Bluebird makes its 400 th Electric School bus.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Never happened?

2385_temp-graph-012721.jpg
I was in college in 1972 when the UN predicted the end of all life on earth by 1982. I heard the same thing again in 1982, 1992, and every 10 years since. After hearing the same prediction every 10 years for 50 years, when should I stop believing? Ever heard the saying "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me 6 6imes, shame on me." I quit being ashamed in 1992.

I was in college in 1972 when the UN predicted the end of all life on earth by 1982. I heard the same thing again in 1982, 1992, and every 10 years since. After hearing the same prediction every 10 years for 50 years, when should I stop believing? Ever heard the saying "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me 6 6imes, shame on me." I quit being ashamed in 1992.
I can’t find that quote from the UN.

Global warming is... wait for it... a global phenomena, not a localized event affecting small areas of the planet. When the average temperature of the planet increases, the ocean currents that affect much of our weather shift more than normal, causing weather extremes in both directions.

You mentioned the dust bowl, so you might want to note that it was a man-made ecological disaster affecting ~150,000 square miles, not a natural event.

But the National Weather Service says the dust bowl was caused by a 10 year drought and was a natural event?

Do you have a link for that? And if so, was the scientific method used to come to that conclusion?

Or was it just a pure nonsense prediction as I expect?

-Don- Auburn, CA
No matter what the science was you will insist that only the current scientific method is valid. I'm sure the UN would have been using the most accurate at the time. But read here about the 50 years of predictions. Where were you in 1972 that you didn't hear about it?

But the National Weather Service says the dust bowl was caused by a 10 year drought and was a natural event?
The drought itself would have been a problem, but the poor farming practices of the time exacerbated the problem to create the "dust bowl". Straight line plowing loosened up the dry soil leaving directional furrows that allowed the winds to carry the soil away in dust storms. Modern contour plowing would have minimized the problem, as has been proven many times since then.

Hasn't changed much over the years.

I don't care about anybody's nonsense predictions that are not based on science.

-Don- Auburn, CA
So the United Nations Climate Program has been making nonsense predictions not based on science for 50 years. I should just keep on believing for another 50 years? There's a guy here trying to sell me the Brooklyn Bridge. Guess I should get off here and write him a check.

Does anyone remember when we would only have 100 sq ft of living space per person by the year 2050?

So the United Nations Climate Program has been making nonsense predictions not based on science for 50 years.
When I read nonsense such as "only 11 years left speakers warn" it sure sounds more like a nonsense opinion than scientific fact to me.

-Don- Auburn, CA

So the United Nations Climate Program has been making nonsense predictions not based on science for 50 years. I should just keep on believing for another 50 years? There's a guy here trying to sell me the Brooklyn Bridge. Guess I should get off here and write him a check.
I looked up Mustafa Tolba and cannot find any publication other than the one you sourced, the NY Post, that quotes the good scientist as saying these things.

I looked up Mustafa Tolba and cannot find any publication other than the one you sourced, the NY Post, that quotes the good scientist as saying these things.
I remember the UN announcement in 1972. It was big news. I assume you were around in 1972 so why don't you remember?

How do we know the science today is any more correct than at any other time? No doubt in 1977, and 2006, the science was settled then too.

1672408062959.png

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

No doubt in 1977, and 2006, the science was settled then too.
There is real science and junk science.

IMO, whenever they say such things will happen by a certain time in the future, it is junk science. Perhaps just one person's opinion and not based on science at all.

-Don- Auburn, CA

By that definition we are spending billions to eradicate fossil fuel based on junk science.

By that definition we are spending billions to eradicate fossil fuel based on junk science.
The stuff will still happen, but the time it takes to become a serious problem isn't that easy to figure out scientifically and involves a lot of guesswork, IMO.

There are many worse ways to spend our tax revenue, IMO.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Back
Top Bottom