Bench or Table & Chairs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jackiemac

Site Team
Any thoughts on whether it is better to have a bench style seating arrangement or freestanding table/chairs? 

thanks

I assume by "bench" you mean the "booth" style dinette.  It's all a matter of personal preference and needs.  For us, we often travel with three kids and so we have to convert the dinette for sleeping at night.  Table and chairs wouldn't work for us.  If we didn't need the sleeping space, though, I would probably opt for table and chairs.

jackiemac said:
Any thoughts on whether it is better to have a bench style seating arrangement or freestanding table/chairs? 

thanks

how long is a piece of rope? it will depend on your needs? the size trailer ? how big are you? how many people? why did the chicken cross the road? ::)

Well it's probably going to be 30ft 2 of us normally, we are not small! Dealership say they never sell bench style as people want elbow room. Not sure if knees get restricted in booth just wondered what other people's experience was.

why did the chicken cross the road?

To get to the other side?  ;D

i am 6'3' 230lbs with big shoulders - which means im not a small guy. i HATE those rinky dink little table and chairs they put in units meant for 2 people - they are up against a wall so my shoulder is rubbing the wall and my plate is 12 inches off center so i'm eating at an angle because the plates not in front of me.  we have a toy hauler with a bench set up in the garage the set up is for "6" it seats 4 nicely

If you want to know how a booth feels, sit in one at a dealer's lot.  They are pretty snug.  I'm 5'10", 200-210 (not muscle) and I fit OK in ours, but I would be more comfortable with table and chairs.

Based on your scenario, it sounds like you have no reason to go with a booth, unless (1) you anticipate having guests who would need the sleeping space (and aren't very big) or (2) you need the storage that is under the seats.

Thanks guys for both your comments. I am currently in Scotland so not easy to check out. Dealer we visited last year only had the table and chairs set up so couldn't compare. I guess it's not a big deal as there will be 4 other seats to choose from.

Cheers  ;D

Neither of us are "trim", but our dinette is staying in our small (25') 5th wheel.  It is comfortable for both of us to sit at and I need the storage under the seats.  We don't really need the bed (one time in 5 years), but we took out the jacknife sofa and put in two recliners in it's place so we still have an extra bed if needed. It works much better for us to have the dinette and there are no drawbacks for us.  Just pluses.

Booths have 2 benefits: Storage under the seat and conversion to a bed. They're generally uncomfortable in both the seat and bed position. Most people complain that they're too small to squeeze in and out of.

Freestanding, on the other hand, you can slide a chair out to make it easier to get in and out. They're still too small and like Steve said, jambed into a pretty tight space. Of course, the bench he's talking about in his FW is almost twice the standard size bench in a TT, so maybe he's a little out of context ;)

Generally most folks that don't need the extra bed or the storage are happier with a table & chairs. We definitely like the freestanding setup in our Park Trailer much better than the booth in the TT we traded in. We actually use this one.

Some models also have a sofa with a table in front of it for a dinette.

A COMFORTABLE booth would likely be my preference!  Unfortunately most have straight backs and thin padding. We have a table that extends with a leaf and comfortable chairs that works well.

A vote for booth.

Had one in every RV I've owned. Would be crowded (but doable) with four but very rarely more than two of us. Two people get more room to spread out both in seating and table area. Plus a bunch of extra storage. Aesthetically I think the table and chairs are prettier and more "home like" but for the reasons stated the booth dinette was a prerequisite during the search for our latest coach. (We had some trouble finding one combined with a gas oven, old school, guess we're in the minority)

Booth for DW and I. We like having the storage space. The cushions can be retro-fitted with something a bit more comfortable if desired. We have a table and chairs in our current trailer and really dislike it. I am planning to build a cabinet to replace them. It'll be 5' long, 30" high to stay under the windows and 18" deep.I plan on a top 24" deep. The 24" deep top will be enough so we can use 2 of the existing chairs as an eating area. It will greatly add to the counter space also. We have LG solid surface counter tops in the trailer that I can match from Lowe's. When I start that project, I will start a new thread on it, along with pics.

We may need to live with the table and chairs if we want a TT quickly as dealer we are considering always buys the trailer with that option.

Value everyone's opinions though  :D

Adding a dinette is certainly an option.  There are a few companies who custom make dinettes in several styles, several choices of coverings, both quality and color.  Prices ran from $800 to $2000+, if I remember.

We have a U-Dinette in ours... it turns into a pretty large bed, has storage under the seats, as well as an outside storage compartment for more storage under it....works for us.

My motorhome booth came with seatbelts so passengers can buckle up and ride at the booth.
We never do this but the option is there if we would decide to use it.
I never had a freestanding table/chairs. I often thought about the difficulty of safely storing them on trips, this might be a problem.  If I was in the market for a RV, I don?t think one or the other would be a deal breaker.

Back
Top Bottom