Best place to fuse a battery bank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frank B

I have 6 GC-2's in battery bank in series parallel to give me a 12V system. In the event of a catastrophic short in one of the batteries, I want to put fuses in there. My thought is to put one in the series link between each pair of batteries. Right so far?

I do not have a separate buss to which all the batteries are connected.

Now, how big should those fuses be?

Thanks.

All you need is one between the bank and the house feed,, my factory one is 300 amp fuse and I switched out to a resettable breaker of the same value..>>>Dan ( In 55 years of RVing, I have never seen or heard of one battery in a bank failing " catastrophically " )

Last edited:
I have 6 GC-2's in battery bank in series parallel to give me a 12V system. In the event of a catastrophic short in one of the batteries, I want to put fuses in there. My thought is to put one in the series link between each pair of batteries. Right so far?

I do not have a separate buss to which all the batteries are connected.

Now, how big should those fuses be?

Thanks.
The likely hood of that type of failure is extremely rare. I have only seen one case in a small system and that was due to abuse with overcharging and a bad plate assembly. For RV, I would suggest you not bother even though technically it might be correct, an RV is not subject to a plethora of city and electrical codes that an engineered system is. Here is a quick sketch of fuse placement assuming I have your battery setup right..

Attachments

• fused-batteries.pdf
    4.3 KB · Views: 8
Back
Top Bottom