been thru popups, went to darkside...now its time for a class B. one problem. I know nothing about them.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nrg2brn

I think this is the right thing for me. my kids are older, they will come with me and my girlfriend from time to time, but mainly to hang out, then go to a motel. I should be able to park this in my driveway, so no more storage. it all seems too good to be true. then I see the prices. they seem high. is this due to covid demand, or are the prices im seeing normal? Ive got about 50k to spend on something gently used, maybe 60k miles. Is this a pipe dream? I know campers, but not ones with motors in them. but then again, I know trucks. just not truck/campers. what am I watching out for? any newbie advice?

Im not an expert on Class B, but when I was considering them, all I remember is they were very expensive. This was pre covid too.

Depending on your comfort requirements, can always get a cargo van and build it out how you want.

My brother and I just finished a 2 month search for a 24-26 TT for him. He searched all over the mid-west and I searched all over Florida and the southeast.

My take is that last year all the "good deals" were taken. What's left is bottom of the barrel and much newer and more expensive stuff. I could be wrong.

He finally found one in Indiana about a week or so ago. He went about 300 miles to buy it. It's in dealer inspection and I think he gets it at the end of next week or something.

We traveled in a 19' class B for many years. It was great for weekend getaways, and pretty nice for week long trips. It was ok for two week excursions, but became barely tolerable for three weeks.

After I retired, and started going on six or seven week trips, we just had to get something larger. Try to imagine being cooped up in one for two days of heavy rain. It becomes claustrophobic.

The one major problem with them is a serious lack of storage space. We usually ended up with loads of clothing and other stuff stashed on the bed. Of course, when we went to bed, it would all get piled onto chairs, and then back onto the bed in the morning. That twice daily shuttle would become a real pita by about the 20th day,

We ended up stashing a lot of stuff under the bed. That was fine, if it didn't gre too cold at night. It seems that the stuff under the bed blocked much of the air flow from the furnace vent under there. Of course, the reduced air flow wasn't enough to activate the sail switch, so the furnace wouldn't operate.

There may not be a separate bathroom sink, and if there is a shower, it will probably be a wet bath. In some class Bs, larger people may have trouble sitting on the commode with any degree of comfort. Try it out. In some units, the commode is in a clothes closet. You'll need to shove the clothes out of the way, unless, of course, the closet is jammed full. In that case, you'll end up moving some of the clothing to the bed. See above,

In many class Bs, the bed folds up into bench seats. These may not be terribly comfortable, and may not be long enough for some people. Make sure to try out the bed before you consider buying one.

Joel

We have two 21’ Roadtreks in our family. Both Chevy vans and completely self contained. Shower with 1/2 tub, generator, queen size bed, furnace, 8500 btu AC, and ect.
Son and his wife went from a diesel pusher to their Roadtrek, and we went from a 34’ gas Bounder to ours.
Absolutely love ‘em. 15-16 mpg in western half of USA. Runs up the mountains with traffic. ( we’re in CO.) Park any where. Great grocery getter when home if needed. Can easily haul a 4x8 sheet of plywood if you don’t have a pickup.
The fuel savings more than pay for a nice motel every few days if you want. Son goes that route, we don’t.

Back
Top Bottom