Best way to get to Joint Base Andrews, Maryland coming from Massachusetts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Effy

This is our first time traveling with a 5th wheel and looking for advice on the best way to travel to Joint Base Andrews which is close to Forestville, MD. Would prefer to go Tapanzee Bridge but not sure if there are any restrictions. We are towing a 35’ 5th wheel. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

It is a lot longer, I was just concerned about going over the GW Bridge towing our 5th wheel. Any recommendations?

Never crossed it myself. I just read the above thread, but it's old.

Hope someone chimes in.

Have you poked on google maps for roads around New York City?

Tappan Zee (Cuomo) bridge to I-287 to the Jersey Turnpike. From there, I prefer to use I-195 to I-295 south and bypass most of the turnpike. Follow I-295 over the Delaware Memorial Bridge.

Take the second exit after the bridge onto Route 13 south, to Delaware Route 1 south, to Route 301 south. The construction on 301 is complete and it’s now limited access highway. Follow 301 all the way to Maryland, to Route 4.

Don’t take the GW bridge. Traffic is awful all the time.
The Tappen Zee is the right answer if going down I95. For me, I try to avoid I95 and the Jersey Tpk. Bashing through NY, NJ, Philly, just to get to the DC beltway. Yuk. Yes, it is shortest but with traffic often takes longest.
I go Mass Pike to I84 all the way to Scranton, then i81 to Hagerstown and I70 & I270 down to the beltway. Joint Base Andrews is then halfway around.

Route 81 makes no sense at all. It's 100 miles longer and you need to take the beltway around DC.

I-295 to Route 301 bypasses NYC, Philly, Baltimore and DC, and doesn't have Pennsylvania hills.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom