Black tank treatment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwdanby

I bought the Happy Campers Organic RV Holding Tank Treatment for my new (used) fifth wheel. The instructions are very clear - you can't put in more than one scoop each dump period. So I think I have the dreaded poo pile - are there treatments to add which allow additional amounts to be added to the black tank if there is buildup? Thanks and stay safe!

Water... Lots and lots of water. Precharge the black tank with 10 gallons or so after dumping.

After, uh, the other "dumping", hold the flush pedal down extra long to add more water.

If you are lucky enough to have a toilet that drops straight into the black tank, occasionally use a bright light to look down the flush valve hole when it's open. If you see anything protruding from the water surface, you need more water.

Follow that, and you will not need any extra chemicals.

Oh, and in our coach, only, uh, poop paper goes down the hole. Pee paper goes in the trash. This depends on the quantity of paper the users of the latter use after a, uh, tinkle...  :)

Some owners with poop pyramids say using a lot of Calgon along with a lot of water helps loosen up the pile.

Chemicals will not get rid of a poop pyramid. The only thing that works is physical force. You can go in through the toilet with a wand:

https://www.amazon.com/PS-Camco-Flexible-Swivel-Stick-Holding/dp/B0754JCX3T/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=black+tank+wand&qid=1590055859&sr=8-4

or you can drill a hole in the side of your tank and install one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-40126-Tornado-Rotary-Rinser/dp/B000BUU5TU/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=black+tank+flush&qid=1590055941&sr=8-2

I have had the pyramid in the last three RVs I bought and these are the only things that work.

First, why do you think you have a poop pile? It gets a lot of discussion on the internet, but isn't really all that common and not the cause for every waste water problem.  Please tell us more about the symptoms.

If a poop pile has developed, odds are it has become too solid to be dissolved with simple chemicals or detergents. It's worth a try, but chances of an easy success are low. High pressure water jet or a physical scraping may be needed.  You can try softening & dissolving it with a concentrated solution of a detergent or a septic system treatment such as Roebic K47 or K57.  It will almost surely take multiple cycles of soaking/softening (1-2 days at a time) and dumping.

You can put more of the Happy Camper Deodorizer in each tankful if you want, but it's a waste of money. It won't hurt anything except your wallet.

Thanks! You mention the Roebic K-47/57. Will the K-37 work as well? it is much better reviewed on Amazon. Is it basically the same thing?

Probably very similar. The K47, K57 & K570 are supposedly more suitable for dissolving clogs while the K37 is a biologic booster for natural septic action, but they are all going to help to some degree.  None of them are a silver bullet either.

I suggested the Roebic products but plain old RidX can be used and so can the Roto-Rooter Septic treatment.

We've owned 9 RV's to date, and the only poop pile I've had to deal with was one that came with a used TT years ago. My pressure washer made short work of that one...

NY_Dutch said:
We've owned 9 RV's to date, and the only poop pile I've had to deal with was one that came with a used TT years ago. My pressure washer made short work of that one...

I've owned several too.. the only poop pile I have had to deal with was from the salesperson. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I?ve dumped ice cubes in just prior to departure ... they do the hockey puck thing back and forth and it see seems bring the sensors back on line ... wand action has been very effective too ... between the two, I don?t have much trouble with #2, you know the second tank after the gray tank.

Walex TOI-91799 works great. I have a small camper and I have a 5-gallon bucket with a toilet seat (also purchased on Amazon) that I use for a potty. I put kitty litter (in a trash bag, of course) and one of these deodorizer packets in the bucket and that sits inside a small privacy tent which is my camping "outhouse". These deodorizer packets kept things fresh smelling the entire time. If these worked under those conditions then they'll work anywhere. I definitely recommend this product.

Rv holding tanks are 40-50 gallons and would require 10 times or more treatment than an outside 5 gallon bucket which would be unlikely to retain much more than 3-4 gallons of liquid. 

Henry J Fate said:
Rv holding tanks are 40-50 gallons and would require 10 times or more treatment than an outside 5 gallon bucket which would be unlikely to retain much more than 3-4 gallons of liquid.
I looked at it on Amazon and it said to use one of the small packet to treat 40 gallons of stuff. Not that I?m going to use it but I was just curious. I don?t use any chemicals just plenty of water and never have any issues.

So far we have not had an issue such as this.  I put about 10 gallons into the tank before we use it and lots and lots of water when it is used.  We don't do much boondocking so have to empty the tank every 3 or 4 days isn't a problem.

Rene T said:
I looked at it on Amazon and it said to use one of the small packet to treat 40 gallons of stuff. Not that I?m going to use it but I was just curious. I don?t use any chemicals just plenty of water and never have any issues.

That would explain why the 5 gallon bucket is nice and fresh. Anything X10 of the recommended dose would be likely to have a very positive affect on 3 gallons of stuff.

I bought Walex treatment for my RV and it worked very well. I did not smell any chemicals or foul odor at all while camping until I drained my tanks. The sludge was jellified and it was really easy to just rinse everything off. Before when my bro would dump it, he would be gagging and complaining about it like a little sissy but now he can put his big man jeans on and just dump the crap without pitching a hissy fit!!

I bought Walex treatment for my RV and it worked very well. I did not smell any chemicals or foul odor at all while camping until I drained my tanks. The sludge was jellified and it was really easy to just rinse everything off. Before when my bro would dump it, he would be gagging and complaining about it like a little sissy but now he can put his big man jeans on and just dump the crap without pitching a hissy fit!!
You have a huge problem if you are getting odors like that. There should only be a slight odor when draining your tanks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sandlers
Back
Top Bottom