Best place for info on tow rig.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keith Haw

Hi everyone.
Been a long time sense I've been on here but looks like I'm going to be able to get back into RV'ing more now.
Anyway, I'm picking up a 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 V10 in a couple days and looking for a good place to find info on it and possible upgrades geared towards towing. I'll be using it to tow our 26' Jayco Bunkhouse. Would have preferred a diesel but a friend with a car lot got this in and couldn't pass up the deal he offered me.
Any information y'all can offer would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again
Keith

Thanks for the reply.
That's kind of what I'm finding, and very little when it comes to the V10.
So guess I'll just keep looking, and live and learn
Thanks again
Keith

HMMMM:
I never heard much negative about the V10 Dodge . I know brakes was a bigger problem. They didn't stop and they didn't last. Sounds like plenty of  truck for the job though.

Not sure what you are looking for in terms of towing upgrade info. The V10 has plenty of power - about 310 hp and 455 lb-ft of torque. Transmission and rear axle depend on how the truck was configured, but are likely the same as is used with the diesel (because of the V10's high horsepower and torque).  I doubt if there are any necessary - or even desirable - upgrades at all. Install a quality weight-distributing hitch with integrated sway control and go.

Thanks for the replies.

When I talk about towing upgrades I'm more referring to getting close to the best fuel mileage and power it can while towing, like with a better cold air intake or better exhaust, maybe mild power adders like adjustable programmers. Being retired now I don't need, or want, anything real serious just like it to get down the road ok with a trailer in tow, and up and down the hills when needed. And also things like the braking you brought up GIB, wasn't aware of that but will look into it. I did notice the brake peddle didn't feel real hard but it stops good but, haven't tied a trailer to it yet either.

It is set up for towing and has had a fifth wheel hitch at one time, still has the plug in the bed. And it has a class 3, I think it was, receiver on it with trailer wiring. And it has a Draw-Tite trailer brake setup on it so, someone has been using it for towing already. And we have a weight-distributing hitch setup with the Jayco, just need the receiver to slip it into. Haven't heard about the sway control but will look into that also, thanks.

I'm not very familiar with towing a trailer, unless it's an 18 wheeler, mostly been tooling around with motor homes like my Georgie Boy. But we have this Jayco now we just have to go pick up and I think it might be more convenient to use sometimes.

Thanks again.
Keith

Keith Haw said:
Anyway, I'm picking up a 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 V10 in a couple days and looking for a good place to find info on it and possible upgrades geared towards towing. I'll be using it to tow our 26' Jayco Bunkhouse. Any information y'all can offer would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again
Keith
I had a 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 V10. I think you will find that it will tow your 26' Jayco just fine as is.

The only upgrade I would make is to get an auxiliary gas tank. Fuel mileage is not an area the Dodge V10 excels in.

Mine would get between 12 and 13 MPGs running empty on a good day and I drove it very easy. Pulling a small trailer 5K loaded it would barely get 8 and if there was a little head wind it would drop down to 6.

Get your wallet out because it is going to cost you at today?s gas prices.

Yea, I kind of figured the gas mileage wasn't going to be the best.
That's the one part I'm not looking forward to but, if you wanna play you gotta pay sometimes.  I didn't really think our Ranger would like pulling the trailer around so needed something a little bigger. Just hope we can get about the same mileage the Georgie Boy does pulling a tow'd, around 7 mpg give or take.

Still have the motor home but it's been in storage for a few years and going to need some work to get it back roadworthy.

Keith Haw said:
Hi everyone.
Been a long time sense I've been on here but looks like I'm going to be able to get back into RV'ing more now.
Anyway, I'm picking up a 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 V10 in a couple days and looking for a good place to find info on it and possible upgrades geared towards towing. I'll be using it to tow our 26' Jayco Bunkhouse. Would have preferred a diesel but a friend with a car lot got this in and couldn't pass up the deal he offered me.
Any information y'all can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Trailer Life's tow rating tables back in 1999 showed that Dodge had a tow rating of some 13,500 lbs.  Allowing 10% for age and truck loading beyond a driver and fuel, you should be able to handle a trailer with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of 12150 lbs or less.  Because that V10 is a gas engine, if you would tow out in the Rockies or West, you will need to allow a total of 20% to allow for the alitude effects on such an engine and limit your trailer GVWR to 10,800 lbs.

Do check the bunkhouse's DOT plate (outside wall left side toward the front), but you should be just fine, east or west.

Upgrades?  Why?  Assuming that this is a Travel Trailer, just get a good Class IV or V receiver and a WD hitch with integrated sway control and a trailer brake controller and you should be good to go.  If your tires are over 5 years old, truck or trailer, they will need replacing within a year or two. 

Thanks Carl
Can't check the trailer until I get over to get it but, think we'll be well within the tow limits of the truck. The truck we got is set up for towing, both receiver and fifth wheel. The fifth wheel hitch has been removed but the plug's still there so are the holes where the hitch was mounted. And it's wired at both locations. It has a Draw Tite trailer brake controller on it already, rather have an inertia type brake but I've checked this one out and it will work for now.

The trailer has been sitting for a couple years so it's going to get new tires, bearings repacked and brakes checked/adjusted before we pull it.

Upgrades I was wondering about were more about safety and fuel mileage.  More power is always nice but not really my main concern.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom