Birdog in the dark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Here's the procedure I used to set up my DW system after dark this evening:

• Using the DS Look Angle utility, I entered the LAT/LON coordinates and obtained elevation, azimuth and skew settings.
  • Using the above, I manually adjusted the elevation and skew on my dish.
  • I didn't have a compass so, armed with my flashlight, I walked over to Ron Marabito's coach and looked at the approximate direction his dish was pointing.
  • Walked back to my coach and eyeballed where my dish should be pointing.
  • Plugged the Receive coax from the LNB into the Birdog hung around my neck, switched on the BD and selected my satellite.
  • Fine tuned the position of the dish and maximized the readings on the BD, unplugged the BD and hooked the LNB back up to the coax running into the coach. This took a matter of seconds.
  • Locked the dish (aka tightened the nuts).
  • Went inside the coach, hooked up the modem and used the Point4020 program to tell the modem where I was.
  • Fired up my browser and bingo! I was online with a signal strength of 90.

FWIW I haven't used this DW system to get online for several months. Before leaving home last week, I did set the dish on the tripod and plugged in the BD just to make sure the meter still worked, but it was not hooked to the modem until this evening.

LOL Ron, I started to put out the tripod and dish while it was still light but, before I got to the setup, Chris was telling me dinner was ready. About that time I also realized the battery in the BD needed recharging. A byproduct of this was that I got to confirm my mini mag light works.

Gee if I had known I could have let you use my 10,000,000 candle power light that is a bit brighter than any mag light. ;D ;D ;D? Did you happen to note just how many internet setups are here among the forum group at the QZ rally?

Ron said:
Did you happen to note just how many internet setups are here among the forum group at the QZ rally?

No I didn't Ron, but I know you were counting them at one point. You can add mine to the list.

I'm not sure but just in my head I come up with an even dozen just in our group.  Good thing I brought the WIFI SPRAY. ;D ;) ;D ;)

Back
Top Bottom