Best way to learn guitar for beginners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My current favorite guitarist is Joe Satriani. He spreads his fingers so far it looks like he had them  surgically redesigned or he comes from a different planet. ???

Well I was practicing guitar today and I decided to try Russ's suggestion. I failed miserably so I made a quick and dirty clip to show just how little my fingers can stretch. I can put my pinky on the 10th fret and make it an E7. I can barely get it on the 11th fret but it doesn't sound right and I can make it to the 12th fret just barely but then my middle finger is pressing down on the low E string. I haven't played it in years so I am rather sloppy and I did not spend a lot of time trying to dial in the tone. Notice on my fretting hand I have a rather large bump on the knuckle of the ring finger. I don't know where it came from but my guess is from playing China Grove too many times. Don't laugh too hard.

https://youtu.be/c08Ws9f_DCY

https://www.amazon.com/Caramel-Electric-Ukulele-Professional-Beginner/dp/B07R2KHSMH/ref=sr_1_12?keywords=tenor+ukulele+with+tuner+built+in&qid=1571577334&s=musical-instruments&sr=1-12

Then after you have been playing the ukulele for a year and have built up some finger strength you can buy a]

Can you get ukuleles with auto tuners?  I am so glad you posted this. I want to get one. Have tried for years to learn guitar and you are right...hurts too bad for me to commit!

Peggyy said:
https://www.amazon.com/Caramel-Electric-Ukulele-Professional-Beginner/dp/B07R2KHSMH/ref=sr_1_12?keywords=tenor+ukulele+with+tuner+built+in&qid=1571577334&s=musical-instruments&sr=1-12

Then after you have been playing the ukulele for a year and have built up some finger strength you can buy a
Can you get ukuleles with auto tuners?  I am so glad you posted this. I want to get one. Have tried for years to learn guitar and you are right...hurts too bad for me to commit!
The uke in this message has a built in tuner. Yes there are lots of ukes with tuners built in. Do a search at Amazon for 'tenor ukulele with electronics' and pick the one you like the best and fits your budget. You have to be careful when looking at Amazon search results because there will be sponsored results might not have a tuner.

[quote author=Peggyy]Can you get ukuleles with auto tuners?[/quote]

I assume you know this from playing guitar ... they're not 'auto tuners'; They merely tell you if the string you're plucking is tuned too high or too low, and you make the adjustment manually, just as you would with a clip-on tuner. A few of my instruments have built-in tuners, but I still use the same clip-on tuner with them all.

Be aware that you're paying extra for the electronics that go with a built-in tuner, and they usually have a pre-amplifier in the same set of electronics. Unless you need to amplify the sound via an external amplifier, the electronics is unnecessary additional cost. OTOH a good clip-on tuner  costs a few $$, so if you only plan to own one instrument, it's almost a wash.

Actually they do make auto tuned guitars and auto tuners.

https://www.amazon.com/Automatic-Acoustic-Auto-Tuner-Professional-Rechargeable/dp/B07G8J1XQ3/ref=asc_df_B07G8J1XQ3/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312255370219&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7519124432980261440&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9012421&hvtargid=pla-571053422878&psc=1

https://reverb.com/p/peavey-at-200-auto-tune-self-tuning-electric-guitar-candy-apple-red?gclid=Cj0KCQjwl8XtBRDAARIsAKfwtxC4xHBUSzP4FeOo8D3PIm6VhwRWkakrLq7wKgPESwLnVire0AmfgLkaAjr4EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&hfid=28434158&merchant_id=142226705&utm_campaign=6481185772&utm_medium=pla&utm_source=google

I don't see the need to amplify a ukulele for personal or family use. Someone playing a gig might need it, but a number of pro performers prefer to use a stand-mounted mic'. We amplify only the solo mic's in the band when we're performing in a show.

On a personal note, a few of my instruments have built-in pre-amps/tuners, and one has an add-on (adhesive/magnetic) pickup. But my strumming style is such that I hit the top of the uke at the end of a (down) strum, and that gets picked up and amplified, so I've rarely used amplification.

I have asked for one for my birthday in november.  Or maybe for Christmas!  I like the one on Amazon. May get that one.  It would be great to take along camping.  To play inside the camper so I am not distubing the peace of course.  I took violin lessons a few years back and the practicing was painful to the ears.  Just ask my hubby.  Lol  i finally gave it up. 

Peggyy said:
I have asked for one for my birthday in november.  Or maybe for Christmas!  I like the one on Amazon. May get that one.  It would be great to take along camping.  To play inside the camper so I am not distubing the peace of course.  I took violin lessons a few years back and the practicing was painful to the ears.  Just ask my hubby.  Lol  i finally gave it up.
Trust me, the ukulele is 100 times easier than the violin. You live 30 miles from me and if you want you can come by and get free lessons. Bring your hubby if you would be nervous. You also live ten miles from the Winter Park Public Library where we hold our meetups on the second Saturday of each month. You can come by and watch us if you don't have a uke and some one will lend you one or if you buy one bring it and we can get you started. The first Saturday in December we always participate in the Winter Park Christmas Parade.

https://www.meetup.com/Winter-Park-Ukulele-Meetup/

https://youtu.be/BBTYA7-0byU

On another personal note ... I've seen so many folks buy an inexpensive ukulele partly because "it looks nice", only to later find out that it was a mistake. I've even had someone buy a ukulele in Hawaii and bring it home as a gift for me, saying "I liked the look of it", but it turned out to be a piece of junk. IMHO aesthetics should not be one of the main/first criteria for buying an instrument. This doesn't mean that good looks are bad, or that some entry level instruments shouldn't be purchased. But you get what you pay for.

Meanwhile, an offer of free hands-on lessons can't be beat, and playing with other uke players will enhance the experience and help improve individual playing. Newcomers to our band go through individual beginner classes with our Music Director, then when I welcome them to the main band I tell them that further learning will occur at our weekly practices.

SeilerBird said:
Trust me, the ukulele is 100 times easier than the violin. You live 30 miles from me and if you want you can come by and get free lessons. Bring your hubby if you would be nervous. You also live ten miles from the Winter Park Public Library where we hold our meetups on the second Saturday of each month. You can come by and watch us

Thats a very generous offer! Thank you!  I might just take you up on that sometime!

Peggyy said:
Looks like they come in different sizes and tenor or soorano.  Which is best for a beginner?
There are four basic sizes for ukuleles. Soprano, concert, tenor and baritone. Soprano is a very small uke that is what comes to mind when people think of ukuleles. Concert is slightly larger, tenor larger yet and baritone even larger. A baritone is actually a small guitar and not a uke as it is tuned like a guitar and not a uke. The proper size for you is the one that fits your hands the best. For most adults that would be a tenor. Best bet is to visit a Sam Ash or a Guitar Center in Orlando. Both have a collection of ukes on display and there is no problem playing any of them. A photo is worth a thousand words so here is a good photo.

Attachments

• Ukulele sizes.jpg
    Ukulele sizes.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 6
My daughter found a teacher on upwork, it's cheaper and she stays home, she likes his lessons!

I, too, am interested in learning how to play guitar. I was considering buying Rocksmith to see if I can play it on my Surface Pro. Then I can learn anywhere in a fun way.

Rocksmith is a video game similar to Guitar Hero, but it uses any real guitar with a 1/4" audio jack. Supposedly, it adjusts to your skill level to improve how you play overall.

cerd said:
I, too, am interested in learning how to play guitar. I was considering buying Rocksmith to see if I can play it on my Surface Pro. Then I can learn anywhere in a fun way.

Rocksmith is a video game similar to Guitar Hero, but it uses any real guitar with a 1/4" audio jack. Supposedly, it adjusts to your skill level to improve how you play overall.
Go for it. Sounds like a blast. I have Rock Band Beatles and it is fantastic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom