Bluebird makes its 400 th Electric School bus.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would posit the load limit signs like the speed limits are just a suggestion. 😎
I can accept your posit, but I think I'd rather be stopped for speeding than suddenly find myself at the bottom of a ravine.

For electric tractor trailer rigs the Federal government is allowing for 1 ton beyond the current 80,000 limit due to the heavier weight, whatever that is. Removing the load capacity signs on the bridges should fix any over weight issues.

I hope they also increase the weight related road taxes a like amount to compensate for the increased wear and tear on the roads.

i will be done motorhoming when I'm demanded to go electric, sitting in a traffic jam in 95 degree weather with the ac's on waiting for the batteries to run out. LOL
The A/C only draws a few KW. Not running the motor, stuck in traffic, you're good for many hours. 100 KWH battery will last the A/C at least 25 hours on full, non-stop, say if it draws 4 KW steady nonstop (which is probably the worst possible case). But it should last a lot longer than that sitting in traffic.

When you're driving up a hill, an RV could be then drawing a couple of hundred KWs. But less than 1 KW when sitting going nowhere, with no motor running. Add around 3 KW for the A/C on full for a total of a four KW load. Save a KW of load by turning the motor off with the A/C on, if you're not moving at all, so it's 3KW load instead of four.

-Don- Auburn, CA

The A/C only draws a few KW. Not running the motor, stuck in traffic, you're good for many hours. 100 KWH battery will last the A/C at least 25 hours on full, non-stop, say if it draws 4 KW steady nonstop (which is probably the worst possible case). But it should last a lot longer than that sitting in traffic.

When you're driving up a hill, an RV could be then drawing a couple of hundred KWs. But less than 1 KW when sitting going nowhere, with no motor running. Add around 3 KW for the A/C on full for a total of a four KW load. Save a KW of load by turning the motor off with the A/C on, if you're not moving at all, so it's 3KW load instead of four.

-Don- Auburn, CA
Same thing holds true for a gas powered car. It draws very little fuel when idling, the parasitic load of an air conditioner doesn't increase that small draw significantly. You should be able to idle an engine for at least 24-48 hours on a tank of gas, the difference is you can replenish the fuel in a couple of minutes instead of the better part of an hour when the "tank" is empty.

How many kids are killed in electric bus fires per year and how many are killed in school shootings?
Electric vehicles are much less likely to burn than gassers or hybrids. The insurance industry is all over this. Long term it’s possible there may be a fire hazard premium for gas vehicles.

34EA1C98-5F3C-4453-AA32-D74CA0BB9BE2.jpeg

I hope they also increase the weight related road taxes a like amount to compensate for the increased wear and tear on the roads.
I think it’s a 2.5 percent weight increase. So not sure how much they’ll worry about it.

Babylonebee. AKA, "The fake news we can trust".

-Don- Auburn, CA

We have seen our electric school buses out and about. We had a a minus 28 C cold snap for the last two weeks. They seem to be doing ok.

In other news, this cold snap was the first of the year. Lots of people with their gassers getting jumped by electric vehicles in the last week. Our trusty little portable jumper thingy jumped 3 in the last week. (Although one was same guy twice). 😂.

Happy to be driving electric. Our old grand Cherokee couldn’t hold a candle to our model Y in these conditions. And tomorrow brings freezing rain. 😊. Tis the season. 😊

Are they electric or gas caused fires for the higher percentage of the Hybrid?
See here.

"used data collected from the National Transportation Safety Board, the Bureau of Transportation Statistics, and government recall data from recalls.gov for the study, which found that there were only 52 EV fires in the US in 2021. This is compared to 16,051 hybrid vehicle fires and 199,533 fires for combustion (petrol and diesel) vehicles over the same period."

"But for electric vehicles and hybrid vehicles, fires are mostly caused by batteries."

But I question why because gas fires are more common than battery fires, so why would the hybrid have more battery fires?

-Don- Auburn, CA

Hybrids have a longer history than electric vehicles. So the batteries are relatively older.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom