Black water tank rinse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dog nui

Good morning,

A question if I may.? I need to dump for the TT shows 2/3 black holding tank full when I bought it.? I don't know when it was last dumped since one of the couple I got it from is in declining health.? So it may have been six months or a year.?

The question is - I want to keep the tank sensors operating properly so how do you flush rinse a black tank if you have done the black dump and rinsed with your gray water?? Do places like Flying J truck stops have water spiggots and you use your own hose for this??

Thanks for your advice,
Dog Nui

Yes most all the Flying J's have this facility.  A tank wand would be very handy.  You attach to the end of the hose abd insert into the commode and let it flush for a good amount of time.  I would then fill it with clear water a couple of times.  You may have to do this a couple of times after it set that long.  Others will chip in here and further direct you.  Good luck

dog nui said:
The question is - I want to keep the tank sensors operating properly so how do you flush rinse a black tank if you have done the black dump and rinsed with your gray water?  Do places like Flying J truck stops have water spiggots and you use your own hose for this?

That 2/3 full on the display may be drity sensors (However do hook to a proper dump  before testing that theory, After all, it's only a theory, and I'd hate to find out the facts if the theory is wrong without a proper dump hose hooked to a proper dump)

To clean the sensors,  Your tank may have a built in rinsing device,,, it MIGHT work. or you can buy a "Cleaning wand"  These are water wands you hook a hose to the top (Via a vaccume breaker and, if you wish, a one way valve) and stand on the flush lever, stick the wand down the toilet and power on (turn on the water) there are several different wands  The one I bought had 4 pin holes in the business end and did not do a thing for me, the one I made has about a quarter inch (i think it's 7/32 actually) hole in it and when you put water to it there is enough force to bend 1/2 inch pvc pipe.  IT WORKED, well

The one I wanted has a brass spinner on the bottom with a pair of good size jets (Around 1/8-1/4 inch) and it should work well too

I stick my home made one down the toilet, line her up and turn on the water, move it around a bit and it blasts any crud left sticking on the sensors, when I think I'm done I check the level, if there is a level, I'm not done yet.  Oh yes, dump valve open and hose hooked up properly while flushing.

There are chemicals you can use, or to be more precise biologicals, with names that often include the word "Digester"  Do these help? Frankly I do not know, but I'm using them and since using them I'v enot had a problem (I had a problem before) However I've also changed dump procedures a bit and that too may be why I have no problem now

Thanks guys for the info.

Do you do all of this rinsing while at a dump station? Seems like folks might get a bit annoyed if it takes very long.

Much appreciated and hopefully others will have a few thoughts on this.

Dog Nui

dog nui said:
Thanks guys for the info.

Do you do all of this rinsing while at a dump station? Seems like folks might get a bit annoyed if it takes very long.

Much appreciated and hopefully others will have a few thoughts on this.

Dog Nui

Annoyed would be a mild word.  Do your tank maintenance at a campground hookup or at a trafficless private dumpstation.  If you use a CG dumpstation, do so after the morning departures time. 

John In Detroit said:
the one I made has about a quarter inch (i think it's 7/32 actually) hole in it and when you put water to it there is enough force to bend 1/2 inch pvc pipe.? IT WORKED, well

John any chance you have a photo of this little guy that you fabricated?  I'd much rather go that route then to buy something that really doesn't "get the job done".  ;)

No, and a photo would not really do much good less I had it hooked up and sqiriting at the time

Just go to Camping world and look at what they have.  The only difference between the part in this link and mine is the holes

Rinse Wand

In fact, I have one of these, it's somewhat anemic water flow did not do the job,  but I'm thinking of simply drilling a hole straight into the side of it about a half inch from the "Business end" and seeing if it will do as well.

The only thing is with that much water pressure... It may flex the want too much, it bends easier than 1/2 " pvc

just take a wand like that and put a one size down from a quarter inch hole in it's side near the end and you got it

I was able to keep the sensors on our last two Fleetwood Pace Arrows working with a combination of cleaning and using a bottle  Dawn dishwashing deterdgent every few months but the sensors national RV used on our Tradewinds refuse to work including have a commercial company blast them with high pressure water last spring to clean off the scaling that was on the tanks .(lasted 2 weeks!)

Since then I routinely rinse tanks, use Dawn monthly, and have tried other enviroment friendly chemicals with no luck.

How much dawn dishwashing detergent do you use.
Having same problem with sensors cloging..
Myron

Myron said:
How much dawn dishwashing detergent do you use.
Having same problem with sensors cloging..
Myron

A half-cup to cup ought to do it.  This may be listed earlier in this thread, but another thing to try is a bag or two of ice down the toilet.  Put in a few gallons of water + the detergent, and drive around for awhile.  The ice & soapy mixture will get tossed around while you drive and (theoretically) scrub the sides of the tank.  Empty the tank, refill with water, empty again, and see how the sensors act.

Why mess with those useless in tank sensors? You can upgrade to external tank sensors very reasonably and use the same wiring you already have. Check here for the SeeLevel. You can usually find the upgrade kits at most RV shows at special prices.

BruceinFL said:
Why mess with those useless in tank sensors?

Well that's true too.  I don't even use them... I just pay attention.  My version of "SeeLevel" of holding a bright flashlight against the slightly opaque outer surface of my black tank.  Works best at night.  The much darker fluid level can be seen, so I know how full the tank is.  ;)

scottydl said:
Well that's true too.  I don't even use them... I just pay attention.  My version of "SeeLevel" of holding a bright flashlight against the slightly opaque outer surface of my black tank.  Works best at night.  The much darker fluid level can be seen, so I know how full the tank is.  ;)

With my little TT, I have a version of that.  Turn off water pump, open toilet valve and shine a flashlight down to see how high the fluid level is.  Darn near fool proof.  Doesn't work for gray water, but that is not the same problem.

Back
Top Bottom