Beware! Inmotion Internet and Camping World

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tscook

While workamping here in TX, I ran into an rv'er who had just purchased a "mobile high speed internet" system through Camping World at the bargain price of $2000. They were very upset at the lack of speed. Upon closer inspection, I found the speed limited to 75kbps and that it's based upon the G3 cellular tower system.  They were sold an antenna, a signal converter and a NetGear router for $2000! A $50 card from Verizon would have done the same job and not required a generator to be in operation while mobile, nor holes drilled in the roof. I operate the Verizon G3 card when not in a wifi campground and it's faster than the $2000 system Camping World is selling. Verizon is looking to increase speeds up to 2mps this year, the inmotioninternet company hopes for 1mps this quarter. All I can say is be very careful of what Camping World offers for inmotion internet. It's not a bargain at all, especially if you're thinking it's a satellite system as these people did. They're going to return their bargain and patch holes.  :'(

Yes, InMotion is a cellular-based system. Speeds can be 1 mbps or more in EVDO areas (180+ metro areas) but will generally be 144 kbps or less in other digital areas.  And won't work at all in many rural places.  For $2000 you get a wireless access point/router, an external antenna and an amplifier, which is maybe $400 worth of gear (plus installation), so it is indeed quite high priced.

I've seen those systems at various RV shows and soon came to the conclusion they were merely an overpriced cellular option.

I'm sure Ron R is going to run right down to Camping World and buy one. ;D ;D ;D

Jeff /Washington said:
I'm sure Ron R is going to run right down to Camping World and buy one. ;D ;D ;D

Gee why not get two.  ;D ;D  I think we will just stick with the DW dish that we have been using for the last four years or so.

There are one and 1/2 "in motion" internet systems I've seen which offer true speed.

(The 1/2 is high speed download only, cellular upload)

The problem is,, The fully Hughs based system is not yet approved at all, and the Hughs down/Cell up is not, far as I know, approved in the US (though it is in use overseas on trains)

RaySat

I'm supposed to be E-mailed if the above changes (however it's up to them to E-mail)  There are advantages to a full In-Motion system.. I mean, I like to listen to radio some times and www.live365.com has a bunch of radio stations, including a bunch I love to listen to (WARNING: POP UP ADS, if you are not a subscriber they have pop up ads all over the place and your pop up stopper may not stop them. in addition the popups carry spyware and the like, If you are a subscriber (I AM) no such ads or spyware)

You can google RaySat for more info on it if interested, however the antenna system is very high priced, and stil not approved in the US.  Direcway is, at this time, a much better deal

I suspect cellular high speed may "Come of age" before RaySat wins approvial for their in-motion system

Back
Top Bottom