Below 32

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dcrbtt

Should I purchase the pipe heating package for my RV. I do not plan to Cold Camp but......

Good Idea or Stupid.

A lot depends on your intended use and where you'll be, and when, but assuming you're talking a new unit option (not some aftermarket add-on) then if you are anywhere but the deep south anytime between mid-Sept. and mid-May, I'd suggest it (maybe even then). You may not expect to need it, but I hear that even central Florida gets some occasional freezing weather. If it were me, that would be a must.

Just FYI, when you're asking about RV stuff it's often helpful to know what kind of unit is involved: make, model, motorhome, pop-up, fifth wheel, travel trailer, truck camper? There are so many variations that general answers sometimes don't apply. Putting your unit in your signature can aid you and us.

I hear that even central Florida gets some occasional freezing weather.

We were in Sarasota one year at Christmas and it snowed. It didn't stick for long but it was cold!

ArdraF

Difficult to give good advice w/o more details, like which RV and what option.

Do keep in mind the pipes inside the RV are not going to freeze just because the temps go down to 29* for 3-4 hours in the early morning.  Now going to 31* at 8pm and dropping to 20* by 6am MAY be a concern depending on the RV and where the pipes are located.  Many RV's have the internal plumbing well protected if the propane forced air furnace is run to keep the inside temps above 50*.  So it really depends on the RV and where you expect to be.

I have been full-timing in a motorhome for over six years.  I mostly stay in warm places, but the two coldest places I have ever stayed for nighttime temps were Las Vegas and Death Valley.  About four years ago, it got down to 22 degrees one night in Death Valley.  And a couple of years ago, I left Las Vegas (Boulder Campground) in late January because it had dropped to 26 two nights in a row, and I was getting tired of the cold.  When I put my slides in, ice dropped off.  (Yes, it also rains in Las Vegas occasionally.)  Luckily, I have a heated utility compartment and use water from my fresh water tank when it gets really cold so I don't have to worry about a frozen water hose.   

My point is that even though you do not intend to camp in cold weather, cold weather does happen in some of the places you would least expect it.  It may be 65-70 degrees in the desert during the day, but it can drop to below freezing at night. 

That does not mean it will stay cold long enough for pipes to freeze, but it is something to take into consideration. 

Also, if you are not actually using the RV in sub-freezing weather, is it winterized for storage or just left as you last used it?  If you drain the water system or fill it with RV antifreeze, no need to worry about heating the pipes.  Are the fresh water and waste tanks empty full or unknown status?

Next question: what does this "pipe heating package" actually promise to do?  Is it some sort of heat pad for the water tanks, or a heat wrap around water lines, or just what?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom