Black tank spray nozzles not working

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Woodart58

Hi,
I have a 2001 Holiday Rambler class A.
I’m wondering if anyone has any tricks or procedures for getting the spray nozzles in my black water tank working/unclogged.
I am guessing that the problem is that they’re clogged up. When I connect at the dump station, I don’t get any water coming through the effluent hose.
Steve

If you are certain you have a fair amount of water in your black tank, level or slightly leaning towards dump valve, and nothing coming out? Your valve is not actually opening, maybe frozen, or you have a poop pyramid in the tank that has the outlet clogged.

If you are certain you have a fair amount of water in your black tank, level or slightly leaning towards dump valve, and nothing coming out? Your valve is not actually opening, maybe frozen, or you have a poop pyramid in the tank that has the outlet clogged.
It’s not the drain, it’s the spray nozzles inside. I have a hookup for them to be used after I empty the tank.

I’ve tried a product that foams inside the tank. It says to leave it with the tank full for 24 hours. Left it for almost a week but still didn’t resolve the issue.

I don’t get any water coming through the effluent hose.
Sorry, a communication barrier. Effluent hose to many means the waste discharge hose. So you are not getting water to spray into the black tank? At connection point, is the screen plugged? Could it be hard minerals built up? If you could get a short hose, elevate it above tank, add a funnel and pour vinegar in there, it could help. Other than that, I added a rinse out to mine fairly easy. It's called tornado black tank rinse out I think.

The tank flush systems that I have seen all use a backflow prevention device and I did once see one that plugged up and allowed no water in either direction. Do you have access to yours? If your flush system has more than 1 nozzle it would seem unlikely that all would be plugged at the same time. The system that I had only had 1 nozzle.

Definitely check to see if it does have a plugged screen. The backflow preventer should be right the hose inlet. May look like a small pin. Push on it and see if it moves.
1678498492815.png

Black tank flushing systems have a siphon-break installed and/or a backflow prevention device, but not at the water hose connection.
I agree with Kirk, there's a good chance the nozzle holes are clogged. It can be removed from an empty tank and cleaned if necessary.

Are you sure the water source at the dump station has adequate pressure to power the spray nozzles? And can connect to the tank cleaner inlet? Most of the ones I've used did not even have a hose fitting on the end and were designed primarily just to rinse the nearby ground and maybe hoses.

Assuming the water source is up to the job, I would agree with the others that the backflow preventer is the likely culprit. Or possibly the hose connection itself, perhaps an inlet screen.

Yes it has, the pressure is more than adequate we must use a PRV. It’s over 80 psi and has hose fittings. I will check the back flow to be sure it’s working properly. I’m also going to try it at home (~65 psi) by attaching a backflow preventor.

I had one years ago that got plugged up with a very fine sand. The CG had a water main break and during the repair, sand got in the pipes and eventually to me. I had to remove the assembly from the tank and clean out all the tiny holes

Last edited:
Black tank flushing systems have a siphon-break installed and/or a backflow prevention device, but not at the water hose connection.
I agree with Kirk, there's a good chance the nozzle holes are clogged. It can be removed from an empty tank and cleaned if necessary.

Mine is right at the inlet, just like my city water connection. It also has the screen filter.

Mine has both a screen and a backflow preventer. The screen is right at the hose connection and the backflow preventer is just on the other side of the sheet metal panel. IMHO it would be dumb to put it anywhere hard to reach. Hmmmm, on second thought that will probably be where you find it! :p

Home Depot sells them and will have images of what they look like. Happy hunting.

Mine has both a screen and a backflow preventer. The screen is right at the hose connection and the backflow preventer is just on the other side of the sheet metal panel. IMHO it would be dumb to put it anywhere hard to reach. Hmmmm, on second thought that will probably be where you find it! :p

Home Depot sells them and will have images of what they look like. Happy hunting.
Yeah, one of the lines for my black tank flush is cracked, but you'd have to be an anorexic 10-year-old to get in there to fix it without pulling the tank. I can see where it's cracked, but that's no help.
I just use plenty of water in the tank and haven't had a problem in 6 years.

Yeah, one of the lines for my black tank flush is cracked, but you'd have to be an anorexic 10-year-old to get in there to fix it without pulling the tank. I can see where it's cracked, but that's no help.
I just use plenty of water in the tank and haven't had a problem in 6 years.
Nasty job but we had the same problem and removed the hose connection and cleaned out all the plugged up little holes and all is well now. Just flush tank before it gets too full to avoid the problem.

Nasty job but we had the same problem and removed the hose connection and cleaned out all the plugged up little holes and all is well now. Just flush tank before it gets too full to avoid the problem.
I seriously could not get to mine without removing the tank and I'm not even sure that's possible the way my coach is built.
I'm in the camp of people who use plenty of water and don't empty the tank until it's full. I have a 50 gallon black tank, and when my wife was alive we could go around 2 weeks before having to dump the tank. Now that I'm by myself that interval has been extended to about a month (I'm full time if you didn't guess). After almost 7 years in this coach, I can tell by the sound of the flush when the tank is starting to get full. Last year after a similar thread on this forum, I started marking the calender when I dumped the tank. Ended up for 4 months in a row having the dump the tank on the 27th of the month. I never even look at the sensor panel.
Gray water is a whole different story, but for some reason the sensors in that tank work just fine, as do the ones in the fresh water tank.

Back
Top Bottom