Black Water waste

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve

In reguards to the black water waste tank, is there a special type of T.P. that should be used and also a recommendation on the disinfectant used in the tank, to break up the waste.
Steve

Steve,

Chick the library button, top right and do a search on TP.  You won't believe how much info there is on the subject.

Jake

Ah, another candidate for the great TP Test. ?;D ? Somewhere in the depths of our library we have something on that subject. ? However, the short answer is yes. ?But not the stuff commonly sold in RV stores. ? The clue to those TP's that work well seems to be a label that says "Safe for Septic Tank Use". ? The most commonly sold brand that works is Scotts. ?Yeah plain old Scotts, which now labels itself as "Safe for Septic Tank And RV Use". ? Use it myself with no disasters to report over the last 5 yearls

Steve said:
In reguards to the black water waste tank, is there a special type of T.P. that should be used and also a recommendation on the disinfectant used in the tank, to break up the waste.
Steve

I received a Technical Alert from Thetford saying not to use Charmin Ultra beause it is clogging their units. They say to take one sheet of any TP and let stand in water 5 minutes. If the sheet breaks up it's OK.

blueblood said:
I received a Technical Alert from Thetford saying not to use Charmin Ultra beause it is clogging their units. They say to take one sheet of any TP and let stand in water 5 minutes. If the sheet breaks up it's OK.

True the last time I ran TP test on Charmin it was not good but probably no worse than Thetford's own TP.  We use Scotts single ply or second choice is Angel Soft.  The stuff for RV/s found in the RV stores should be avoided IMHO.

I just attended the seminar on cleaning tank sensors and other stuff

This very question was asked

The answer was Scotts or Angle Soft (A.S. is a thicker sheet, more comfortable)

The stuff sold for RV use in most camping stores not only breaks down rather slowly but I don't think it's as good as either of the above at it's designated purpose either (wiping)

Personal opinion on the last, I've used, oh, 8 rolls of it, over, 20 odd years of camping
(4 came free with the motor home)

I have not had a problem since I began using Scotts nearly a year ago.  Northern Quilt used to be recommended, but apparently they have changed their formulation so as not to be as RV friendly.  I know it jammed my macerator several times and I cured the problem with a switch to Scotts.

We used to use Thetford, and never had a problem, but it is expensive, and others here have reported problems with it.

On the subject of disinfectants, we refuse to use them.  We are fulltimers and occasionally are invited to hook up to sceptic tanks.  Disinfectants are life threatening to sceptic tanks.  We use RidX, just like the sceptic tank folk do.  We have never ever had a problem with odor.  Our tank has never seen a drop of disinfectant or any other kind of RV toilet juice.

Thanks all for responding to the T.P. and giving you expertise answers to it. Nothing is complete until the paper work is done.
Steve

Steve said:
Steve

Almost missed the chemistry in action part of the question.  What breaks down crud in the tanks is bacteria.  Your black tank works as a septic tank.  Therefore, the best stuff to add is nothing.  Let the microrobes do their thing in peace.

That said, there are times and conditions in which the tank seems to go sour and stinks up the RV.  In that case, it may become necessary to break the faith and use a deodorant until you can drain the tank.  Therefore, it probably is wise to carry and use  the dried non-formaldehyde deodorant that comes in sealed packets (longer shelf life).  Nevertheless,  that use should be occasional.

Back
Top Bottom