Best Cell Phone service for NW, Canada and Alaska?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Just Lou

June 3rd is fast approaching (our departure date for our Alaska trip) and I still have some unanswered questions.

I would like to switch (or activate a second) cell phone provider(s) and would like advice on which carrier MAY provide the best coverage for this trip.  I currently have Alltel.  Anyone have an idea in this area?

I know I'll run into areas with limited or NO service but would like to maximize my chances of some service en-route.

TIA, lou

Have you looked into Verizon?  With VZW you can get coverage in Canada and all US, of course.  The coverage in Canada uses the Bell Telephone network which is probably the better choice of carrier in Canada.

Thanks Steve,

Some other folks have suggested Verizon as well.  I'll give it a try as I'm not real happy with alltel here in NC anyway.  lou

Steve said:
Have you looked into Verizon?  With VZW you can get coverage in Canada and all US, of course.  The coverage in Canada uses the Bell Telephone network which is probably the better choice of carrier in Canada.

Steve,

What are the roaming charges to use Verizon in Canada on a US account?

Check Here on Verizon's site for roaming and International Plans.

I use the North America's Choice Plan all year long which provides access to Cda and U.S while we are in both Countries.

Verizon is probably the best bet, but you aren't going to have much coverage anyway once you leave the larger cities and towns of lower BC.  Upper BC is a cellular (and land line) wasteland and so is most all of the Yukon.  Even Whitehorse, YK, which has a cell system, does not open it to roamers because it overwhelms the capacity and causes problems for the residents who pay year around.  There are maybe a half dozen places in Alaska where you can get cell service and probably none of them will have any data access.  Anchorage, Fairbanks, Haines, Seward, & Soldatna come to mind as having cell service. There's probaly  a few more.

This info is as of 2002, so maybe there has been some improvement since then.

Gary:

I beleive I had data service at Skagway and Juneau last Spring on our cruise to Alaska.

I know Skagway & Haines have decent voice service, but data service (digital) must be new.  Haven't been to Juneau, since you can't drive the RV to it.  ;)  Stands to reason that Juneau would have good cell service, though.

Speaking of Verizon - have they changed something?

I haven't been able to get into "National Access" yet on this trip.  I get rejected - "User Name and/or Password invalid on domain".  Everytime I've tried my phone was displaying the "1x" symbol that I think means National Access - the high speed internet connection is available.

Can get into Quick net ok. but it drops out on me.

I checked it out on this computer back in Feb '06 and it worked fine.

We're in OKC, ran into an enthusastic lady at the OK welcome center and have a three day ittinnerty.

joelmyer said:

I haven't been able to get into "National Access" yet on this trip.  I get rejected - "User Name and/or Password invalid on domain".  Everytime I've tried my phone was displaying the "1x" symbol that I think means National Access - the high speed internet connection is available.

We're in OKC, ran into an enthusastic lady at the OK welcome center and have a three day ittinnerty.

Joel:

When I get that message the username/password has gotton changed OR I am not on the Verizon network. I seem to recall in OKC last winter we were on the extended network.

Joel,

Check your latest bill from VZW and look for the following or similar wording under your service profile:

Enhanced services:
Call Forwarding Caller ID, Call Waiting, Message Waiting Indicator,
No Answer/Busy Transfer, 3-Way Calling, Basic Voice Mail, Natl
Enhanced Service Access
Unlimited IN Calling Unltd Night & Weekend Minutes

If it doesn't say Natl Enhanced Service Access then NA won't work on your plan.

BTW In Calling does not apply when in Canada.  All calls are on the clock while in Canada, even if your plan includes unlimited IN Callling in the U.S.

joelmyer said:

Joel,

If I remember right, when we were in OKC last summer, I couldn't connect even with the 1X showing. I think Jeff is correct, OKC is an extended network for Verizon.

joelmyer said:
I haven't been able to get into "National Access" yet on this trip. 

Thanks all, It was probably that we were on extended service.  Still haven't gotten on, where in the west is there not extended service?

We just arrived at Taos & I signed up for the pay wifi.

See ya'll at Moab.

Joel

I am in OKC and Verizon is showing Extended Service. On the trip to Phoenix last winter I think the next Verizon tower was in AZ.  :mad: :mad:

Some days the D/W is worth more than others. ;D ;D

Back
Top Bottom