best bang for the buck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newrvfan

hello,
i'm new to the forum and have been reading a bit, but didn't find anything that addresses my situation...

i'm looking to get a RV because it would probably be the best option around where i work...

i'm single, no kids, not too much personal belongings.... basically looking for something for m-f as i will be gone most weekends.... just looking for a nice reliable living space during the week

what would y'all recommend? looking for the best bang for the buck.... seems like probably class C, but low end class As are also in my budget.... any brands/models that are more reliable, better built than others??

if there are any dealer recommendations in the deserts of southern california, that'd be great too!!

thanks so much

thanks...
definitely looking at fleetwoods
also seems like lazy daze gets a lot of good reviews here

what about coachmen? the coachmen freedom, with the garage option, seems like a good rv with lots of storage space??

in terms of brands....
winnebago vs. lazy daze vs. born free vs. itasca vs. coachman

what are the most... reliable models of each??

how does each weigh against each other??

what would be the most... cost effective (but if the most expensive one is worth every penny, that's ok too)

thanks

If you are looking for Mon-Fri living quarters, I recommend a trailer rather than a motorhome. There is no point in paying for a drive train under your home when it just sits there all the time. A travel trailer would be ideal and inexpensive.

But if you want something you can drive rather than tow, I suggest one of the smaller Class A models, e.g. a Fleetwood Terra or Fiesta or Winnebago Sightseer. They generally have a bit more interior room than a Class C and won't cost any more.

thanks again

i thought about a travel trailer for a while, but i'm located near barstow california, which means for me to go anywhere requires going through mountainous roads.... i thought it would be easier to have a motorized unit because it would be easier to drive than having a trailer attached to a truck (which also means i gotta go out there and get a full size heavy duty truck)

would these considerations put me back in the small classA/class C side, or would you still recommend a travel trailer?

also, i'm completely new to the RV scene.... from what i researched, winnebago and fleetwood seems to be respectable brands in terms of build quality and reliability.... is that true?

thanks so much.

It would help to know more about your work situation. Are you commuting every day? How long will you be in the same location? The cost of gas, maintenance, etc. to use even a small class A or C for travel back and forth would cost more than leaving a TT in one place and using the tow vehicle for your commutes. You wouldn't necessarily have to buy a huge, heavy duty truck - it all depends on weight. Also, consider that if you used the A or C for commutes, you'd probably be spending time repacking lawn chairs and other things every day, that you could leave on site with the TT. Of course you could tow a vehicle behind the A or C for commuting, but then you also need to consider whether your present vehicle is towable 4-down with just a towbar and baseplate, or will it require extensive mod's? Some cannot be towed 4-down at all, so you may have to get a dolly - not recommended, or purchase something else. Many things to consider, and the more information you provide, the better we may be able to steer you in the right direction.

Thanks.

The potential RV site is 2.5 miles from work, so I will not be driving the A/C to work on a daily basis.  With that said, the site has electric hook-ups and the a water filling station that is about a quarter mile from the main site.  The reason to get the RV is because otherwise, the closest living situation is 35miles away from work.  I will be at this location for about three years.

Although I will not be looking to drive on a daily basis, I might be taking trips every other month, or to take it in for scheduled maintenance.

As of now, I have a subaru forester as a daily driver.  I'm not worried about leaving the car at work, should I want to take off for a trip.

I hope that clears up the situation a bit more.  Thanks!!

The Subaru website shows a trailer hitch for towing rated at 2,000lbs. for the automatic, or 2,400lbs. for the manual transmission. Not a whole lot, but maybe enough for your needs. Remco Towing, the experts in vehicle towing, does not list the Subaru at all, so I can't tell what modifications may be required or whether it can be towed at all. A call to them at 1-800-228-2481 should give you the answer. Maybe someone on the forum knows?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom