Best route, Illinois to Nova Scotia thru Maine - MH+toad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rolin

We are planning to go from Illinois to Nova Scotia going though Maine. I am not experienced with using toll roads. We will be driving a 26ft class c pulling a toad. I understand you need a transponder in both the Motorhome and Toad. There is the I-Pass and the E-Zpass that work through multiple states. Which is best if you are out of state...we don't reside in Illinois.

Is it worth the extra gas to find ways around the toll roads? Pop up into Canada and go through Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick to Nova Scotia. I know that fuel is more expensive in Canada but would avoiding the tolls and the currency conversion make that the best option?

Just looking for the most cost efficient (and at my age the easiest) travel route. So many possibilities its making my brain tired.

Anyone have experience or suggestions traveling through the Northeast with Motorhome and Toad?
Rolin

When attached your towed doesn't need a transponder, if fact if it has one it must be wrapped in aluminum foil to prevent it from over-charging you. The toll system recognizes the number of axles. DO NOT sign up for the truck pass.
Illinois has the best plan IMO, and it works throughout the NE.

Ray-IN,
Thank you for that information. Makes it easier and takes a load off my mind.
I will get a transponder from Illinois.

If you have traveled across the Northeast on the toll roads, do you have any favorite places to overnight?
Rolin

We just arrived home from Florida, via a stop in Ottawa. The most expensive gas in the US was in upstate NY where we paid $4.89 a gallon. The 3 fill ups from Ottawa were all at Costco Warehouses and all 3 were at $1.96 per Liter. Doing the math our gas was about $5.96 US dollars.
As for the driving, the route from Ontario to Nova Scotia is all 4 lane divided with only a couple of small areas requiring tolls. However, the US route predominantly uses I90 which has heavy tolls.
Both routes offer plenty of touristy things and gorgeous scenery. Another but, a bit of a diversion through the Gaspe Peninsula in Quebec. Do a search of previous posts as there are several from the Forum who, including me, who have posted reports.
All that to say, there is not a huge difference in gas costs, but you will find campsites cost more in Canada, some food items are more expensive, and liquor & tobacco cost a lot more.
Ed

If you get the NY ez-pass then your class "C" will be charged a lower rate in NY
from PA to Albany in your class "C" the NY ez pass rate is $62.35. With an out of state EZ pass it is about $72.00.
However you can avoid almost all the tolls in NY by taking Interstate 86 just north of Erie, PA to Interstate 81 north in Binghamton, NY then 81 north probably five miles or less to Interstate 88 to Albany. It is just about a 20 mile each way detour to the Baseball hall of fame in Cooperstown off of I 88

Hi Darsben,
Thanks for the input. It would be nice to skip by some tolls.
Rolin

We travelled I88 in April and it was awful. Lots of construction and lots that needed reconstruction. Worst road of the last 1000 miles going east this spring. I won’t travel it again for several years at least.

Depending on where in Illinois you are starting, you can avoid most of the tolls pretty easy. I-74 east from Champaign area to Indianapolis then north on I-69 towards Ft Wayne - At Merkle, IN, take US 225 to Van Wert, and pick up US-30 Eastbound to Mansfield, OH. There you can connect to I-71 Northbound. Then take 271 to by-pass Cleveland City area and connect to I-90.
Then the only toll to reckon with is I-90 NY state throughway, which Darsden already covered.
We've run that route a number of times. There probably still some construction, through Cleveland on 271, but pay attention to the signs and take your time, it is good.

We travelled I88 in April and it was awful. Lots of construction and lots that needed reconstruction. Worst road of the last 1000 miles going east this spring. I won’t travel it again for several years at least.
This is the truth. We traveled this road in early April, by far the worst road on our 3 month trip, particularly bad heading east. They were starting to tear up sections, presumably to make it safer so there will be lots of construction along the route. I'd rather pay the tolls on the Thruway.

Taking interstates through NY, Mass and up through Maine is not real fun but if you want to get there fast then that's the way to go. If you can build a few more days into your schedule you could head a bit north in NY (I81) , see the Thousand Islands and then head east through the Adirondacks, take RT 2 east through Vermont, NH all the way to Bangor Maine. Nice 2 lane Hwy and not stressful, plenty of places to stop. Cross the border in Calais Maine and head to eastern Nova Scotia, or take a ferry across the Bay of Fundy down to southwestern NS.

I believe they've reinstated the high speed ferry from Portland Me to Yarmouth NS. It was always pricey but with gas prices now, might be worth checking out, don't know.
Good luck and come back with a trip report.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom