Bike Rack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonlee1150

Hello,

Have a 2016 Jayco 12HSB A Frame pop up camper. I am looking for way to carry four bikes. I know the manual states not to add/weld a hitch mount to the back, I am questioning adding a rake to the roof if it was not installed at the factory due to the impact on the roof structure and water leaks. I don't have a lot of room up front with my battery and two propane tanks unless I move something.

Looking for thoughts, experiences and ideas. 

Do you have an open bed pick up truck? If so I can post some pictures of what I have done to deal with carrying bikes. It would work for four bikes, but it will take some work to do so. I built a storage box for the bed and added bike tracks with locks on top.

I don't have a truck we pull the camper with a Jeep Cherokee and I know we could put them up on the roof but that is where the kayak goes. 

Well there are folks that install a receiver on the front of their vehicles and carry bikes up front. I don't know if four bikes would fit up there.  But can you improvise a rack on your pop up with a support pipe from the hitch area and one off the bumper in the back. You are not adding much weight in the back bumper that way. Then just put a cross member on top of each upright support and that will allow you to carry your kayak there. Simple galvanized pipe works great for that job. And you can add 45 degree supports to each side of the cross members. Then put at least a couple of bikes on top and two on the front rack.

There are double receivers that fit into the existing receiver on your jeep. This will allow you to add a bike rack on top of your trailer hitch.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Roadmaster/RM-077-2.html?feed=npn&msclkid=6e68ef6717fe16e7cefeb1d9cebdfb7e&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Bing%20%7C%20Shop%20-%20Accessories%20and%20Parts&utm_term=4577198189694451&utm_content=Tow%20Bars

This may work, depending on how far your bike rack tubing sticks out. It may interfere with your tank or hitch crank. But this link is a starting point.

https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=Double+receiver+adapter&furl=-pg-Hitch_Adapters
There are others elsewhere search for double receiver adapter.
Yes the extend the distance to your trailer slightly.

They make bike racks that mount to the front hood too.  My question is, you seem to want to take everything including the kitchen sink.  That's ok, many of us do.  Are you sure your Jeep has the payload capacity to do that?  There is a yellow sticker in the drivers door that says how much you can put in/on the vehicle. 

The first camping trip after I installed the Swagman bike rack was great, loading and unloading happened in seconds! I used the adapter to attach it directly to the case. The installation process was very smooth and easy. As others have said, the quality of the price is very good. Now, loading and unloading our bikes couldn't be easier. I've tried other mounts and methods for carrying our bikes and this is by far the best.

Do you have an open bed pick up truck? If so I can post some pictures of what I have done to deal with carrying bikes. It would work for four bikes, but it will take some work to do so. I built a storage box for the bed and added bike tracks with locks on top.
I would like to see your setup

The first camping trip after I installed the Swagman bike rack was great, loading and unloading happened in seconds! I used the adapter to attach it directly to the case. The installation process was very smooth and easy. As others have said, the quality of the price is very good. Now, loading and unloading our bikes couldn't be easier. I've tried other mounts and methods for carrying our bikes and this is by far the best.
Pretty cool, right? Well, it doesn’t stop there as my bike rack also has a push button ratchet arms, which you can easily adjust to offer further protection for your bikes. And it also comes with adjustable hooks, which can be a godsend for people that want to mount their bikes by their frames.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our Flagstaff came with a roof rack which handles our two bikes well. Four would be doable provided they are reasonably light bikes (i.e. not monster fat tire bikes). We use the Swagman Upright Rooftop Bike Rack currently $65 on Amazon.

We had a '93 Jayco 1208 PUP that we bought new. One of things they touted in their sales literature was that every Jayco PUP roof could support cargo racks for bikes, canoes, etc. Of course they had their own and there we bought them because I didn't want to chance mounting them myself at the time and damaging the roof. We also bought the Jayco bike rack which was a mistake because it scratched up our bikes. But the cargo bars were great. The brackets were mounted to the edges, not the roof itself.

Back
Top Bottom