Best Campground directory? (We have some planning to do!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnshenry

Hi Group

Next summer, my wife, 2 kids and our dog will embark on a 42-45 day, 8000-9000 mile tour of the US (Northeast to Vancouver, to San Diego Dallas, through the Appalachians, back home).  Thus far we have bought a used motorhome, stuck some pins in a map of the US and listed the locations in a spreadsheet.  Now the planning starts......

1. What is the best resource for finding campsites? (we are just about as green as they get to RV'ing, but will take a few "practice" trips early next year..) I searched on the web but was surprised to not find much.  The vast majority of the places we have picked, we really don't know much about.  Is there a book?  I have heard about the Good Sam club, and would probably join anyway... do they offer a directory?  Just use walmart.com?  <kidding>

2.  This may or may not be realistic, but I'm very interested in comments/suggestions.  We want to have a plan, but feel no pressure to move long and keep on schedule throughout the trip. Of course we'll make reservations, but if we just want to stay an extra day somewhere because it is nice (or leave a day early because it sucks!) we want to be able to.  So my plan is to make reservations at every stop, but also to have alternates, with phone numbers, etc. in our log book. Of course we would call and cancel any res we wouldn't use.  And for those reasons, we DO NOT want to stay at the most popular place, where you have to make reservations 2 years out, and if you "slip" you have no chance of getting another night.

Also worth mentioning:  I/we don't like crowds.  I am hoping for as many serene, quiet campsites as I can find. 

We will have an 11 and 14 year old with us, and our Border Collie, Belle, so we will need campgrounds that allow pets.

I know that is a "broad" question, but I thought I would start with that.  We are really excited about this, and I'll be back posting  and reading again I am sure!!

TIA

JH

Buy yourself a copy of the Woodalls campground directory available at Camping World.

We rarely make reservations. On our 10,000 miles trip across the U.S. and eastern Canada we had reservations at only two campgrounds and one of those was over the July 4th holiday.

John & Sherry

I second what Tom had to say. Get Woodall's or, as others on this forum will recommend, Trailer Life. Both give a fairly comprehensive list of RV parks and rate them as well as list features so you know what you are getting before you get there. We hardly ever make reservations unless we know we have to be at a specific location at a specific time. Otherwise we play it 1 park at a time, arriving without reservations. The lack of reservations seldom causes a problem. We have found that our original plans are subject to considerable variation. Last summer we had planned to go south down the Oregon coast and wound up spending time in Central Washington state and going south thru WA, OR and NV. If we find someplace we like, we can stay longer. If we are underwhelmed, we move on the next day.

Of course, surfing after posting, I did find some better resources.  I will definately get Woodall's, and will subscribe to Trailer Life.  We'll plan from the (web)sites and the books, and of course bring the books along with us on the trip. 

Encouraging to hear that some make no reservations.  I would actually prefer that, don't want any pressure.  We can research and document all of the "possibles" prior to leaving, and then just call ahead.

Would this be right forum to solicit park recommendations for particular areas?  I think we have 30 stops on the list so far.  Sure, we'll search the sites and books, but many of these places we don't have a clue about.  I'd like to hear from anyone who has had a good or bad experience in these areas....

Thanks

JH

Would this be right forum to solicit park recommendations for particular areas?  I think we have 30 stops on the list so far.  Sure, we'll search the sites and books, but many of these places we don't have a clue about.  I'd like to hear from anyone who has had a good or bad experience in these areas

Sure.  Give us an itinerary of your stopping places and folks will chime in on the areas they know of.

We rarely make reservations unless we are attending a rally or plan to remain at one park for a long period of time.  We like the flexability.

I also agree with Carl's suggestion about posting your planned route.  I'm sure others will provide you with many recommendations as to what is available to see and recommend campgrounds.

Well all righty then, here we go:

Buffalo, NY/Niagara Falls
Cleveland/Sandusky
Cleveland/Sandusky
Dayton, OH
Chicago/Milwaukee
Minneapolis
Sioux Falls
Black Hills
Black Hills
Billings
Helena/Great Falls
Lake Louise
Lake Louise
Kellowna, BC
Vancouver/Vancouver Island
Victoria/Seattle
Portland
Portland
Crescent City, CA
Crescent City
San Francisco
Sacramento
Santa Maria
Los Angeles
San Diego
Las Vegas
Grand Canyon
Grand Canyon
Taos, NM
Amarillo
Dallas
Dallas
Little Rock
Nashville
Asheville
Asheville
Charlotte
Gettysburg
Trenton

Now you can see some stops are listed more than once, those are multiple nights. 

Nothing is cast in stone yet.

A few of these stops have a planned purpose, visit friends, museums, amusement parks (we'll not be towing a vehicle, so the RV has to take us to all of them), but MANY of them are just "general areas of interest", places I hope to find that serene spot.

Thanks for any tips!!!

JH

johnshenry said:
(we'll not be towing a vehicle, so the RV has to take us to all of them), but MANY of them are just "general areas of interest", places I hope to find that serene spot.JH

Hi JH,

What is the size of your rig?  Many of the neat tourist spots or points of interest may be a bit tricky with a big rig. We too, like the serene out of the way spots but the "sights" may be a bit more crowded.  We've been to many of the western area spots on your  trip but it will be helpful to know the size of your rig before we make recomendations.  Are you sure you don't want to tow a vehicle to tour  sights?

Betty and Terry

Unless your Motorhome is a class C or very small class A I would strongly recommend considering a tow vehicle to visit points of interest.  As Betty has mentioned let us know the size of your MH.

In the Black hills I would suggest visiting Custer state park and Mount Rushmore.  On your way to Billings plan spending a night in Hardin Mt and visit the Custer battleground. I do not recommend planning on over nighting in Billings but continue on and stop beyond Billings.  We have a place in Lewistown.  You could go North out of Billings to Lewistown over night in Lewistown and then go on the Great Falls.  In Great Falls visit the Lewis & Clark Center, Giant Springs (near the Lewis & Clark center) and the Charlie Russel art Museum.  From Great Falls you can continue on to Helena. 

johnshenry said:
Well all righty then, here we go:

Cleveland/Sandusky
Cleveland/Sandusky
Dayton, OH
Chicago/Milwaukee
Minneapolis
Sioux Falls
Black Hills
Black Hills
Billings
Helena/Great Falls
Lake Louise
Lake Louise
Kellowna, BC
Vancouver/Vancouver Island
Victoria/Seattle
Portland
Portland
Crescent City, CA
Crescent City
San Francisco
Sacramento
Santa Maria
Los Angeles
San Diego
Las Vegas
Grand Canyon
Grand Canyon
Taos, NM
Amarillo
Dallas
Dallas
Little Rock
Nashville
Asheville
Asheville
Charlotte
Gettysburg
Trenton

Now you can see some stops are listed more than once, those are multiple nights. 

Nothing is cast in stone yet.

A few of these stops have a planned purpose, visit friends, museums, amusement parks (we'll not be towing a vehicle, so the RV has to take us to all of them), but MANY of them are just "general areas of interest", places I hope to find that serene spot.

Thanks for any tips!!!

JH

JH,

To get really good information, as Betty said, we need to know the size of your rig. Also at your stops where you have something in particular that you want to see you might mention that so those of us who have been there can give you a better idea on how long it will take to see the attraction. I see you have Dayton Ohio on your list. Is that for the U.S. Air Force Museum? If so I would allow two days to do the museum justice. Since 9/11 you can only get to the Presidential fleet hanger (retired Air Force One aircraft) by shuttle bus. Reservations are usually filled by 9 to 9:30 in the morning for the day. No advanced reservations taken.

Do you have any connection to the military. If so there are military FamCamps at many of the areas you are planning on going.

For Nashville I can recommend Two Rivers Campground. http://www.tworiverscampground.com/

If you need a campground around Memphis, TN I can recommend Tom Sawyer's RV Park just across the bridge in West Memphis, AR.  http://www.woodalls.com/a/02850_TomSawyers.html

For the Grand Caynon we have stayed at Railside RV Park in Williams and took the train to the canyon.  http://www.thegrandcanyon.com/railside/

This forum is full of information so ask away.

Don

Do you have a generator? With that you can boondock at Walmart when in travel mode and save your funds for CGs at tourist sites.
Join escapees for a great source of info.

Concerning your route, I have appended some comments:
Cleveland/Sandusky
Cleveland/Sandusky
Dayton, OH
Chicago/Milwaukee-No CGs near Chicago, some in Milwaukee. Try the state fairgrounds.
Minneapolis-
Sioux Falls
Black Hills-Tue, Jul 20, 1999 2:06:06 AM
Subject: #342045-Rapid City CG Rating

We just stayed a week at Horse Thief CG at Hill City.  A nice park in a convenient location at the west entrance to Custer SP and Mt Rushmore. Sites are a little tight there also, but not like Holiday.  No problems with electric or water, either.  Price was $23.50 for full hookup.  There is also the Rafter J Bar Ranch at Hill City: we drove through the campground and looked around and it seemed quite pleasant, with sites spread out much more than seems typical in the Black Hills.  If I went back, I would try there.
Wed, May 6, 1998 11:36:06 AM
RICHARD M. C***

...we did stay at Big Pine CG in Custer. Spent several days there, reasonable fees and great people. As close to things as anything in the Black Hills.

Happy Holiday Campground,
8990 S. Hwy 16
Rapid City, SD 57701

(605)-342-7365

at exit 57 from I-90, south 8.5 miles on US-16W (Across the highway from the
Reptile Gardens).

43 deg 59.40 min North Latitude
103 deg 16.13 min West Longitude

Sites are a bit tight for larger MH's but doable.  Has 50 amp power,
satellite TV (13 channels), and full hook-ups.  Lots of trees but you should
be able to get a connection on DSS satellite.

Owners are computer friendly.  They have a dedicated RJ-11 jack in the game
room.  Available at any time the office is open (7:00 AM-9:00PM).

Moderately expensive, but so are all of the private parks in the area.  We
paid $83.49 for three nights including 50 amp power, full hook-ups, and cable
satellite TV.
Black Hills
Billings-From:    Gary & Nancy B***
Actually stayed at the Pelican RV Park in Laurel west of Billings, a place I would NOT recommend.  It is part of a large truck stop and there is inadequate (read zero) separation between campground and the area where truckers rest, so you get noise and diesel fumes all day and night.  Park itself is fine and only $16.64 for full hookups with 50A.
99/08/05
Helena/Great Falls-agree with Ron Ruward.

Glacier National Park.    I highly recommend the KOA at West Glacier....excellent sites and facilities and it is one of the stops on the Glacier NP shuttles.  Use the shuttles to travel in the park...in particular do NOT try to take an RV over Going to the Sun Highway, take a shuttle or a Red Coach tour...the trip is gorgeous but spooky to drive, so leave the driving to a pro.    Spend a week  exploring Glacier and the Flathead Lake area.

The Plains Indian Museum at Browning near East Glacier is worth a stop  Great Falls has a great Museum with Some good Russell paintings.  The State Museum in helena is also well worth a visit.  The most secenic route to Yellowstone would be to go to Billings, south to Red Lodge and up the Cook city Highway.  Very spectacular but long & a bit steep.

Lake Louise
Fm: Terry N***  00/07/17

Tunnel Mountain Trailor Park at Banff was very good, full hook-up, 30amp

#: 431403 S3/Destinations/Parks  (CIS:RV)
    09-Jul-01  21:46:04
Sb: Alberta, Canada
Fm: Elly D  01/07/09
My first suggestion is to stay at Tunnel Mountain in Banff. It is a huge campground (1100+ lots) but does not feel big at all. If you are willing to have a power-only lot, ask for the far end of the RV lot "in the front row".... you have a fantastic view. You can make nice walks right from the campground.

Next suggestion, do go an see Lake Louise (if possible not in an RV), and walk to the end of the lake. It is a very nice walk, completely level with great views.
But don't stay too long, head back down the mountain and turn right to Morraine Lake. In my opinion by far the most beautiful lake you will see! Do your very best to clim to the top of the rockpile (you'll see what I mean) and make sure you have plenty of film. Sit on a bench and stare  for a while.

Lake Louise
Kellowna, BC-Fm: Terry N
01/08/09

Holiday Park Resort in (near) Kelowna.  This is one of the best CGs we have ever visited - very much on a par with TGO in Titusville.  Plenty of fun things for kids and adults to do, 4 swimming pools, good size camping places

Vancouver/Vancouver Island-Wed, May 6, 1998 11:27:10 AM
B***, James J

Anacortes area.  After checking into the Fidalgo Bay RV Park,

bc victoria
Ft Victoria RV Park.  You might be able to get transportation from there to Buchart Gardens.

DAY 5:  Head north on TC-1 about 70-80 miles to Parksville.    About a mile south of Parksville off Hwy 19 is Rathtrevor Beach Provincial Park - beautiful mile-long sandy beach with outstanding views of Georgia Strait and mainland mountains. 

DAY 6-7:  Back track to Nanaimo (Duke Point) and catch the ferry to Hoseshoe Bay.  Don't worry about arriving at the ferry terminal at a specific time because they depart every hour and a half or so. 

Our favorite Vancouver area c/g is Porteau Cove PP but without a "toad" I'd suggest you stay at Capilano RV Park at the north end of the Lions Gate Bridge. 

DAY 8:  For great scenery, head west then north on PR-99

Narin Falls (196' emerald green waterfalls) PP is just a few miles north of Whistler and is a good place to camp for the night.  If you're not ready to stop for the night, Marble Canyon PP with its limestone cliffs soaring more than a half mile above two jewel-like, turquoise colored lakes is about 50-60 miles further north, near Pavilion.

DAY 9:My suggested stopping point is North Thompson River PP, a few miles S of Clearwater.  This should give you time to explore Kamloops or do a little hiking along the Thompson and Clearwater Rivers after you set up camp.

DAY 10:  Today you continue north on Yellowhead-5 to Tete Jaune Cache where you turn east on Yellowhead-16 to Jasper.  This will be about a 240-mile day.  We stay at Whistlers C/G - largest c/g in whch we've ever stayed, but nice.  It's part of Jasper National Park system.

DAY 11: Today is reserved for exploring Jasper and environs.  I expect some of the Olympic venues  would be worth visiting.  Anyway, no matter which way you look you will find great scenery.  Wont specify any specific attractions as we haven't been there since the Olympics.  Maybe Elly Dalmaijer (76513,255) who lives near Edmonton could give you some suggestions on what to see/do in Jasper.

DAY 12:  Although it's only about 100-miles from Jasper to Lake Louise and another 30 to Banff, it shouldn't be covered in less than two days.  IMHO, this section of PR-93 is one of the most beautiful highways any where so stop at those view points, "smell the roses," and take some outstanding pictures.  If you have binoculars, use them to search the mountain sides for wildlife.  Plan on spending a few hours at the Columbian Icefield and definitely take a snowcat ride on it.  When we were first there in the early '70s, the glacier reached all the way to the highway - it's a long way from there now.  There are primitive campgrounds all along this route as well as in the immediate area of the icefields

DAY 13:  Continue down beautiful/picturesque PR-93 to Lake Louise and Bamff.  In the early morning the lakes along the highway are mirror like and provide great picture opportunties.  When in the Banff/Lake Louise area, we usually stay at Tunnel Mountain Trailer Court - part of the Banff National Park System.  For a special treat, have diner at the Lake Louise Lodge and take advantage of a world renowned view.

DAY 14:  Today is set aside to explore the Banff/Lake Louise area.  For a unique train/tunnel picture head west to Yoho National Park.  Just west of the Continental Divide there is a view point where you can see long freight trains going through a circular mountain tunnel with both the engine and caboose visible - one above the other.  Yoho also has a couple of real nice waterfalls - the ride into Kicking Horse Falls is interesting!

DAY15:  Today I suggest you head to Waterton Lakes NP.  There's the shorter (about 250 mi) prairie way via Calgary and Ft Macleod or the longer (about 300mi) but more scenic route via PR-93, 3 and 6.  I suggest the latter (I never tire of the mountains!!) and if you don't make it all the way, so be it.  There are several nice PPs off PR-3.  Kikomun is a few miles SE of Elko on Lake Koocanusa and Mt Fernie is a few miles SE of Fernie.  Both are nice parks.

DAY 16:  If you made it to Waterton yesterday, fine if not you probably have 70-80 miles to go before you reach the park.  Anyway, today is devoted to seeing Waterton Lakes NP.  Enjoy a boat ride on the lake and don't forget your camera!!

DAY 17:  This morning you move across the border to Glacier NP.  I suggest you first find a site in Rising Sun C/G on St Mary Lake and then catch one of the park shuttle bus that tour the Going-To-The-Sun Highway.  If you want to go touring on your own, consider checking-in at the St Mary KOA - they rent cars. Unless you've rented a very small, narrow rig, I don't advise you take it on the Going-To-The-Sun Highway.

DAY 18:  You need to get on the road early today to reach Yellowstone NP before dark.  It's about 430-miles via US-89 and 287 but doable - about 11 hours driving.  I suggest making a reservation at the West Yellowstone KOA for this evening while in St Mary when it's convient.  You can do this at the St Mary KOA.

DAY 19:  First thing in the morning you need to select your Yellowstone c/g.  We like Grant at Grant Village but many prefer Fishing Bridge at Fishing Bridge. After getting a campsite, go exploring.  You can get a schedule for the eruptions of the various geysers at Old Faithful Lodge.  You probably want to see Old Faithful first anyway.  Have fun!!

DAY 20:  See more of Yellowstone NP.

DAY 21:  Time to end this "Mountain Adventure."  Its about 740-miles from West Yellostone to Seattle via US-287 and I-90.  Doable in two days wiithout sightseeing stops.  Today you should try to make it to St Regis (about 330-miles) where there's a Holiday Travel Park.

DAY 22:  The 410-miles you have to cover today are all freeway and should easily be made in less than 8-hours driving time.  Plan on boondocking in front of our house.  We'll be very, very interested in how your trip went!!
?FB?MF
Date:    Thu, May 7, 1998 10:03:27 AM
Subject: Rocky Mountains

James has planned a great trip for you and I can't improve much on it.
Just a few comments:

Day 11: Don't look for Olympic facilities in Jasper. The games have never been held there (yet). But see Day 15 below
For a special treat have breakfast at the Jasper Park Lodge, located just east out of the town on the road to Edmonton. (Of course at this point you can keep going another 3 1/2/ hours and boondock at my house!)

Day 12. Just south of Jasper, take the 93a which runs parallel to the main road 93. You'll be "alone in the world" - more or less anyway, but a lot quieter than the 93.  At the southend of this road is a road leading to Mount Edith Cavell. This is my favorite in the Rockies! But be warned: the road surface, even though paved,  sufferes badly from frost heaving so the trip will be noisy and bone rattling but worth it. GO EARLY IN THE DAY e.e. before 9! After that the have made access one way on the aternating hours, so enquire with the staff at Whistler Campground. Also about possible restrictions in MH size size for this road.  At the end of the Mt Edith Cavell Road is a small parking lot and from there you can take the wonderful short walk to the glacier and it's lake. This is literally AWE-some!

Day 14 "Kicking Horse Falls" is actually called "Takkakaw Falls". You find it by following the highway 1 out of Lake Louise, turning west into BC.  After you've crossed the continental divide you will see the sign for the Takkakaw Falls on your right. Don't doi this road if your motorhome is longer than about 30'!!! You should see how a bus takes those hairpins: by going forward to the first turn,  then backing up to the next turn, etc.... you definitely don't want to do that with a rented MH. But you have no problems with something smaller.

Day 15 I will offer one more choice of roads: head east out of Banff towards Calgary, but turn south on the 40 (Kananskis Highway) NOW you are in Olympic territory, on your right will be the down hill ski area. Follow this road to the end at Highwood at which point it becomes a gravel road, but a very good gravel road. Halfway down this road you will find a wonderful almost free campground called Livingstone Falls. If you go with kids, they can slide on their bellies down these falls. Otherwise watch other kids doing it. It is very peaceful and quiet here.

Day 17 James mentioned the "small narrow rig". Nothing longer than 23' is not allowed on the Going-to-the-Sun Road anymore.  Use the shuttle bus.

Day 21 When you taking the I90 west, take the turnoff called "Clinton" just east of Missoula and have a BIG laugh at the roadside restaurant famous for it's "Testicle Festival" (motto: "I had a ball at the Testicle Festival".... Honestly... I'm not making this up... I have a little shot glass at home to prove it).

James has planned a perfect itinerary for you... it exactly the same trip we recommend our overseas visitors!

Enjoy my beautiful province!

Russell: my personal favorite BC CGC:
Ripple Rock RV park
on inland passage at Brown's Bay
250-287-7108
Campbell River, Vancouver Island, BC
21 K N of visitor's center and 5 K down gravel road
N 50, 9.489'  W 125, 22.166'

The 200 nile drive N from Victoria partially follows the coast through beautiful lands with some fine sea views. Lots more people here than I expected.

The turnoff to the resort is well marked and the road down is just that...down a steep dirt/gravel route to the ocean. At the bottom there is a salmon processing facility and the resort is a K away, far enough to be silent.

The resort is well designed for RVs with 30 some sites in one row facing the water, all with spectacular views of the inland passage and the mountainous Quadra island on the other side. Pine covered mountains rise behind the resort.  Boats pass by constantly. Guests are given a schedule for cruise ships, One passed by yesterday evening only about half a mile out. A seal was out front and a pod of dolphin went by. Ashore, there are many hummingbirds.

Satellite reception is marginal for domes, some ot the channels are ragged. Cell phone service is, of course, nonexistant.

Elly in St.Albert AB
Victoria/Seattle
Portland-Jantzen Beach
i5 exit 308
We stayed at Jantzen Beach this June and found it to be a clean, well-kept place.  It has a nice pool if I remember correctly.  We'd recommend it. (Although we have the same name, we have no connection to Jantzen Beach Campground)  503-289-7626
Herm

Pheasant Ridge RV Park

I would highly recommend the Pheasant Ridge RV Park just south of Portland. 1-800-532-7829.
Lots of level full hookup concrete sites, cable, telephone line in the office they allow you to use for downloads, well laid out, with weekly and monthly rates.  There is a bus connection to the Tri Met bus system in Portland.
We just finished a month and a half there and these people could not be more hospitable.

Colombia River RV Park.
It is off Marine Drive and 13th st on the other side of the freeway from Jantzen beach.
Portland

sea perch rv park, S of Yachats on coast, treeless, great ocean front site.

You must do the whole Oregon coast!

Crescent City, CA
Crescent City
San Francisco
Sacramento
Santa Maria
Los Angeles
San Diego-Chula Vista RV Resort & Marina (San Diego)
800-770-2878
619-422-0111

[email protected]

best sites for marina view in SE corner:
232-236.
29-64 if can face head into space to face outside.

200-236 SE faceing pullthroughs.

I find a handy tool when traveling to be my laptop computer, equiped with a GPS reciver and mapping software (in my case Microsoft Streets and Trips,,, Kind of whish I'd purchased a different product but S&T works)

S&T has listings for campgrounds, restaurants, police, fire and other government buildings, schools, post offices, airports and many other "places of interest"  I was campground shopping with it just last night in fact.

If you are connected to the net when using it.. It links to Woodalls online directory for even more information on the campgrounds

And of course you can also use the ever popular friend of internet users everywhere GOOGLE  Just type the name of the city you are visiting and camping... something like this  Detroit, MI +camping  (Or you might try campgrounds)

Of course with Google you can get a case of TMI (Too much informaiton) rather quickly

John In Detroit said:
I find a handy tool when traveling to be my laptop computer, equiped with a GPS reciver and mapping software (in my case Microsoft Streets and Trips,,, Kind of whish I'd purchased a different product but S&T works)

John, I am looking at the Microsoft GPS setup with Streets and Trips as appears to be a viable alternative to the more expenxive units. However, appears you have some reservations? I would imagine the hand held units would be more "convemient" but cost is a serious factor here - - $175.00 vs $900.00 can't be ignored. Would really like to have your, and others, thoughts on this alternative.  Tom M.........

Wow, great tips!!!

We'll be in a 28ft class C Jamboree.  We had planned on towing a car, but with the added hassle and loss of cas mileage vs the number of times we would actually need it made it hard to justify.  We figured we could rent a car in those areas, maybe even rent one way and drive along for a few stops.

I'll be printing out all the suggestions (and any more that come up) and we'll integrate them into the planning.  Keep 'em coming!  This will really be helpful.....!

I do plan in buying a GPS, we'll have a notebook PC with us.  I have heard about S&T and I guess you can get that for cheap with a GPS card now (like $80?).  We'll want to have something.

JH

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom