Big Miles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joesolo

The few who may have read my posts know the wife and I are newbies. It still amazes me when I see some of the mileages put on coaches. I saw a 1999 Prevost for sale with 519,000+ miles on it (misprint?). How can that be? So what are lotsa miles here to some of ya'll?

Joe

Joe,

I used to have a small trucking company back in the early '80s, we used to do a in-frame rebuild(cylinder sleeves,piston and head rebuild) on my trucks at 500k miles,and a full out of frame rebuilt at 1mil miles . High mileage on a well maintained diesel is in the million plus range IMHO. :eek:

Run the numbers.  519,000 on a 1999 is 74,143 miles per year for 7 years.  That averages 204 miles per day for 365 days per year or 1426 miles per week, 52 weeks a year.  Does that sort of use seem likely in the type of coach you are buying?  Is it a former commercial vehicle or a common carrier? 

That kind of mileage is not at all uncommon it the chassis has been used as a bus before conversion or if it was a entertainer's bus. If you poke around the used bus sites, and look at what they have you'll see this is in line.

Chet18013

The RVIA says a typical private motorhome travels only about 6000 miles/year. The range is probably something like 3,000-12,000. That Prevost was almost certainly used commercially, either before conversion as a bus chassis or afterwards as a business travel vehicle (e.g. an entertainer or other road show).

Gary:

Had it been used much as a commercial carrier, it would probably have more than a million miles on it.  I would bet it was a business coach or entertainer.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom