for bedroom or living room viewing.  Plus, we're big Mercedes fans, so that didn't hurt the deal.  :)

Here's a link - http://www.coachmenrv.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=53&Image=742

This is our very first RV with only just a few trips under our belt so far, and when we get home we just can't wait to get back out on the road again!

Good luck!

Welcome to the forum!

We bought a Class C last year and love it.  We spend six months in it.

Take a look at the Minnie Winnies, we have a couple in our Win club and I think they have a really nice floor plan. Personally, I like them better than the Mercedes chassis. Worse fuel mileage but I like the interiors a lot more.

There's also Coachman. Freelander at the bottom of the line, and Concord at the top. I can't really complain about mine.

I have owned a 2016 Freedom Elite 22FE and a 2017 Jayco 26XD. What is it they say about purchasing a new RV? Oh yea, floorplan, floorplan, floorplan. The Freedom Elite was essentially a Thor Four Winds, private labeled for Camping World. The way I think Camping world does this is to go to Thor and say "we'll take x amount of 23Hs optioned like this, at this price". They come with several items that are optional when looking at the Four Winds, but of course Camping world is specifying the options, and you'll get no choice. I never had a problem with my 22FE, but went to a RV show a year after we bought it, Momma saw something she liked better, and the rest as they say, is history. All of these entry level class Cs are built to a price point. I don't think there is much difference in quality between them. From a quality and option standpoint, I preferred the Freedom Elite to the Jayco, but when you figure in the floorplan there's no comparison.

After having a class C for a few years, I am actually thinking that I would prefer to change to a Class A. The Class C is barely enough room for my wife, 2 toddlers, 2 dogs and myself. Plus, our specific model doesn't allow me to haul very much. Sometimes, it would be nice to be able to haul a car with us instead of driving separately. I get anywhere from 6-10mpg with our 1990 Chev 350 and 3 speed trans. My research leads me to believe a Class A gets the same, but has a much higher towing capacity and a whole lot more room for the kids.

If we stick with a class C, I think I would look for one with a smooth transition over the cab. I think the cantilevered bed causes a huge air damn, which probably is a lot for that SBC in heavy winds.

My C gets about 8 mpg which is in line with the A's gas mileage. I can tow 7500#, which is more than most A's that are rated at 5000#.

Indeed, A's and C's get about the same fuel mileage and weigh and cost the same for a given size and equipment level. There really is no advantage to a "C" vs an A of the same size, and often disadvantages.  The biggest drawback in a larger C is the limited carrying capacity, a shortcoming of the van chassis that defines a C.  A "Super-C" gets around that by using a medium truck chassis to gain GVWR and length, but that's not what most people are talking about when they think of a Class C coach.  If you are considering a Class C in the 28+ foot range, I strongly encourage you to look at Class A as well.  They start at about 26 feet in length.  Floor plan and equipment should be your deciding parameters, not C vs A.

My Super C averaged 7.96 gpm over 1,200 miles, my maiden voyage. I have 6,976# of CCC, a 20,000# tow rating, a 33,000 GVWR, and a 52,000# GCWR.

egalt said:
Average 13 to 14 mpg.  I'll take the Mercedes chassis.

When I was first interested in a motor home, we crossed that bridge (Mercedes Chassis). I opted for comfort over the economic differences. My Dynamax is an example of going for sheer comfort. This coach drives very nicely, it tracks down the road straight as an arrow, and this is the first RV I have driven that is not impacted by Semi Truck's driving by.

I've driven through a couple of hundred miles of 30 mph crosswinds on my way back from picking it in Boise. I was very comfortable driving, as the coach was not severely impacted by the crosswind. Recently I took a jaunt up through Nevada. It is a 400 mile drive, that with my past coaches wore me out, but with the Dynamax I felt good at the end of the day. Like I said it is a dream to drive. 

I'll pass on bragging rights for fuel economy.

John Beard said:
When I was first interested in a motor home, we crossed that bridge (Mercedes Chassis). I opted for comfort over the economic differences. My Dynamax is an example of going for sheer comfort. This coach drives very nicely, it tracks down the road straight as an arrow, and this is the first RV I have driven that is not impacted by Semi Truck's driving by.

I've driven through a couple of hundred miles of 30 mph crosswinds on my way back from picking it in Boise. I was very comfortable driving, as the coach was not severely impacted by the crosswind. Recently I took a jaunt up through Nevada. It is a 400 mile drive, that with my past coaches wore me out, but with the Dynamax I felt good at the end of the day. Like I said it is a dream to drive. 

I'll pass on bragging rights for fuel economy.

That's good to know. I was curious how these type of MH handle cross winds. My Gulfstream Ultra (Chev G30 chassis) doesn't handle wind very well. On the way down on our last trip, we had lots of cross winds and my wife, who was following in another vehicle, called to ask if I was falling asleep. I was not, but I was frequently slowing down because I was being blown all over the road.

A good thread and helpful.  My we are considering going the motor home route down the road and have been checking out both class C's & A's.  What has been reported here is pretty much what I suspected.  Being full-timers, weight capacity is critical so in that regard a class A is looking like the better choice.  Will be keeping an eye out on this thread.

DW and I full timed 3 years in a 29 foot Class C after 3 years that C was getting pretty small, we have now moved up to a 36 foot Class A.  WOW  it?s like a castle. Should have done it sooner.
Good luck in your search.

Bill

Gary RV_Wizard said:
..... There really is no advantage to a "C" vs an A of the same size, and often disadvantages.  .....

Of course all you wrote was correct on all points...except this one point, that of course is so much personal opinion and situational dependent (the people, the floor plan, etc..)....

but in my opinion there are primarily two advantages with class C. 
....Well, one that I feel strongly about...and that is families.  Generally speaking I feel like the class c can be very fitting for a family, especially one with young kids.  A's on the other hand seem to more often than not be designed more for a couple or single living....I'm of the opinions that C's fill a very niche market. 
There are of course the A's with the over cab wind down bunk for the extra sleeping space, but that seems better considered as a temporary/occasional thing...such as grandkids coming to visit.  The few bunkhouse plans I've seen come closer to competing, but they have downsides too.
It's just too bad that the manufacturers don't counter the huge disadvantages in a lot of the c's.  i feel like it would be fairly easy to do for the most part, with smarter chassis selection and design.

The other advantage, I think, for c pivot around having a 'proper' chassis cab.... the doors, the seats, the air bags, the dash AC, much higher design standards of the mass produced machine, personally I sorta like the smaller windshield for a couple reasons, sitting a bit lower...etc

Oh, a third big one...came to mind... a significantly shorter climb to get into the house.

The only really serious disadvantages of a C from my perspective, are two things
small outside basement storage bins
and the limited weight capacity, and all that that effects.....actually this is downright serious problem with the larger non-super c's like mine, that basically start overloaded....

anyway, all things that prompt a discussion topic that will probably never end....

The challenge with the longer "C's" is the chassis was likely lengthened by the coach manufacturer.  They really aren't designed by Ford in my opinion, to run like that.  Having driven one about 7000 miles, I can tell you that until you lightly pack them they are at their full weight capacity.  Now run an F150 15 miles home from Lowes all packed up and take that times a few hundred miles in one day. 

The poor chassis just never gets a break except when IT breaks!

Back
Top Bottom