BIG Lake-Boats on Lake Superior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JerArdra

All,

I grew up in Detroit and sailed around the Great Lakes in my Fathers a 30' sailboat so I have always had a soft spot in my heart for the BIG Lake Boat ore carriers that traveled the Great Lakes, especially the Edmond B. FitzGerald.  The last picture shows blue water over the ship.

Attached are five really good photos of a big ore carrier in the rough waters of Lake Superior.  Many a Captain has said that Lake Superior is at times worse that the Ocean.  By the way, I know that a boat is something carried on a ship but still, we called 'em Lake Boats.

JerryF

Attachments

• Superior-1.jpg
    Superior-1.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 87
  • Superior-2.jpg
    Superior-2.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 62
  • Superior-3.jpg
    Superior-3.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 62
  • Superior-4.jpg
    Superior-4.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 56
  • Superior-5.jpg
    Superior-5.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 70
Some serious water. Thanks for the photos Jerry.

The Great Lakes are often more treacherous than the oceans due to the short period, steep waves.  And the waves can build very quickly with very little warning.

Wow, Jerry!  Great photos.  Speaking of big boats ....  ;)

I know you and Ardra and Tom and Chris have both spent years in the SF Bay area.  Did you happen to read recently that the huge ocean liner from England (brain block:  can't remember if it's the Queen Mary or the Queen Elizabeth) docked overnight at Pier 29 on San Francisco Bay?  The harbor pilot who brought her through the gate and into the slip was from Petaluma and graduated from the Maritime Academy in Vallejo.  I read his story on the Petaluma Argus Courrier newspaper website.  Wouldn't that have been a sight to see?

Margi

Hi Margi,

I didn't see/read the story, but it must have been the QE II. The Queen Mary is permanently berthed in Long Beach.

Yes it was the QEII and it got under the bridge with only about 10 feet to spare at low tide.  Would love to have seen it!

Ardra

Those were great pictures Jerry!  That's enough to keep me off the water.  It reminded me of a fall vacation we took with my father-in-law in the late 60s to White Fish Point in Northern Michigan. We had rented a cabin near a river emptying into Lake Superior.  During the night we had a big storm out on the lake with some very good wave action.  When we woke up the next morning the river was huge.  The Lake had piled stones over the mouth of the river creating a big dam.  I never forget that example of natures power.

If you like the Big Boats of Lake Superior....check out this website.

http://www.duluthshippingnews.com/

Thousands of great pictures. I believe thay take pictures of every boat coming into the harbor.

I know you and Ardra and Tom and Chris have both spent years in the SF Bay area.  Did you happen to read recently that the huge ocean liner from England (brain block:  can't remember if it's the Queen Mary or the Queen Elizabeth) docked overnight at Pier 29 on San Francisco Bay?  The harbor pilot who brought her through the gate and into the slip was from Petaluma and graduated from the Maritime Academy in Vallejo.  I read his story on the Petaluma Argus Courrier newspaper website.  Wouldn't that have been a sight to see?

Another site to see is a US carrier coming in under the Lion's Gate bridge in Vancouver.  As I understand it, this feat is accomplished by lowering various masts and working it in on an especially low tide--things are tickling the bridge superstructure and the keel is massaging the mudflat below.

Ciao,

Doug

Thank you Hleap, that is a really great web site.  When we were in Duluth, MN we took a harbor tour and saw one of the really big 1,000 foot Lake Boats loading.  They have a full time position on these boats called "load master" because if they are loaded or unloaded incorrectly they can turn over right next to the dock.

JerryF

Lowell said:
Those were great pictures Jerry!  That's enough to keep me off the water.  It reminded me of a fall vacation we took with my father-in-law in the late 60s to White Fish Point in Northern Michigan. We had rented a cabin near a river emptying into Lake Superior.  During the night we had a big storm out on the lake with some very good wave action.  When we woke up the next morning the river was huge.  The Lake had piled stones over the mouth of the river creating a big dam.  I never forget that example of natures power.

That's why they call the channel between the peninsula and Washington Island Death's Door. We got caught in an 18' I/O up behind Washington Island one summer afternoon when the wind came up. It's only a half mile across there but it takes forever to get back to Whitefish.!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom