Black/Gray dump opinions???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JerArdra

Tuesday - November 1, 2005

ALL,

I am "thinking" of getting an RV SANI-COM pump.  First, look at http://www.emptythetanks.com and the
attached photo below.  Then please give me your thoughts on the pros and cons of dumping in this fashion.

You know, what works and what doesn't.

Thanks,
JerryF

Attachments

• RV SANI-CON (Large).JPG
    RV SANI-CON (Large).JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 55
I've heard good reports from folks who bought that system Jerry. I opted for the macerator and garden hose system from CW, which essentially does the same thing.

Tom,

Are you satisfied using a pump rather than the 3" hose and gravity?  This one does have a gray water bypass so a person can put the hose out and open the gray tank and let it drain by gravity.  It might take an hour but who cares if you open it the night before.

JerryF

Jerry

The macerator pump empties the tanks into a sewer cleanout at the house in very little time. The only times I've used it have been on our return home from a trip. But it gives me an option for those campgrounds that require a very long sewer hose &/or expect the poop to travel uphill to their sewer connection.

I have used both a macerator pump, which I bought when I got the motor-home, and the standard gravity hose.

Both methods worked very well, Takes a bit longer with the pum but you have a lot more flexability

The one thing I did special though was a black 3/4 inch garden hose (The pump can use up to 1" but the connectors are only 3/4 so I went with 3/4) I got a black one because it is the one and only black hose that I have,,, all other garden type hoses are white, green or clear.  The black one is .... For black

JerArdra said:
Tuesday - November 1, 2005

ALL,

I am "thinking" of getting an RV SANI-COM pump.? First, look at http://www.emptythetanks.com and the
attached photo below.? Then please give me your thoughts on the pros and cons of dumping in this fashion.

You know, what works and what doesn't.

Thanks,
JerryF

I purchased the Monoco option that they sell and installed it this summer. (see photo) It has worked very well. It can pump to 300 ft and 20 ft elevation if I remember right. I used it at my children's homes to pump out to outside sewer access. (I tried the model sold by CW and it didn't work - returned it.) Advantages were reduced wear on my back from lifting a full liquid 3 inch hose in places where sewer intake was higher than surroundings; this little 3/4 inch hose even if full weighs nothing to speak of. It reduced compartment space required for a 20 ft hose and a spare 20 ft 3 inch hose for use in CG's that put inlet out in back 40. I carry a 100 ft 3/4 inch rubber hose for use at homes and anywher else its needed. Very compact and fairly light. Don't order from Internet as they sell at MSRP because of pressure from MH mfgs. Call and get much lower price.

Attachments

• small.jpg
    small.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 52
Blueblood,

I see yours has the gray water bypass.  Have you used that feature yet? 

JerryF

JerArdra said:
Blueblood,

I see yours has the gray water bypass.? Have you used that feature yet??

JerryF

Yes, This summer I spent a month each at several CG's. I let the grey water run out until I wanted to accumulate some to rinse the hose after pumping the black. 

My wife must use the RV toilet, so if I dump before I get home, she will usually christen it before we get there. The macerator or sani-con is the hot ticket for dumping at home. Gonna get one soon I hope. Are you listening Santa?  ;)

Howdy, Tom.

Tom said:
Jerry

The macerator pump empties the tanks into a sewer cleanout at the house in very little time. The only times I've used it have been on our return home from a trip. But it gives me an option for those campgrounds that require a very long sewer hose &/or expect the poop to travel uphill to their sewer connection.

Hmmm. How much time is a "very little time"? I was wondering how well these systems would handle the contents of a 100 gallon black water tank.

Thanks,
Liz

Jackliz said:
How much time is a "very little time"?

Oh my, Liz, I've never actually timed it. I'm not usually looking at the time when the tank is emptying. Simply based on the diameter of the hose being much smaller, it obviously takes longer than the gravity dump when hooked up at a campsite. Also, our BW tank holds only 39 gallons compared with your 100 gallon one. I also flush the BW tank for some time and also pump that out before putting the coach back into storage. But, it's a matter of minutes, which is a lot less time (and money) than having to drive to the nearest dump. I just couldn't tell you how many minutes  :)

Kirk said:
I understan why you get a macerator for situations where you have to send the waste a long distance, but why get one for the normal, every day dump?

Kirk, as I said, I only use the macerator when I have to dump at home (have to go over the sidewalk and the lawn to get to the sewer cleanout) and when a campground sewer is uphill from my RV sewer outlet. Don't use it when at a campground with a "normal" sewer hookup or a dump station. FWIW the nearest dump to our home is at least 45 minutes away and it makes no sense to waste fuel driving there when I can use the macerator when we get home.

Kirk:

I have a Sewer Solution that is much easier to hookup,  cleaner to use, and does not require a Slinky for drainage. I do replace it with a regular hose for dumping our black water on the road because of the time involved. All other times I use the SS.

I do replace it with a regular hose for dumping our black water on the road because of the time involved

Be carefull what you say Jeff, Judy B from the Billings campground will be reporting to the Billings city council that you are dumping your black water tank on the roads.  ;D :D ;D

I really like having the option of a macerator.  as everyone says, they are perfect for home use.  i used mine on a one month road trip this summer when I was at my parents place and parked for 2 weeks (needed to drain it once).  i didn't have to move the rig and it worked flawlessly.  ONe thing that I did to make it easier is cut the hose into 2 pieces.  one is longer than the other and they both can be tied together for a really long distance. This gives me options which i found i really needed.  having one 30 foot hose was a real pain when i was using it for shorter distance dumps.  I left the slinky at home and by the 5th dump, i really wished I had it with me.  my advise is to leave it at home unless you have room for all this stuff and Always bring the slinky!

Tom said:
Kirk, as I said, I only use the macerator when I have to dump at home (have to go over the sidewalk and the lawn to get to the sewer cleanout) and when a campground sewer is uphill from my RV sewer outlet. Don't use it when at a campground with a "normal" sewer hookup or a dump station. FWIW the nearest dump to our home is at least 45 minutes away and it makes no sense to waste fuel driving there when I can use the macerator when we get home.

Oh, my!  How stupid am I?!?  (Don't answer that)!

I have been trying to figure out how to use my sewer cleanout at home since it is on the wrong side of the camper and uphill.  Sheesh!  I have known all along about these macerator contraptions but I guess I didn't put it together that I could use it ONLY at home and use my normal dump accessories while at campgrounds.  Thanks!

LOL, OK I won't answer that. It's one of those HFWPOH (hit forehead with palm of hand) moments, a term often used by folks here for one of those times when we do something with or to our RV that we wish we hadn't. It can also be a signal to another driver that we know/acknowledge we just screwed up and didn't intentionally cut him off, or whatever. I have many HFWPOH moments when I'm working on something - it's a lot kinder to other folks' ears than the natural reaction to verbally express annoyance with myself for screwing something up.

Back
Top Bottom