Best Option for Two Week Family RV Trips from CT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danata

Hi there!

I am a first time RVer and I was hoping to get some tips about two-week route options from CT. We are a family of four (kids are 9 and 12). If it weren't for COVID, we'd fly out west to explore Yellowstone and the surrounding areas, but we are still not comfortable with flying. We then figured we'd rent an RV and drive out west, but that seems like an awfully long trek for such a short amount of time. So, here we sit...weighing other possibilities. Any and all advice would be so appreciated. Thank you!

Skyline Drive & Blue Ridge Parkway, Natchez Trace, Tour West VA., Upper Maine Seashore - Bar Harbor, Boothbay Harbor, Kakamagus Hwy NH, VT Smugglers Notch

Also Go West - 2 weeks is enough time for MI Upper Peninsula & even out to Copper Harbor. Also to Glacier Nat. Park.

Last edited:
Two weeks is only enough time to do the driving with no time left for sight seeing. You could fly to Salt Lake City, rent an RV and spend a lot of time in the western parks.

Skyline Drive & Blue Ridge Parkway, Natchez Trace, Tour West VA., Upper Maine Seashore - Bar Harbor, Boothbay Harbor, Kakamagus Hwy NH, VT Smugglers Notch

Also Go West - 2 weeks is enough time for MI Upper Peninsula & even out to Copper Harbor. Also to Glacier Nat. Park.
Glacier might be a tad far, but all the others would be good, along with the Great Smokies; Williamsburg, VA; Gettysburg and more.

I would plan on New York or Maine.

New York is currently exempt from the CT travel ban, and there’s lots of stuff to do upstate and as far west as Niagara Falls.

Southern Maine has beaches that are kid friendly. Portland has Casco Bay and the islands, with plenty of opportunity for day trips. Farther north is Bar Harbor and Acadia, where you can easily spend a couple of weeks.

I'm a fan of a park more, drive less RV trip. The idea is to experience American up close, not just see it thru a car window. For a 2-week trip, I'd suggest no more than 4 days of driving and the rest camping & sight-seeing. That could get you all around NY & New England, down to PA and Williamsburg VA, maybe to the Great Smokies if you stretch it some.

Try to make a day's driving no more than 300 miles, about 5-6 hours of actual drive time. Arrive at a destination early enough that you can enjoy a pleasant evening and aren't worn out or grouchy from a long day on wheels.

Less driving is good on a rental (presumably Class C) RV since they seem to charge quite a bit per mile after the included few hundred.

Just south of Adirondack state park is the West Canada Creek campground. Nice place and the River to tube & swim in.
Down near Ithica is Pine Creek campground. Watkins Glenn is a reasonable drive and is awesome. I suggest taking the shuttle to the top and walking down - 800 ish steps.

More-
Assateague Nat. Seashore MD, NC Outer Banks & Cape Hatteras, NY State North along Lake Ontario - lot's of State & other campgrounds along the lake.

Google Earth & Google Maps good for initial look see's.

How about Mammoth Caves in Kentucky? The campground there is nice and woodsy and the kids might enjoy the cave. You could also hit the Great Smoky Mountains Natl Park and all the touristy stuff in Gatlinburg, even Dollywood!

You'll find driving much more tiring than normal so I would suggest staying within a 500-600 mile radius of your home. This will allow you to keep your driving hours and days to a minimum and enjoying your surroundings to a maximum. When we travel we plan on 200-250 miles per day. There are times where we know we can reach our destination in one or two days and we extend our mileage to 300-350 but we do no driving for at least a day after traveling that distance. You'll find that there a lot of fun places for families to visit in the PA, VA, upstate NY, NH and ME area. Be sure to make your reservations early or risk not being able to make them at all.

I live in CT. Currently driving home from AZ pulling a 5th wheel and comfortably it's a 6 day trip.. Lot's to do in New England, VT, ME, The Cape, Upstate NY or even the Jersey Shore.. With 2 weeks and the kids I'd explore everything as close to home as possible.. Just Me

Rob, Cape Cod is a great idea. We haven’t been out there in years; we’re way overdue for a visit.

Danata,
One problem with renting an RV, is that it will be unfamiliar. What with the two younguns in tow, everything matters more. You basically have Maine, New York and western PA in range.
If you work it backwards, of your fourteen days, you loose one at each end and if you stretch the drive, over two days each way, you now have eight days on target. You can burn that off real fast. So plan carefully.
Just in passing, for your two weeks a year renting is a real good idea.
Matt

Back
Top Bottom