Bike Rack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MoInEd

Getting ready for the camping season with our new trailer I spent the last few days building a bike rack to carry 4 bikes. The idea is borrowed from the one by Lippert components but I custom made it to fit our trailer. The only changes I made to the trailer was:
- stiffen the connection between the 2x4 tube and the bumper (added a 1/4" plate on top).
- Stiffen the connection between the 2x4 tube and the I-beam: they were welded together at two connection points along the length of the tube but I added a snug fit hardwood 1.75"x3.75" filler into the tube and then added two 5/8" thick bolts through the tube/I-beam. So even if the welds fail, the bolts hold the two.

I added the spare tire and then stood at the tip of the rack and made small jumps, feels very solid.
Have to paint it.

20220512_171319.jpg20220512_171331.jpg20220512_171359.jpg20220512_171648.jpg20220512_171656.jpg20220512_173308.jpg

looks good only faults i can see is are the welds from the bumper to the frame strong enough to support all the extra weight? and all that weight on the rear will lighten the hitch weight, and with all the frost heaves and bumpy Alberta roads its gonna bounce, but it looks like you did a nice job (y)(y)

looks good only faults i can see is are the welds from the bumper to the frame strong enough to support all the extra weight? and all that weight on the rear will lighten the hitch weight, and with all the frost heaves and bumpy Alberta roads its gonna bounce, but it looks like you did a nice job (y)(y)
Although i have stiffened the connection of the bumper to the beam (added a 1/4" thick plate) there is almost no weight on the bumper, if i remove the hockey pucks (which are only to reduce vibration) the whole weight are on those 5/8" thick pins and the beam. I have calculated the torque on the pins are about 3000lb (with a weight of 300lb of rack and bikes). That's nothing compared to capacity of the pins.
I also did weigh the hitch and it is still heavy enough even without loading the storage area at the front of the trailer. So all should be good.

Looks really good. If someone's looking for a bike rack for their RVs. This review is a good one.
I purchased the Futura GP. Can say it's quite safe, the most reliable security system of all the racks I tried. It also can be used for a variety of vehicles if you ever change from RV to a normal car.

Painted and ready for the first trip.
Very solid and no movement.

Attachments

• 20220601_180538.jpg
    20220601_180538.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 20220601_180555.jpg
    20220601_180555.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 20220601_180608.jpg
    20220601_180608.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 18
Let us know how it works out. I only ever carried 3 bikes on any of our RVs but that does look good. I especially like the bumpers (hockey pucks) that you added for the rack frame to rest on as that should minimize the wear on the pins that hold it in the up or down positions.

Last edited:
Getting ready for the camping season with our new trailer I spent the last few days building a bike rack to carry 4 bikes. The idea is borrowed from the one by Lippert components but I custom made it to fit our trailer. The only changes I made to the trailer was:
- stiffen the connection between the 2x4 tube and the bumper (added a 1/4" plate on top).
- Stiffen the connection between the 2x4 tube and the I-beam: they were welded together at two connection points along the length of the tube but I added a snug fit hardwood 1.75"x3.75" filler into the tube and then added two 5/8" thick bolts through the tube/I-beam. So even if the welds fail, the bolts hold the two.

I added the spare tire and then stood at the tip of the rack and made small jumps, feels very solid.
Have to paint it.

View attachment 153915View attachment 153916View attachment 153917View attachment 153918View attachment 153919View attachment 153920
I like the idea but: What keeps the bikes from banging around and hitting together? I carry 2 electric bikes on the back of my trailer and each one has to be very secure. You also have to cover them, or they will get very dirty back there. That being said, I think you have nicely solved your problem.

Came back from an 800km trip. It worked much better than i expected. The bikes are rock solid in their place and no movement at all (before the actual trip i did a test drive in local highways with my wife coming behind, i also watched them using a back up camera).
All in all, i am very happy with the result. Wen i am not carrying bikes i can use it for extra cargo space.

The bike tires fit tightly in the slots, so much so you have to really try to pll them out. I used bungee cords to tie thm together and to the vertical support.

20220601_180538.jpg

20220601_180608.jpg
20220604_092733.jpg

I love your rack. Great build.

The only concern I see is that with the effective length of the overhang it could be possible to drag the spare tire leaving certain driveways. Just have to keep an eye out on radically uneven terrain.

I love your rack. Great build.

The only concern I see is that with the effective length of the overhang it could be possible to drag the spare tire leaving certain driveways. Just have to keep an eye out on radically uneven terrain.
That's what i have been watching for. So far so good.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom