Better Duct Tape?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve CDN

The windshield on our coach cracked when the leveling jacks were lowered.  As a safety measure for the trip back to a service center, I applied what I though was pretty good quality duct tape to the cracks inside and outside the windshield, as well as around the gasket and body to cover the opening caused by the window gasket separation.

After driving about fifty miles, on a hot sunny day, much of the duct tape had separated from its backing, leaving a sticky mixture of adhesive and mesh from the backing on the coach and the tape backing flying in the wind.

Are there different kinds of duct tape, that would not separate?  I always carried duct tape in the coach for such an eventuality, but this stuff did not do the job?

Where can I get superior duct tape that will still release?

I have a roll of what they call 100 or 500 MPH aluminum tape that works very well.  Had Hail damage to one of the AC covers once that I repaired Temporarily with the 500MPH tape.  When the cover was replaced the tape was all that was holding one of the fastener holes to the rest of the cover.  Even regular aluminum duct tape would be better than the cloth type.

Ron,

I have some aluminum type duct tape I use for various applications like aluminum ducts because this stuff really sticks and is not affected by heat.  Is this what is referred to as 100 mph tape?  If it is, it n-e-v-e-r comes off....so I wonder about its usefulness on a painted surface?

Steve

>>Are there different kinds of duct tape, that would not separate? <<

I would try 3M...all their products are usually superior although more costly.

Terry
At Clark Fork, ID

The aluminum duct tape you get at the hardware store is not the same, although would be better than the cloth duct tape.  100/500 MPH tape has a much stronger adhesive.  I don't think I would use it on painted surfaces.

Never though I would be closely examining the differences in quality of duct tape, but I see now that if one is going to carry a supply (recommended) as part of the basic repair necessities in a n RV, the quality of the duct tape should be considered when buying,

Duct Tape is like a parachute..it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

The military uses a lot of "100 mph tape" and it is available in many government surplus outlets. A Google search on 100 mph tape will turn up numerous sources.  This stuff really sticks and will last for years in all kinds of weather.

Another  alternative is to use Eternabond roofing tape, available in many RV stores as "RV Roof Repair tape" or from hardware stores as a mobile home roof repair kit. It is also available online.  While it is called Eternabond and normally will stick forever, it can also be removed solvents like Goo-Gone or even kerosene.

Duct tape, originally called DUCK tape (Cause it sheds water like a duck) is recommended... One of the things it is very clearly NOT recommended for is..... Get this.... Ducts (Heating type ducts) because thought it is resistant to water,, Heat will nail it every time

John In Detroit said:
Duct tape, originally called DUCK tape (Cause it sheds water like a duck)

Originally called DUCT tape because is was used to seal the joints of heating ducts.

Phil

I hate to disagree Phil, but the tape WAS originally called Duck Tape based on the name of the company that invented it. I believe the company is located in upstate NY or Conn. They are still in business and manufacture a variety of tapes for different uses, including the type that is used to seal heating duct joints.
One of the main ones is the heat activated tape that is used to bind the spines of hardbound books together before the cover is put on.

Woody

Woody said:
I hate to disagree Phil, but the tape WAS originally called Duck Tape based on the name of the company that invented it. I believe the company is located in upstate NY or Conn. They are still in business and manufacture a variety of tapes for different uses, including the type that is used to seal heating duct joints.
One of the main ones is the heat activated tape that is used to bind the spines of hardbound books together before the cover is put on.

Woody

Oh Yes You can even join the duck tape club here          http://www.ducktapeclub.com/tales/history_through.asp

Woody said:
I hate to disagree Phil, but the tape WAS originally called Duck Tape based on the name of the company that invented it.

It's OK.  Lots of people disagree with me.  :)

3M invented it back in the late 20's.  In 1942, Johnson and Johnson got a military contract to supply the troops with a water resistant tape.  That's when it got the name duck tape.  There have been many versions since the original 3M version.

Phil

According to the history on the ducktapeclub web site, after the war (WW II) the tape was used for sealing ducts and was called duct tape.  It wasn't until 30 years later the name was changed to Duck tape.  Of course, you can still buy duct tape and Duck tape :)  Duct tape is generic, Duck tape is a brand.

Phil said:
It's OK.? Lots of people disagree with me.? :)

3M invented it back in the late 20's.? In 1942, Johnson and Johnson got a military contract to supply the troops with a water resistant tape.? That's when it got the name duck tape.? There have been many versions since the original 3M version.

Phil

I'm inclined to agree with you Phil. ?As I understand it the tape invented by 3M in the 20/s was indeed called Duct tape in line with its intended purpose. The tape provided to the military per the contract you mentioned looked and felt similar to the 3M product but was called duck tape since its intended purpose was to be used in damp places. ?I don't know if the name duck tape came from the manufacturer or if it was a name given the tape by military personnel. ?Duck tape was not intended for use on heating ducts while duct tape was.

I remember when ?either just before or not too long after I became teenager I referred to all Gray 2 inch wide tape as duck tape. Guess that is they way it sounded to me like people called it. ? I think it was one of my uncles that explained the difference all those years ago. ?As I recall he told me only duct tape could be found in the local stores.

Phil's explanation sounds right according to what I remember.

Go to any shop that sells equipment for automobiles (preferably a race shop) and ask for racer's (or racing) tape. Comes in many colors and will hold tightly under the most severe conditions of wind, rain, heat or cold, and gasoline or oil. Relatively easy to remove with normal solvents.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom