Best rear camera ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dusterdoo

Any suggestions for a good rear RV camera ? Where do buy ? Thanks in advance. . . ;)

Sony makes an excellent system - good quality, wide angle (really a fish eye) lens, excellent color dash display. Don't know where to get them aftermarket - have only seem them in OEM installlations.

I have had a couple of different backup monitors and the Sony is the best I have seen. I've had the occasion to drive rigs with the new color monitors and I find I see less detail with them than the Sony B&W. Now I haven't seen all that are out there so there might be others as good as the Sony but I'd use that one as the standard.

We have an Audiovox, original equipment but replaced both camera and monitor 2 years ago.  The monitor is B&W but gives a clear image, and the new camera is a wider angle view and we like it much better than the original.  I don't see the need for color in a rear vision monitor.

A Google search on rv rear vision camera will return several sources.  Prices range from ~$200 to over $1500.

Ned,

I agree there's no need for color. In fact, I'll bet the color monitors wash out at night. The Sony is so clear that it looks like daytime! That's just from the tailights!! I can also see much better from the camera in a rainstorm than  I can in the mirrors.

RVcameras.com actually reccommend B+W rearview cameras, (though they are cheaper) because they wash out in sunlight, as well as at night. Rankjo

You could do a search of ebay.

How about a wire-free camera system - HERE

There are loads of VERY low cost camera systems on there.

I know a lot of RVers in the UK are using them without problems.

Paul

I don't know how good it is, but Wal Mart and Target have a licence plate mount wireless camera and about 2 1/2 by 4 display for under $100.  (The video is wireless, the camera is powered off the back up lights, and the display the accessory source).  Has someone out there tried it yet?
Art

King said:
I don't know how good it is, but Wal Mart and Target have a licence plate mount wireless camera and about 2 1/2 by 4 display for under $100.  (The video is wireless, the camera is powered off the back up lights, and the display the accessory source).  Has someone out there tried it yet?
Art

I tried it.  I hooked up the camera to the running lights on the back of our 28 ft travel trailer (so it could be on whenever we wanted - it is intended to be powered by the backup-lights on the vehicle).  First, I tested it by lining up the SUV and trailer and powering the camera from a separate battery and the monitor from the dash 12V outlet.  Everything looked great.  So I completed the install.
On the only trip since installation, we got nothing but static while underway.  I don't know if it is interference from engine electrical, or what, but I hoped for better.  I have not had a chance to play with it some more since then, but I'm not encouraged.

I suppose it is intended for cars, 15 or 16 ft long, maybe 28 ft is beyond it's radio range.  too bad.
Art

I have the model you are talking about.  I believe its called the V3.  Its got a 2.5 inch flat screen color monitor.  I cut off the mounting bracket to it and made a plexiglass housing for it and velcroed it to the bakc of my 27 foot MH.  I really like it.  I wide angle is not very wide but I can see the width of the lane at about 6 feet behind the bumper. It works just fine for the $89 I payed for it from Costco.  Very little interference if none.  I also bought one for the fire department I work for for a engine we  have that if very difficult to back into the station bay due to you looking into the sun.  It worked great till you started the engine.  There was to much interference to use it.  A interesting note is when you turn off the camera the monitor stays on for a minute with no signal.  I have picked up several security cameras in shopping mall with the same frequency of my system even one dentist office.  Cheap entertainment.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom