Best Floorplan/make for a larger double bunk 5th Wheel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Radioherd

Hi All,

We are looking to start our long term RV adventure with two young boys (2.5+4) - the floorplans we like best to give them room so far are these two:

However, on RV Insider we have seem some pretty bad reviews for "quality" and "warranty" with Forest River. Is this a brand we should avoid? Anyone have a better brand with similar layouts we should consider instead?

We are starting with the ideal RIG then getting the truck to pull it!

Some Forest River products are better than others, which can be the same with all other manufacturers. The Cedar Creek line is generally better than the Sierra line but niether one is particularly higher end just look at the Gvwr and dry weight, when a 40ft 5er only weight in a 12000 lbs they are shaving weight somewhere, so dig a little to find out where, is it wall thickness? Small holding tanks? Super lightweight non durable furniture? Cheap slide mechanisms? I worked for a Forest River dealer for a bit and like the other brands find the floor plan you like (which you did) now research other makes. Price has a huge impact on quality in the rv world, and make sure you have correct size tow vehicle to match the size of the trailer.

I think you will find that absolutely EVERY brand of RV has negative reviews somewhere. No matter what you purchase, you will have issues that will need to be resolved. It will take about a year of constant use to flush out all the problems, as things don't become apparent until the camper has bounced down the road a few thousand miles. So if these are the models and floor plans you like, then take the leap of faith and go for it. Again, no matter what you purchase, you are going to have fix stuff, especially if purchasing new.

If you have not done so, then you now need to get off the internet and actually go see those two models in person. Find a dealership that sells them and take a look. If you like them, all is well. But if you are hesitant, you now have a baseline of what you like and don't like in your search for other brands.

Actually stepping inside the camper and looking at it will give you a new perspective. And since you are serious about these two models, spend some time inside them. Don't just step in and step out. Spend some time. Sit at the dinette, lay on the bed, sit on the "royal throne", open the cabinets, doors, windows, look in the refrigerator, and crawl UNDER the camper see what it really looks like under there. Then do the same with the second model.

The colors, the claustrophobic feeling, the texture of the wall, everything will speak to you. This is the stuff you cannot get off the internet.

If you are still truly serious at this point, then have the dealership retract all the slides ... THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT ... because when the slides are in, the camper is a totally different animal. Can you still function with the slides "in". With two small boys, traveling on the road, you are going to want to stop for bathroom breaks, maybe even naps at rest areas, and stopping to prepare lunch on the road. Can you function with everything "IN".... this is very, very important and something that a lot of folks do not consider until after they purchase the camper and then they are clearly disappointed.

Last, consider where the hook-ups are located. How hard is it to reach the dump valves.... you most likely will have 4 holding tanks ... 2 black and 2 grey since you have 2 bathrooms. Where are the sewer hose connections and where are the release valve handles. You may find you'll have to crawl under a slide out to pull one set of them.

Consider where the water hook-up is located. And how outside storage does it have behind those outside hatch doors.

It's more than just a floor plan to consider. The floor plan may fit, but the logistics of everything else may just suck!

But as far as quality ... it's anyone's gamble on ANY of them.

Good luck in your quest.

Last edited:
It has been my observation that there is no RV manufacturer that is so good that they have no unhappy customers and neither is any so bad that they have no satisfied customers.

Some Forest River products are better than others, which can be the same with all other manufacturers. The Cedar Creek line is generally better than the Sierra line but niether one is particularly higher end just look at the Gvwr and dry weight, when a 40ft 5er only weight in a 12000 lbs they are shaving weight somewhere, so dig a little to find out where, is it wall thickness? Small holding tanks? Super lightweight non durable furniture? Cheap slide mechanisms? I worked for a Forest River dealer for a bit and like the other brands find the floor plan you like (which you did) now research other makes. Price has a huge impact on quality in the rv world, and make sure you have correct size tow vehicle to match the size of the trailer.
The GVR for the two attached is 14000-16000 - that seems in line with what something this size should be from what i'm seeing yes?

I think you will find that absolutely EVERY brand of RV has negative reviews somewhere. No matter what you purchase, you will have issues that will need to be resolved. It will take about a year of constant use to flush out all the problems, as things don't become apparent until the camper has bounced down the road a few thousand miles. So if these are the models and floor plans you like, then take the leap of faith and go for it. Again, no matter what you purchase, you are going to have fix stuff, especially if purchasing new.

If you have not done so, then you now need to get off the internet and actually go see those two models in person. Find a dealership that sells them and take a look. If you like them, all is well. But if you are hesitant, you now have a baseline of what you like and don't like in your search for other brands.

Actually stepping inside the camper and looking at it will give you a new perspective. And since you are serious about these two models, spend some time inside them. Don't just step in and step out. Spend some time. Sit at the dinette, lay on the bed, sit on the "royal throne", open the cabinets, doors, windows, look in the refrigerator, and crawl UNDER the camper see what it really looks like under there. Then do the same with the second model.

The colors, the claustrophobic feeling, the texture of the wall, everything will speak to you. This is the stuff you cannot get off the internet.

If you are still truly serious at this point, then have the dealership retract all the slides ... THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT ... because when the slides are in, the camper is a totally different animal. Can you still function with the slides "in". With two small boys, traveling on the road, you are going to want to stop for bathroom breaks, maybe even naps at rest areas, and stopping to prepare lunch on the road. Can you function with everything "IN".... this is very, very important and something that a lot of folks do not consider until after they purchase the camper and then they are clearly disappointed.

Last, consider where the hook-ups are located. How hard is it to reach the dump valves.... you most likely will have 4 holding tanks ... 2 black and 2 grey since you have 2 bathrooms. Where are the sewer hose connections and where are the release valve handles. You may find you'll have to crawl under a slide out to pull one set of them.

Consider where the water hook-up is located. And how outside storage does it have behind those outside hatch doors.

It's more than just a floor plan to consider. The floor plan may fit, but the logistics of everything else may just suck!

But as far as quality ... it's anyone's gamble on ANY of them.

Good luck in your quest.
Great tips thank you!

Yes we have been twice over the past week to look in these floorplans - some of the fixtures are a bit wonky which is what some of the reviews said so just gave me pause that maybe Forest River were known for their lack of attention to detail on finishes etc.

Based on your first point then about anything new going to need a year to figure out all the issues, is the sweet spot then just to get something 12-24 months old would you say? Obviously, one that's had a decent owner of course.

Based on your first point then about anything new going to need a year to figure out all the issues, is the sweet spot then just to get something 12-24 months old would you say? Obviously, one that's had a decent owner of course.
Unless you buy from someone that you know, how would you ever know that the previous owner was "decent?" If you buy used you would do well to get a professional pre-purchase inspector to go over it first. I have owned 4 new and 3 used RVs over the past 40 years and only the first new RV had more than 2 warranty issues. The most recent new RV had 1 warranty reparir. A significant part ot the issue is in the dealership you buy from, whether new or used. Some dealers actually check each unit carefully, making sure that everything is working as it should, while others sell with the least possible serivce time spent on sold units.

I came here just to make this point as well. Unless you are parking it as a hunting shack or something and never plan on moving it again or you're just going on short trips where you really don't care about having your own bathing, cooking and sleeping facilities until you get there, make sure you can access everything while the slides are in. There are some models where you can barely squirm your way to the slide controls and it's impossible to access the kitchen bathroom or bedrooms without sliding the slides out.

There are fifth wheel, bumper pull and regular motorhomes where everything is quite accessible with the slides in, you just have smaller rooms or maybe some cabinets you can't access and can't fold the couch out into a full bed. There's a Jayco bumper pull across the street from me where you can get to all the rooms, my uncle has a Grand Design 5th wheel which also has everything accessible and my aunt has a Damon Intruder class A RV which also has everything accessible.

Just looking at these floor plans with the slides directly opposing each other (instead of in line on one side) I bet you can't get into the main body of the RV without popping the slides out.

Ok so trying to decide between 2022 models that dealers are trying to shift and some 2019 used on RV trader - obviously with the 2019s you get 20-30k off but what newer options will the 2019s be missing?

Thinking solar panels are pretty common now on 2022's - what are some of the recent features that may be worth having?

Just a tip--my son had a Forest River with double bunks in the back. Only problem was that their son soon got to be tall, like 6'1" so they initially had to take the door off to the bunk room and put in a curtain so his legs could stick out. And last year, they bought a new trailer with longer bunks.

The lesson is that boys DO grow, and depending on how tall you parents are, you might want to measure those bunks!! (My son is 6'3" so it could have been even worse.)

Just a tip--my son had a Forest River with double bunks in the back. Only problem was that their son soon got to be tall, like 6'1" so they initially had to take the door off to the bunk room and put in a curtain so his legs could stick out. And last year, they bought a new trailer with longer bunks.

The lesson is that boys DO grow, and depending on how tall you parents are, you might want to measure those bunks!! (My son is 6'3" so it could have been even worse.)
They will likley be 6 feet plus (like me :)) but they are only 18 months and 3 atm so we will be onto a new trailer by the time they are approaching that i'd guess

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom