Black pudding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Karl

Moderator Emeritus
Elkhart Lake, WI for the summer. Work at Road Amer
Tom,

Some years ago I had Black Pudding at the Irish Abbey in Thiensville, WI and it was wonderful. Asking about the recipe, the owner's wife said it was a secret recipe which she couldn't divulge. A later talk with her husband (and chef) revealed that they bought it from a purveyor in Chicago! Net result - I still don't have a recipe for it. Do you or Chris have one you could share?

On occasion I will mix leftover mashed potatoes with spinach and fry it in bacon fat for breakfast along with eggs. You could probably do the same with laverbred - or would that be sacreligious?

Karl

Chris has never made black pudding, but I've eaten it many times, usually as part of a fried breakfast or lunch. It's usually bought pre-cooked and we'd cut it into thick slices and heat the slices in a frying pan. However, a Google search turns up recipes for all kinds of dishes which include black pud.

What's black pudding? It's more like a large sausage than pudding and has a very strong, distinctive taste. According to at least one source it's "boiled pig's blood in a length of intestine." Actual recipes are often a guarded secret of butchers, but here's one I found online: http://www.recipesource.com/ethnic/europe/british/00/rec0001.html  This one is not quite the familiar sausage shape though.

Will you be serving this at the next Qz potluck?

We don't do haggis Karl. But Jim on the pipes and maybe Pat doing the sword dance?

Tom said:
Will you be serving this at the next Qz potluck?

Tom,

I will have be more careful at forum potlucks now.  :)

Phil

Maybe we need labels on the dishes listing ingredients :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom