BEST QUALITY FIFTH WHEEL?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

susanjane

We are looking for a new fifthwheel, up to 35-37 feet long.  What brands are known for being most trouble free, understanding that a lemon is always a possibility?  Would appreciate recommendations.  Susan

We have a 36RLTS Cardinal and love it.  The RLTS stands for Rear Living, Triple Slide.  It has dual air conditioners and a Kenmore stacked washer & dryer.  Some may be more expensive and have more dinging bells and flashing lights but I don't think we could have gotten more bang for our bucks.  We broke it down to two brands and bought the Cardinal over a Montana.  JMHO  Good luck in what you buy and have fun.

With a 5ver that large, Maybe you shuld let these guys know what kind of vehicle you plan on towing this with.  Just saying a piclup don't get it.  They need all the facts before recomending something, cause a trailer that size can be dangerous for towing and brakeing if under manned.

It is generally thought that the TETON, Newmar's London Air, and Travel Supreme are about the best 5th wheels made. If you plan to be on cold weather country in the winter, then TETON is the best choice.

We had a  40' '93 Teton with 2 slide outs, and it was sure well made. Never had a bit of trouble with it. We traded it for a 40' Beaver Marquis motorhome, which better suits our needs. If we ever want to go back to a 5th wheel, we'll definately get a Teton again.

see:  http://www.tetonhomes.com/

Chet18013

I'd have to agree with Chet on his top three. Immediately following them re another dozen or so excellent ones:  Holiday Presidential, Mobile Suites, Newmar Kountry Star & Torrey Canyon, New Horizons, Carriage & Carri-lite, to name a few.  And many more really good ones, including the Cardinal mentioned above, top models from Keystone, Sunnybrook, and K-Z.

That's not intended to be the entire list - there are too many brands to name them all. But it should give you a lot to look at.

I am very appreciative of the great suggestions.  We will definitely take our time and check out every one of these suggested, it is alot like comparing apples to oranges from the beginning.  The Cardinal and Teton were definitely on our list to see, appreciate the good words.  We have looked at the Grand Junction and Alfa Gold and thought those might be good choices, but I am not seeing those here.  We live in Texas so we don't always need the extra insulation, but longterm plans include some time in Alaska and more northern states.    By the way, we drive a Ford F250 4x4, diesel with tow package.  If that eliminates any of these choices, I would like to know.  Thank you all for your help, it is greatly needed and James and I will heavily weigh your good opinions as we look.  Susan

You need to be more specific about your tow vehicle's year and configuration and look up its tow capacity in the Ford Towing Guide.  Ford guides for 2002-2008 are available Here

We have at least one happy Alfa owner here - they've owned a couple of them so they must be satisfied. Some owners love them (they are a beautiful rig) while others seem to feel the quality is not what it should be for their price range. Because of that dichotomy I was reluctant to recommend them to others, but I have no personal experience against them.

I'm not enamored of any of the Thor brands, so the Grand Junction and its kin will not show up on my recommended list. Perhaps its prejudice on my part, but too many of the Thor brands are built to provide "value" (read low price) rather than "quality".

RV Roamer said:
I'd have to agree with Chet on his top three. Immediately following them re another dozen or so excellent ones:  Holiday Presidential, Mobile Suites, Newmar Kountry Star & Torrey Canyon, New Horizons, Carriage & Carri-lite, to name a few.  And many more really good ones, including the Cardinal mentioned above, top models from Keystone, Sunnybrook, and K-Z.

That's not intended to be the entire list - there are too many brands to name them all. But it should give you a lot to look at.

How about NuWa's Hitchhiker line?  I've been studying that model for a long time now.  I have heard very few complaints about NuWa quality, reliability or service.  Any other feedback on NuWa would be appreciated, since I'm eyeing that brand myself!

Gary

susanjane said:
.................. We have looked at the Grand Junction and Alfa Gold and thought those might be good choices, but I am not seeing those here.  We live in Texas so we don't always need the extra insulation, but longterm plans include some time in Alaska and more northern states.  .........................
susanjane said:
I would like to gently point out that with extra insulation, your cooling system would be more effective. <smile> And living in Texas, we know HOW important that is!!  :D 
Good luck in your search.

Regards,
Liz

Better insulation and dual pane glass are always valuable, regardless of where you live and vacation. It helps both heating and cooling and also reduces noise considerably. Buy the best wall, ceiling and floor construction (including insulation) you can afford. It's one of the places where more expensive rigs generally shine wehn comared to lower end brands.

Best Quality is not quite specific enough to give you a recommendation.  What I mean is the quality of any product is based on what we want, and want to pay. 

Your choice in 5th wheels should be different if you are going across country full-timing, over parking the unit at a resort location.  Will you be staying nearly all the time in the South?  If so why pay for double glass and winter package insulation?  The best quality aluminum sided unit (perfect for static or limited travel use) may not be as easy to maintain on the road as a fiberglass sided unit, but will cost $6,000 less. 

Items inside the unit like solid cabinet doors and real wood instead of MDS with plastic covering certainly have advantages, but will add up to $10,000 to the cost of a 35 foot trailer. 

As a Quality Assurance professional for a few decades now, I advise compare and learn about the offerings out there.  Remember, YOU the customer ALWAYS sets the level of acceptable Quality.

Johncmr

Back
Top Bottom