Big Life Changes!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Debra17

I have had a couple big life changes this year. As a result of being stationary throughout much of 2020 and 2021, I met a local resident here in Portal, AZ where I volunteered at the Cave Creek Canyon Visitor Information Center. Alan is a long time birder and a wonderful person, and is involved with the non-profit group that operates the visitor center. We became friends and did a lot of birding together, which is something I have become more active in pursuing. Over the course of several months our relationship grew and on June 9th we were married at a beautiful B&B in the Sonoran Desert west of Tucson. It was something I never expected to happen! We have a wonderful relationship and love being together.

We plan to continue traveling fulltime in an RV. However the Nash 17K trailer I have lived in for the last 4 years (June 28th was my four year anniversary of fulltiming) is much too small. We wanted a larger rig with comfortable seating separate from the dining table, good storage for clothing and walk around bed. We also did not want to drive a large truck as a daily driver. So the best fit for our needs seemed to be a motorhome flat-towing a small car. We have been looking for a motorhome for awhile with no luck. However last week we saw advertised in Tennessee a Winnebago Vista 30T. It came with a tow bar and braking system included. Also the sofa bed had been replaced with two recliners, exactly as we wanted. After phone conversations with the seller, we decided to make the trip to inspect it and buy if it was as advertised, which we did. The trip back to Arizona went well. We were towing the RAV4 we drove to TN in on a U-haul car hauler. The Winnebago was much easier to drive than I expected. I think it is actually less tiring than driving the truck and towing the Nash trailer. There are some minor things we need to fix which would be expected on a 2015. So far we are happy with it.

Since we purchased from a private party, we now need to sell the Nash trailer and the F250. The truck will sell pretty quickly and hopefully the trailer will also. We are ready to get on the road! Also we are looking for a vehicle that can be flat-towed and will trade the RAV4.

Neither of us has owned a motorhome before. I feel like I am starting over again! But with all the excellent resources here and help from the knowledgeable members I'm sure we will do well.

I love it when i read of people finding out that driving a big old motorhome is easier and more fun than you thought. Sounds like you are ready for some fun. Congratulations.

Congratulations Debra! Will you two be at Kofa or Quartzsite? I would love to meet him.
Thanks Pam! We will be doing a lot of traveling but I don’t know our schedule for January yet. If we are around we will be there.

Congratulations, Debra!

What year is the RAV4? We've been towing our 2011 RAV since it was new with the help of a Remco transmission lube pump. Remco no longer offers the pump kits, but some dealers may still have one in stock of the RAV is 2014 or earlier with a U140 automatic transmission.

Congratulations, Debra!

What year is the RAV4? We've been towing our 2011 RAV since it was new with the help of a Remco transmission lube pump. Remco no longer offers the pump kits, but some dealers may still have one in stock of the RAV is 2014 or earlier with a U140 automatic transmission.
Thanks NY_Dutch! The RAV4 is a 2018 and AWD. In researching from what I can tell it can’t be towed with any wheels down.

Thanks NY_Dutch! The RAV4 is a 2018 and AWD. In researching from what I can tell it can’t be towed with any wheels down.
That's correct, Debra. RAV's after 2014 are out of contention. AWD is ok, but the introduction of the CVT transmissions knocked out 4-down towing. We're just starting to evaluate what make/model we may move to next to replace the RAV that we really like. Our 2011 is still in great shape though, so we're not in any hurry...

That's correct, Debra. RAV's after 2014 are out of contention. AWD is ok, but the introduction of the CVT transmissions knocked out 4-down towing. We're just starting to evaluate what make/model we may move to next to replace the RAV that we really like. Our 2011 is still in great shape though, so we're not in any hurry...
I have downloaded the Dingy Guides from Motorhome Mag. The 2 models we are considering now are 2017 Chevy Equinox or 2017 Ford Explorer. We haven’t seen or test driven either yet. It seems to be getting more difficult to find cars that will flat tow.

WOW! Sending you oodles of congratulations and wishes for much happiness. And I got to meet him. And congrats on the new rig; so glad to know you will still be traveling and finding those birds.

Linda

WOW! Sending you oodles of congratulations and wishes for much happiness. And I got to meet him. And congrats on the new rig; so glad to know you will still be traveling and finding those birds.

Linda
Thanks Linda! In addition to traveling around the US we also want to do some international travel when things open up.

Congrats on your new home! In my experience, I prefer truck to smaller suv, we do have diff preferences.

Congratulations! May you have happy lives together. And that's great about the RV upgrade, too. Don't forget that most Jeep Wranglers are towable four down.

I haven’t had much forum time lately and just saw your news.
Theresa and I offer our congratulations and best wishes for happiness.
Hope to see you in Q / KOFA and meet Alan.

Thanks Tom and Theresa for the well wishes. Hope all is well with you and your family. Likewise hope to see all the gang at KOFA and Q.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom