Best bets for big rigs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
We normally use a combination of Trailer Life and Woodalls campground directories when looking for a place to stay. Local/state CG directories such as state park brochures and the BLM directory provide some additional information. For the most part, these directories have served us well, although we usually call ahead to make sure they can accomodate us. Sometimes a "big rigs welcome" park really can't take us.

On our last trip I kept seeing a spiral bound directory for big rigs on the counter at various CG offices. I'd pick it up, browse a few pages, and put it down. At our last CG I finally decided to buy a copy of Big Rigs Best Bets Campground Directory. We didn't need it for that trip, since this was our last stop before returning home, but this evening I started looking it over. Looks like it could be very useful since, among other things, it gets down to the detail of specific sites at a given campground. It also has listings along interstate corridors.

Tom,

It will be interesting to learn if your new book really works. Calling the campground and asking if they have a site large enough is not reliable. We had our son make reservations for us at a military famcamp for the Change of Command. I was concerned when our son said the woman stated we would fit with some creative backing. Luckily for us Don Miller just happened to be there the week before we were to arrive.  He kindly, without us asking, checked the site for us. There was a Class C in the spot and it barely fit!! They wouldn't let us change sites so we made alternate plans.

If its the book I'm thinking of.......it includes the site #'s of big rig friendly sites within the campgrounds it lists.  So if you call ahead you can request the recommended sites. Has a section for 45 footer's, and some dining recommendations. And a section call interstate corridors, which lists parks that can accommodate you for an overnite stay in a pull-thru while driving a 45' w/tow.

Barb
78 days to go

That's the one Barb. Also has lists of instant-on phone and WiFi parks. They don't bother with ratings like TL and Woodalls, which we found to be unreliable anyway.

It would useful if the various guides start listing satellite friendly sites :)

I don't pay much attention to the ratings either. ?They often bear little resemblence to reality.

Ned, remember when Ed kept a list of modem-friendly parks? We could start a list of parks with no trees over 12 feet high. OTOH someone  might use the list a year or two later and the trees might have grown  ;D

One issue with a sat list would be the fact that many CGs have some sites that would be blocked and others that would be OK.

Check out the http://www.satellitefriendly.com web site.  This is an excellent start of just such a list.  There is software that can automatically update the database using the coordinates from a Datastorm or you can manually enter the lat/lon.  The program will also update the Datastormusers map at the same time.  I update both every time we park for the night.

Back
Top Bottom