Best Way To Siphon Gas From My 2019 E450 Class C?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NCSU Dad

I'm just thinking ahead. I saw my first gas station today that was out of gasoline here. I'd like to tap the 55 gallon tank in my RV if a shortage occurs.

I have an electric fuel pump teed into the supply line going to my generator, mounted on the generator enclosure with a safety covered switch and a 3 foot length of hose on it.
I mostly use it for filling gas cans for mowers but also to transfer larger quantities to my boat.

Was this a major gas station or private and not well run? i.e. are they in financial trouble or was there a real shortage? This is the first I have heard of a shortage.

Many options for powered and manual transfer pumps... HF, Amazon etc.

I still do the old school suck a hose method.

Thanks for the replies. I did a Google search and found ideas on disconnecting the fuel line and using the fuel pump to pump fuel. Also draining the tank via a drain plug located on the bottom of the tank.

Thanks for the replies. I did a Google search and found ideas on disconnecting the fuel line and using the fuel pump to pump fuel. Also draining the tank via a drain plug located on the bottom of the tank.
I personally wouldn't listen to Google, in this case. Why would you like to do it the hard way? Siphoning (assisted or not) is the way to go, IMO.

I personally wouldn't listen to Google, in this case. Why would you like to do it the hard way? Siphoning (assisted or not) is the way to go, IMO.
When he removes the drain plug in the tank bottom, the first thing he'll get is the dregs off the tank bottom. I've heard trying to replace the plug while fuel is running out is not pleasant either.

I didn't know if there were any devices installed in the fill pipe going into the tank to eliminate gasoline theft from siphoning. I've order a siphon hose that has a primer bulb to get the fuel flow started. Ex-Calif I'm at the age where getting a mouthful of gas from a siphon hose sounds like a bad idea. Heck I even put safety glasses on weed whacking the yard now.

Siphoning gas through a hose is no big deal. Just go to Lowes and pick up a length of 3/8” ID clear poly hose about 10’ long. Stick one end all the way down in the tank. Suck on the hose until you see it in the clear hose so that it’s a foot from your mouth then stop. Keep your tongue plugging the hole till you get it out of your mouth far enough so that you can put a finger over the hole to stop the fuel from running back to the tank. Bring that end of the hose down to a gas can and quickly stick it in the can. Easy-peezy.

Siphoning gas through a hose is no big deal. Just go to Lowes and pick up a length of 3/8” ID clear poly hose about 10’ long. Stick one end all the way down in the tank. Suck on the hose until you see it in the clear hose so that it’s a foot from your mouth then stop. Keep your tongue plugging the hole till you get it out of your mouth far enough so that you can put a finger over the hole to stop the fuel from running back to the tank. Bring that end of the hose down to a gas can and quickly stick it in the can. Easy-peezy.
Run the hose to the bottom of the tank, From the fill neck run a loop to the ground. Run the tail above the level in the tank.

Suck till you fill the loop. The level should equalize in the hose at the tank level.

Then thumb over the end and drop it in the catch vessel and the gas should start flowing.

Sometimes I'll suck some gas but the good news is I get great gas mileage and low emissions even though my wife may not agree...

The few times I have needed fuel from the MH tank I used the electric fuel pump from the generator. I just disconnect the fuel line, place it into a container and use the prime feature on the generator power button. I could and have thought about connecting another line and pumping it directly into another vehicle tank but have not had the need to do that yet. I assume that would work without a problem. There may be a timer on the prime feature and I would worry about over working the electric generator fuel pump but all that should be fine. Maybe some day I will find out.

I have a drill mounted pump that is made for gas and oil. I drained a 55 gallon drum of oil in 15 minutes, and 16 gallons of gas from my VW van in about 10 minutes. With gas you have to stop every few minutes to cool off the pump. Can't remember which auto parts store I bought it from. Might have been Amazon.

So, how do you defeat the anti-siphon/rollover valve that's been installed in all fuel tanks for the past several decades?

The few times I have needed fuel from the MH tank I used the electric fuel pump from the generator. I just disconnect the fuel line, place it into a container and use the prime feature on the generator power button. I could and have thought about connecting another line and pumping it directly into another vehicle tank but have not had the need to do that yet. I assume that would work without a problem. There may be a timer on the prime feature and I would worry about over working the electric generator fuel pump but all that should be fine. Maybe some day I will find out.
I wouldn't be concerned about over working the generator fuel pump. It runs all the time when the generator is running. We've run our onboard generator 24/7 for up to 5 days at times with no problems.

I wouldn't be concerned about over working the generator fuel pump. It runs all the time when the generator is running. We've run our onboard generator 24/7 for up to 5 days at times with no problems.
I have run mine for several days non-stop with shutdowns only to check vitals. I thought the pump cycles on pressure while running normally. While acting as a transfer pump, it will not cycle and run full time or at least that's what my thinking is.

Last edited:
I just removed my fuel filter which I have a in line filter and pumped it from there. while you wait a little longer safety first.

I have run mine for several days non-stop with shutdowns only to check vitals. I thought the pump cycles on pressure while running normally. While acting as a transfer pump, it will not cycle and run full time or at least that's what my thinking is.
The fuel pump on a carburetor equipped gas generator only puts out about 4-5 PSI and is not equipped with a pressure switch, so it runs constantly. The same fuel pump used in the older Marquis 7000 generators for example, was also made and sold by Carter as a fuel transfer pump.

Interesting. In that case I guess no problem using it as a transfer pump. Good to know. It makes sense as it has never shut off in the prime mode but I assumed the prime mode bypassed the pressure switch.

I didn't know if there were any devices installed in the fill pipe going into the tank to eliminate gasoline theft from siphoning. I've order a siphon hose that has a primer bulb to get the fuel flow started. Ex-Calif I'm at the age where getting a mouthful of gas from a siphon hose sounds like a bad idea. Heck I even put safety glasses on weed whacking the yard now.
I spoke with a 30 year Ford Service tech who informed me that the filler tube has a check valve in it to prevent gas leaks in a tip over, for safety. He uses a fuel hose hooked up to the test port shrader valve under the hood. I'm testing that next and the generator fuel line as #2 option.

Back
Top Bottom