bike carrier for Jayco Kiwi (C channel bumper)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lardman

Hello all, Looking for a bike carrier to put on the back of my 25' 2002 Jayco Kiwi. Problem is my bumper is a 2" wide by 4" tall C channel (not the 4" sq tube that most carriers mount too). I have yet to look and see if I can mount a 2" hitch to the frame in the area to go that route. Wanted to get other ideas before I had to spend the extra money on a hitch. Looked at the style that slides over a 2" receiver but I don't have enough room between my tailgate and my tongue jack. Any help would be appreciated.

What about getting a piece of 2x4 C channel, and mate it up to form the square in the area of the mount?  Also, these typically mount with a big U-bolt arrangement, So long as the height is 4", would it just be a matter of using more of the threads, then cutting off excess bolt? 

Bill, I thought about doing something similar to your idea but the 2 channels would need to be welded together and the added channel would have to attach to the frame member supporting the bumper. The square bumper has more torsional rigidity than a c channel bumper. By just adding the one piece and not tying it to the frame will only move the stress riser outboard to the ends of the added c channel and the bumper will want to twist under the load. Not to mention...that is a lot of work! If I just bolt up the carrier without the added c channel, the bumper would likely twist under the load. I think I am stuck with spending the extra $$$ and putting a receiver on because I have the bed that folds out in the back and the bike carrier has to either be low enought to clear the bed or has to be removed.

lardman said:
Hello all, Looking for a bike carrier to put on the back of my 25' 2002 Jayco Kiwi. Problem is my bumper is a 2" wide by 4" tall C channel (not the 4" sq tube that most carriers mount too). I have yet to look and see if I can mount a 2" hitch to the frame in the area to go that route. Wanted to get other ideas before I had to spend the extra money on a hitch. Looked at the style that slides over a 2" receiver but I don't have enough room between my tailgate and my tongue jack. Any help would be appreciated.

Have you thought about a roof mount bike rack? If you have rails on the roof both Yakima and Thule make racks that should fit. I went that route on our toad and much prefer it to a hitch mount. Of course, if the vehicle is too tall you might need a step ladder. :)

You are probably going to have to put a tube steel bumber on. I tried to mount the reciever to the C bumber and attached it through the floor of the trailer and after I put 4 bikes on the C bumber still wanted to bend. I am going to have to get a tube type bumper.  As far as clearance for the bed goes, If you bike rack tilts it may allow clearance for the bed. It will on mine.

The Kiwi bumper is only rated for 100lbs. I can assure you if you don't take steps to beef this bumper up your bumper and bikes will fall off in transit. The best I have seen is something that is welded to the bottom side of the frame that extends out to the bumper so that none of the bike weight is on the bumper. I wouldn't do it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlm611
Back
Top Bottom