Best state/region to purchase a Class A

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kplender

I am looking to purchase a 32-38 ft. Class A Motorhome with at least 1 slide.  I am in Denver, Colorado.  I have visited all of the RV dealers in the area and have looked over all the used inventory.  I have also looked thru the local newspaper and looked at various private party sales as well.  But, after looking at inventories online from dealers in TX, FL, GA, etc.  I  believe that the prices here in Denver are inflated.  It seems that I can get a comparable motorhome elsewhere for anywhere from 5000-10000 less.  Question:  Is there a specific state/region that is typically the best area to shop for a used motorhome?  I have been told to avoid Arizona as those motorhomes tend to have been lived in full time (is there any credibility to this statement?).  I found a couple at a consignment dealership in Houston, TX that they would be asking at least 10000.00 more for here in Denver area.  A one way plane ride would only cost me $90.00.  Thanks in advance for your thoughts/advice.

Almost everything costs more in Colorado.

We searched the internet before buying our Winnebago and picking it up in Seattle.

Just curious, what would be wrong with a unit that had been lived in full-time? I would think that it would have been better taken care of than a vacation RV.

I guess the thinking on buying a full-time lived in motorhome, is that the refrigerator, air conditioners, possibly furnace (basically all the systems) have been operating for many more hours than a motorhome that is used for weekends and vacations.  Also, the wear and tear on mattresses, chairs/couches (upholstery), carpet, etc. would be more as well.  Am I off base here?  Thanks in advance!!

Appliances (and engines, generators, etc) tend to last longer when used regularly, and deteriate when idle.  Furniture and carpets can be replaced.

kplender said:
Question:? Is there a specific state/region that is typically the best area to shop for a used motorhome?? I have been told to avoid Arizona as those motorhomes tend to have been lived in full time (is there any credibility to this statement?).?

This statement sounds like one you might get from a salesman who has no full time rigs available.? :) I agree with Ned and Wendy that full time motorhomes might also be considered .? When you LIVE in an RV you simply cannot ignore the problems.? You have to have them fixed otherwise you can't move, cool your food, heat our space on and on.? When in Yuma, Arizona at the end of the season, say March or April there are many discounted deals going on as? folks want to? go North for the summer and maybe are giving up the RV or getting a bigger one or downsizing to a smaller one.? Many scenarios out there.? Best to check out each? as an individual rig. Enjoy the hunt!
Betty

I'd ignore full time versus vacation time and just concentrate on things like condition, maintenance records, etc.  Some full time rigs may be worn, but many are not, so just look around.  When looking at used rigs, don't let a worn longe chair  turn you off - they are easy to replace or recover. For that matter, so are he driver and co-pilot chairs.

There are no moving parts in a gas-absorption fridge, so there is no wear factor like on a residential fridge. Its not much of  a factor on water heaters either. Maybe a little on furnaces, but furnaces don't get used much casue most folks head for warmer weather.  Wear might be consideration for an a/c unit, but its not a big deal unless perhaps  you are looking at fairly old rigs.

And as others have said, sitting around idle is definitely not good for most systems. That is especially true of generators, engine & transmissions, tires, and air conditioners.

Back
Top Bottom