Big Trouble in Little Quartzsite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jackiemac

Site Team
Steve and I met the guy who is creating this movie and associated podcasts whilst camping in Canyon de Chelly 2 years ago. Seemed like an interesting bloke. He had modified a school bus and was travelling around in it. I think he had been a teacher previously.

Now because so many of you visit Quartzsite I thought this may be of interest to you.

I'm not suggesting that you pay the $20 for the movie, but thought the podcasts which I believe are free, may be entertaining, especially if you know some of the characters involved.

Synopsis

Mike Roth, who?s spent every month for the last 12 years fighting and winning his legal battles against a town council and a police department that targeted him and other vocal critics of the local government, is running for sheriff of La Paz County in the 2020 elections.  And so is the man Roth says falsely arrested him during the years of conflict ? then-Sergeant Will Ponce.

But here?s the catch: Will Ponce, now the current chief, actually led 80% of the Quartzsite Police Department in a 2013 mutiny against the man who he says was really behind the corruption ? then-Chief Jeff Gilbert. Who?s telling the truth? Who will win the election? Whose message will be sent out to an embattled community ready for change?

For the last year-and-a-half, the crew from Legally Insane Films has followed this story, and the story of mayors, council members, attorneys, judges, cops, and others who say they?ve been targeted as well. We?ve gathered hundreds of court documents, audio and video surveillance, body-camera footage, archival news and radio bytes, piled through thousands of newspaper articles and interviewed nearly 60 witnesses across seven Arizona towns.

Selected Interviewees

Jennifer ?Jade? Jones ? dog groomer, Donald Trump songwriter, political activist, newspaper publisher

Shanana ?Rain? Goldenbear ? 4?10? tattoo-faced newspaper publisher and blue-haired chamber of commerce president

Michael Roth ? 2020 La Paz County sheriff candidate and libertarian activist targeted and falsely jailed since 2007

Ed Foster ? ex-mayor, nudist and successful federal litigant against a corrupted town council

John Gutekunst ? squeaky-voiced newspaper reporter for the Parker Pioneer

Norm Simpson ? current mayor, b-movie star impersonator, restaurant and RV park owner

Paul Winer ? nudist bookstore owner and comedy cabaret performer (RIP)

Russell Sias ? LDS construction worker, 80-year-old activist and resident cop puncher (alleged, of course)

Will Ponce ? current chief and once-mutineer against previous chief

Jeff Gilbert ? contentious ex-chief and Kentucky transplant with alleged drug cartel connections

Alex Taft ? tarot card reader and former town manager

Dennis Wagner ? reporter for Arizona Republic and correspondent for the USA Today

The original plan was to get this released before the election but they haven't managed it.

As I haven't listened to it myself I'm not sure how political it is, so apologise in advance if it insults your position.

Link to site:

https://legallyinsanefilms.com/

Thanks for posting.  Certainly there were interesting times in Quartzsite.  If I remember correctly this all started about the city spending thousands of dollars every month and only a few people knew where it was going, and when people tried to find out where the money went, that is when things blew up.

I saw just the other day that former Mayor Ed Foster died of covid, Will Ponce is now the La Paz county sheriff, also, Mike Roth got 822 votes for sheriff.

We will probably spend some time there again this year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom