Best Gas Credit Card

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

threeful

I am looking for a credit card that will give me a good rebate on gas purchases.  With gas/diesel approaching $3/gal a 5% rebate would look nice. I've look on the internet but still not sure what is the best deal in the long run.  There seems to be some intro offers but I am looking past 6 mos. 

Any suggestions??

Thanks

Bill T

Bill,

It's not a credit card, but most RVers have the Flying J courtesy card which gives us a discount on fuel.  When you've got a 100 gallon tank, every little bit helps!  ;)

ArdraF

We get 5% cash back on fuel from our Citi Mastcard up to $300/year.  Our Discover also gives us 1% cash back on all purchases.  I believe Discover also has a special fuel card with 5% cash back.

Citi offers a card with 2% back on gasoline purchases.  Limit of $300 rebate in one year.  That's $15,000 in gas.  Get fuelin'!

My wife and I each have a card, so between the two of us we can get $600 back.  That's $30,000 in gas.  At $3.50/ gallon, that's 8571.43 gallons.  At eight miles to the gallon, that would be 68571 .43 miles of driving.  Happily, that 2% rebate is also for grocery stores, pharmacies, and utility bills.  1% back on other purchases.

American Express Small Business Cash Bonus Card.... 5% on gas purchases, Office Supplies and Cell Phone Service, 1% on everything else.

On the 5% and 2% refunds, has anyone been able to get the credit card companies to give you the exact criteria for the refund?  I have tried until I am blue in the face. For instance, if you purchase your fuel at a convience store you do not get the gas credit. I have yet been able to come up with the refund numbers given by the card companies vs the actual refund in my statements.

The closest I have come was that the credit card company assigns a gas merchant a number and if that number is on their list then you get the refund other wise no. You only get 1%.

Oh ! well!, it beats getting nothing back.

Jerry

Irv, we get 5% cash back on fuel (gas and diesel), groceries, and restaurants, 1% on all other items, up to $300/year, on our Citi Mastercard.  After we hit the $300, we switch to our Discover card and get 1% cash back on everything.  We could get Lorna a Citi Mastercard, but we already have more credit cards than we need.

There are a lot of different credit card programs out there, Discover has a gas card with a higher (3 or 5%) cash back on gas, but either an annual limit or nothing on other purchases.  I was going to switch to it but it was actually less useful than the 1% card that we have.

Jerry, the credit is dependent on how the credit card company has coded the merchant, as you suspect.  If it's not coded as a fuel station, you don't get the fuel rate.

Ned said:
Irv, we get 5% cash back on fuel (gas and diesel), groceries, and restaurants, 1% on all other items, up to $300/year, on our Citi Mastercard.  After we hit the $300, we switch to our Discover card and get 1% cash back on everything.  We could get Lorna a Citi Mastercard, but we already have more credit cards than we need.

There are a lot of different credit card programs out there, Discover has a gas card with a higher (3 or 5%) cash back on gas, but either an annual limit or nothing on other purchases.  I was going to switch to it but it was actually less useful than the 1% card that we have.

Jerry, the credit is dependent on how the credit card company has coded the merchant, as you suspect.  If it's not coded as a fuel station, you don't get the fuel rate.

Ned:

I just received notice from Citi that the dividend was going to drop to 2% and they would add more types of purchases to the group. Called them and invoked the right to maintain the 5% until the cards expire next year and then will have to replace them. ??? ???

Thanks for that info.  We're almost at the $300 max, so it shouldn't affect us this year.  Maybe they'll remove the $300 max?

Ned said:
Thanks for that info.  We're almost at the $300 max, so it shouldn't affect us this year.  Maybe they'll remove the $300 max?

Don't you carry two, one for the second half of the year?

Ned said:
No, we have too many credit cards as it is.

A problem many folks have.  ;)  I experienced this phenomenon with a 5% cash-back American Express that I still carry but hardly use anymore.  Used to use it for EVERYTHING, groceries, gifts, online stuff, gas, you name it, just so I could get more of that 5% back.  Paid it off in full every month, so interest rate was never an issue.  But sometimes I'd look at the bill and think "MAN, how did I spend THAT much in 30 days?"  Then I read about a statistic that says you actually end up spending 15-20% more than normal by using credit cards (since you never really see the amount you're spending until the end of the month) than using actual money.  So even at 5% back you're still 10-15% down.  I found this overspending phenomenon to be true, and now use my Visa checkcard for everything.  I have to subtract every transaction from my checkbook and watch the money disappear... really keeps me in check as far as nickel & dime spending.  And now my bank added a points program, so there's still a reward for using it and no threat of interest or miscellaneous charges that credit cards carry.  ;)

Moral of the story... if there's a discount card you can use for gas (but must pay by other means) then go for it.  I believe the Flying J card is this way... but that doesn't mean the Flying J always has the cheapest gas, so your discount savings might be negated that way.  Gotta take all factors into account!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom