Best in-motion satellite dish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The advantage however is you can watch season 3 of The Bear while searching for extraterrestrial life.
This dish is at the Greenbank observatory near Elkins WV. The observatory is one of the original SETI sites.
This thing is massive. A football field will fit in the dish with room to spare.
Anyone traveling to that area needs to stop and see it.
Forget about using cell phones. The Observatory is in a 13,000 square mile quiet zone covering parts of WV and VA.

This dish is at the Greenbank observatory near Elkins WV. The observatory is one of the original SETI sites.
This thing is massive. A football field will fit in the dish with room to spare.
Anyone traveling to that area needs to stop and see it.
Forget about using cell phones. The Observatory is in a 13,000 square mile quiet zone covering parts of WV and VA.
I read a funny quote a guy was retelling his dad used to say " The chances that an extraterrestrial species capable of traveling at the speed of light are intent on visting earth is about the same as I'd drive from NY to LA to visit an Arby's"

Last edited:
We use Starlink as our Internet Provider...for our homes and RV. As such, we stream ALL of our programming (YouTube TV, Netflix, Brittbox, etc). Trees and limited sky aperture were an issue a couple years ago, but this has ceased being an issue with all the satellites that SpaceX now has in orbit. We use a rear bumper mounted flag pole holder and a telescoping mast for our Starlink dish.

We also stopped using TVs years ago too. We use projectors and screens. For RVs, this approach takes up less space and reduces weight, important for our small trailer. We use a 40 inch screen inside our trailer and a 60 inch screen outside in our Clam Pavillion tent. We use 14 foot screens in our homes.

Since we don't have any cell coverage where we live and where we typically camp, Starlink is by far the best satellite Internet Provider these days.

Gayle & Bob
Los Gatos Casita

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240702-084856_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20240702-084856_Drive.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20240706-081133_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20240706-081133_Drive.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20240706-081206_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20240706-081206_Drive.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20240706-081143_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20240706-081143_Drive.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Trees and limited sky aperture were an issue a couple years ago, but this has ceased being an issue with all the satellites that SpaceX now has in orbit. We use a rear bumper mounted flag pole holder and a telescoping mast for our Starlink dish.
I'm pretty sure I'll end up getting a Starlink sat system to use for our upcoming winter trip of several months. To this point, how well it works with something less than a wide open view of the sky has been the biggest factor in my hesitation to buy.

Reviews I've seen seem to be all over the place in that regard with some saying it's a huge issue, others downplaying it.

You're saying that the lack of a totally clear view of the sky is less of an issue these days what with their expanded system of sats? How bad in terms of obstructions (trees) does it have to be to make the system all but useless?

I'm pretty sure I'll end up getting a Starlink sat system to use for our upcoming winter trip of several months. To this point, how well it works with something less than a wide open view of the sky has been the biggest factor in my hesitation to buy.

Reviews I've seen seem to be all over the place in that regard with some saying it's a huge issue, others downplaying it.

You're saying that the lack of a totally clear view of the sky is less of an issue these days what with their expanded system of sats? How bad in terms of obstructions (trees) does it have to be to make the system all but useless?
If you can get the dish to see any amount of clear sky, it will work for email and texting. Expand this some more and it will stream 4K. Expand this some more and it will do video conferencing without any issues...we did this with the kids while in Yellowstone and our neighbors wanted in as there was no cell coverage in our Yellowstone campground. There are so many satellites now and this is rapidly increasing:

We were able to stream from every place we camped, coast to coast last year during our trailer pickup trip. Campsite photos in our trip writeup if interested. I think maybe the other satellite and cell companies are getting concerned about Starlink.

Gayle & Bob
Los Gatos Casita

If you can get the dish to see any amount of clear sky, it will work for email and texting. Expand this some more and it will stream 4K. Expand this some more and it will do video conferencing without any issues...
That's encouraging. I expect Mr. Musk will be anxiously awaiting my contribution to his empire. :giggle:

Some good friends travelled for years in their Casita. Very cool camper with, as we've seen in numerous parks, quite a large fraternity of users.

That's encouraging. I expect Mr. Musk will be anxiously awaiting my contribution to his empire. :giggle:

Some good friends travelled for years in their Casita. Very cool camper with, as we've seen in numerous parks, quite a large fraternity of users.
No doubt... Elon is an interesting character study for sure. I never met Elon personally, but I consulted with some of his original SpaceX employees several years ago on their F9 flight control system:

Yes, Casita trailers essentially have a cult following... Casita trailers have been made since 1980 and these original trailers are still in use today and likely will be for a long time largely because Casita trailers are constructed of marine grade fiberglass (a single layer shell design that doesn’t trap moisture in a cavity which then shortens the lifetime of most other RVs including other fiberglass RVs), have a strong steel frame (instead of an aluminum frame having a cyclic fatigue failure limited life and subject to galvanic and salted road corrosion failure), are aerodynamic (an Airstream trailer shape but much easier to
economically repair if ever needed), are very lightweight (only 2,480 pound Curb/Empty weight with a 365 pound tongue weight) and are very small (only 17 feet long) making them a dream to tow and do real camping in beautiful locations that many larger RVs can NOT do. Frankly, I think Casita trailers provide the best bang for the buck by far...but you do have to wait a long time to get one and you also have to pick them up in Rice Texas at their factory as they don’t use dealerships.

Our Casita trailer accomplishes our use goal of traveling economically, far, and fast and then comfortably and securely camp in very beautiful and very remote locations far away from people for as long as we desire. We made many modifications to achieve this goal and to also make our trailer cat friendly...hence the name Los Gatos Casita...which is also greatly appreciated by the locals when we camp in Mexico, Guatemala and Costa Rica.

Gayle & Bob
Los Gatos Casita

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nedh
Back
Top Bottom