Being a good neighbor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't know about 30-45 minutes (maybe that's an exaggeration), but our diesel motorhome needs to run long enough to bring the suspension up to ride height, and bring the air brake system up to release the parking brakes (the coach won't move until we do), and have sufficient pressure for the service brakes to work (when we step on the brake pedal).

If we're only staying one night, and I know we're leaving early, we don't 'dump the air' from the system (to allow us to deploy jacks - we put up with a 'rocking coach'). When we leave in the morning, there's no delay in bringing the air pressures up.
Sounds like you need a suspension dump valve.

BTW the system has a VERY LOUD alarm that won't quit until the air pressures are above a predetermined/safe number (2 air systems - brakes and suspension).
The primary and secondary air system brake steer vs. Drive axles. The alarm is required for anything with air brakes.

Sounds like you need a suspension dump valve.
Maybe you didn't read my posts.

I have one but, as I explained, I don't dump air if we're just staying overnight and plan to leave early in the morning. That way, I don't need to run the engine to bring the suspension and brake air systems up before we can leave.

Maybe you didn't read my posts.

I have one but, as I explained, I don't dump air if we're just staying overnight and plan to leave early in the morning. That way, I don't need to run the engine to bring the suspension and brake air systems up before we can leave.
Suspension dump, not system dump.

BTW the system has a VERY LOUD alarm that won't quit until the air pressures are above a predetermined/safe number (2 air systems - brakes and suspension).
Tom, our rig has a round alarm underneath the steering wheel that can be adjusted to emit less noise. You just turn it to bring down the horrific noise to a slightly irritating noise. Still there, but I don’t think ours can be heard much outside anymore. I discovered this when a jack sensor went out on me. Jack was stowed, but the rig thought it wasn’t, and it really, really wanted me to know that! The repair shop was an hour away, and I would have gone mad at the original volume. Maybe yours can be adjusted to be annoying without being ear splitting.

And to anyone who says get rid of it, it is a mandatory safety feature. Mine is on whenever the air brakes don’t have enough pressure or the jacks aren’t stowed.

The equipment I'm involved with has an audible alarm. The alarm itself is panel mount thing with a hole in it. Many trucks in the field have an earplugs shoved into the buzzers hole. I can't think of any reason for an air or jack buzzer to be audible outside of the cab/driver's seat. If the air buzzer is just plain too annoying, DOT regulations do call out wig-wag as an alternative. I have never even seen one in person, just referenced in the regulations, but that would be a possibility.

Speaking of alarms... there were two Dutch Stars staying on either side of us just recently. They were leaving late-morning, so I didn't care too much about the noise, but, I was reminded of this thread! One left after the other, so I got almost a full hour of idling and ready-making noise. The icing on the cake was... BOTH of them had audible backup alarms. Not the scritch-scritch style. BEEEEEEEEP-BEEEEEEEEP-BEEEEEEEEP. Oh, ffs.

Speaking of alarms... there were two Dutch Stars staying on either side of us just recently. They were leaving late-morning, so I didn't care too much about the noise, but, I was reminded of this thread! One left after the other, so I got almost a full hour of idling and ready-making noise. The icing on the cake was... BOTH of them had audible backup alarms. Not the scritch-scritch style. BEEEEEEEEP-BEEEEEEEEP-BEEEEEEEEP. Oh, ffs.
yup. I absolutely hate back-up alarms. If you want them, you can get "smart" back-up alarms that are relatively quiet, unless in a noisy area, then they get noisier.

The icing on the cake was... BOTH of them had audible backup alarms. Not the scritch-scritch style. BEEEEEEEEP-BEEEEEEEEP-BEEEEEEEEP. Oh, ffs.
I absolutely detest those things. But I'll still take a few minutes of that over "Little Precious" locked in the RV and barking non stop while the "Fur Baby Parents" go explore for 10 hours. And then when you confront them with your gripe,....."My Little Precious wouldn't DO that!!!"

The last time it happened, it annoyed me and the guy camping on the other side of them so bad that we got together and hatched a plan. The offending party got treated to an all night Motorhead concert on my outdoor speakers, and an all night David Allan Coe concert from the other dude. The other dude used a Boombox and set it outside....and you can guess where it was aimed. Little Precious' "parents" left the following day, and thankfully took Little Precious with them. Me and my new buddy/partner in crime shared a couple beers and a lot of laughs the next afternoon.

FWIW....I love dogs....and even the wife's cats. Having pets is a huge privilege. And with great privilege comes great responsibility.....

Tom, our rig has a round alarm underneath the steering wheel that can be adjusted to emit less noise. You just turn it to bring down the horrific noise to a slightly irritating noise. Still there, but I don’t think ours can be heard much outside anymore. I discovered this when a jack sensor went out on me. Jack was stowed, but the rig thought it wasn’t, and it really, really wanted me to know that! The repair shop was an hour away, and I would have gone mad at the original volume. Maybe yours can be adjusted to be annoying without being ear splitting.

And to anyone who says get rid of it, it is a mandatory safety feature. Mine is on whenever the air brakes don’t have enough pressure or the jacks aren’t stowed.
I haven't been told anyone can hear it outside, but it's definitely annoying inside the coach. Hadn't thought/realized it could be adjusted :rolleyes:

No backup alarm on our coach. Come to think of it, I wasn't conscious of any RV having a backup alarm. Maybe I just didn't pay attention.

No backup alarm on our coach. Come to think of it, I wasn't conscious of any RV having a backup alarm. Maybe I just didn't pay attention.
I've heard it a couple of times, so must be an add on wired to the reverse lights.

The low-air alarm in ours is ear-piercing, for sure. They all are. I can hear it outside of the cab with the window down and engine running.

And yeah, anyone can add a backup alarm. They just clip on to the lead for the reverse lights and ground to the frame. If I wanted one, I'd wire it up with a toggle on the dash so I could mute it before shifting to reverse when needed.

My coach had a backup alarm wired into the slide. That lasted about a week before I crawled under it and clipped the wires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom