Bees, wasps, etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xtowergirl

Does anyone have any suggestions as to method or product (other than sprays) for bees, wasps, etc.

Walked into the garage of our toy hauler this morning to find two wasps (alive!) between the window and screen...opened the window so that they could leave (they FINALLY did!).  Can still hear one buzzing around somewhere but cannot (and don't really want to) find it.

This is our first experience with them getting in (they haven't invaded living space...yet).

Have allergies/sensitivities to smells/chemicals/stings so looking for the least harmful (to me  ;)) solution.

Thanks!

A soapy water mist sprayed in their direction will cause their wings to stop working as soon as they fly through it.  They drop like a stone, then you can crush them like any other insect (but don't try this with bare feet).

I like to use Scrubbing Bubbles in the aerosol can but any soapy water solution in a spray bottle wil work.

If you're brave, and have a large bottle, you can keep spraying a nest and they'll emerge one by one and drop to the ground until the nest is empty.

Jim Dick said:
Lou,

A little brake cleaner works a lot faster on the nest! :) :)

Hopefully we don't have a nest since they're in the garage of the toy hauler...that would be BAD!!!

I'll definitely keep some on hand tho.

Thanks!

Lou Schneider said:
A soapy water mist sprayed in their direction will cause their wings to stop working as soon as they fly through it.? They drop like a stone, then you can crush them like any other insect (but don't try this with bare feet).

I like to use Scrubbing Bubbles in the aerosol can but any soapy water solution in a spray bottle wil work.

If you're brave, and have a large bottle, you can keep spraying a nest and they'll emerge one by one and drop to the ground until the nest is empty.

I like the idea of the soapy water (chemicals/smells/etc. get me really sick really quick) and that would have worked well since they were between the window and screen...no chance of 'em gettin' me  ;D which, is REALLY important!

Oh...and I'm not THAT brave when it comes to getting stung!

Thanks a lot!

Do crush them when they fall though.....remember, once their wings dry out, they can fly again  :D

Frizlefrak said:
Do crush them when they fall though.....remember, once their wings dry out, they can fly again? :D

Crushing the little monsters is definitely within the realm of my natural reaction  ;)

Thanks!

The soapy water solution is what I use in Arizona and yes it does kill them! We had an infestation (killer Bees) in a seldom used shed waited for a cool night and went in sprayer spraying full blast. By morning I had to use the shopvac to clean them up and destroy the nest in the lower corner of the wall. Also had a German Shepherd that loved the taste of them she would catch them in her mouth, spit them on the ground and roll them in the dirt till the stinger was gone then pick them up and eat them. My wife and I were amazed by the things that dog could do. ;D

Good to know all this, I will share this.  We get several wasps nest in our eaves every summer, they keep coming back no matter what we do.  They also hang out over the swimming pool in the heat, my grandchildren sink really fast!

Also had a German Shepherd that loved the taste of them she would catch them in her mouth, spit them on the ground and roll them in the dirt till the stinger was gone then pick them up and eat them. My wife and I were amazed by the things that dog could do

And I am amazed on how in the hell that dawg learned that trick.  If you think about it, it involved snapping up a bee and not getting stung in the chops and then figuring how to spit the bee out and disarm it by rolling it in the dirt to get it to discharge the stinger.  At either of those steps, the mutt could get a sting and the normal dawg would never, ever repeat the action.  That is some pretty heavy duty problem analysis with painful consequences for failed attempts.

If you ever see that critter eyeballing your car, hide the keys.  Well.

I had a dog when I was a kid that hated bees and would eat them too.  She would get stung every time and I think it pissed her off, so she ate them.  Strange dog.

Mike

Take an empty 16 oz. plastic soda bottle and cut off the top at about 2 - 2 1/2 inches from the top. Fill the bottom with soda or other sweet juice to within an inch or two of the inverted piece you cut off from the top. What you're doing is making a funnel of sorts. Make sure there's a gap, inch or two, between the surface of the liquid and the top of the bottle (now inverted into the bottom portion) and set it down somewhere. The bees and wasps will climb down the sloped side to get at the sweet stuff, fall into it, and cannot fly back out. Works great!  They also work really well outdoors when set some 10-15 feet away from where you are. Put a few stones in to keep the wind from blowing them over.

Carl Lundquist said:
And I am amazed on how in the hell that dawg learned that trick.? If you think about it, it involved snapping up a bee and not getting stung in the chops and then figuring how to spit the bee out and disarm it by rolling it in the dirt to get it to discharge the stinger.? At either of those steps, the mutt could get a sting and the normal dawg would never, ever repeat the action.? ?That is some pretty heavy duty problem analysis with painful consequences for failed attempts.

If you ever see that critter eyeballing your car, hide the keys.? Well.

She was one off the greatest dogs we ever owned we were dry camping when she started catching the little buzzing critters, and were mesmerized on her ability to do this. Our other Shepherd and Yorkey mix  would get in on the catch by helping her eat them they could never figure out how to catch them.  :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chaderic
Back
Top Bottom